Does Higher VG Need More Flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
OK...I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. I appreciate everyone's responses. I was obviously confused on the qualities of the 2. I'm going to mix up my fave mix with a higher VG today. I use the Aspire BVC Glassomizer tanks and I also have a nautilus Mini (everything in my mini seems to choke me out...maybe the higher VG will help...??)

It seems like I remember the guy, where I used to buy retail e liquid, telling me that you can only go so high with the VG, with this type of atomizers, that I would need to go to a drip atomizer. Is this correct? If so, why? Also, if so, would this distilled water thing or grain alcohol fix that?

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
OK...I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. I appreciate everyone's responses. I was obviously confused on the qualities of the 2. I'm going to mix up my fave mix with a higher VG today. I use the Aspire BVC Glassomizer tanks and I also have a Nautilus Mini (everything in my mini seems to choke me out...maybe the higher VG will help...??)

It seems like I remember the guy, where I used to buy retail e liquid, telling me that you can only go so high with the VG, with this type of atomizers, that I would need to go to a drip atomizer. Is this correct? If so, why? Also, if so, would this distilled water thing or grain alcohol fix that?

The thickness of the liquid does not allow for adequate wicking to occur so by using a RDA or a "dripper" you are dripping the liquid right onto the wick for the most part so the thickness of the juice doesnt come into play and as a matter of fact if you drip to thin of liquid it would probally not saturate the wick as well because that thick liquid just works great and doesnt seep through the wick

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
The thickness of the liquid does not allow for adequate wicking to occur so by using a RDA or a "dripper" you are dripping the liquid right onto the wick for the most part so the thickness of the juice doesnt come into play and as a matter of fact if you drip to thin of liquid it would probally not saturate the wick as well because that thick liquid just works great and doesnt seep through the wick

K...what's the highest VG then, for these tanks?

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
K...what's the highest VG then, for these tanks?

I'd say 70% VG to avoid dry hits. I use 70/30 VG/PG in my Aspire Nautilus and it does fine. Since I drilled the hole out bigger it seems even better with no dry hits even if you chain it for a few. But anything over 70% I could see being way to slow to wick properly in such coils.

From what I have read most people use the Distilled water at 5-10% in their max VG juices to thin it out and make it less viscous for wicking.

CC

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
I'd say 70% VG to avoid dry hits. I use 70/30 VG/PG in my Aspire Nautilus and it does fine. Since I drilled the hole out bigger it seems even better with no dry hits even if you chain it for a few. But anything over 70% I could see being way to slow to wick properly in such coils.

From what I have read most people use the Distilled water at 5-10% in their max VG juices to thin it out and make it less viscous for wicking.

CC

So...if I wanted to go higher with the VG, I would use distilled water to thin it out...??

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
So...if I wanted to go higher with the VG, I would use distilled water to thin it out...??

Yes. This is what I do with my VG juices: %flavor + %water = 20-22%

This is for most common cartos and attys. For a tank-feeding RBA, like the Kayfun, I add another 5% water, give or take, to allow better wicking in my RBAs. I use organic cotton for the wick. This is a trial and error process, since too much water will kill the vape!

Water will also "open up" flavors in high VG juices. Most of my juices using regular flavors are 5% max. But then I also like my flavors to be fairly faint.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yes. This is what I do with my VG juices: %flavor + %water = 20-22%

This is for most common cartos and attys. For a tank-feeding RBA, like the Kayfun, I add another 5% water, give or take, to allow better wicking in my RBAs. I use organic cotton for the wick. This is a trial and error process, since too much water will kill the vape!

Water will also "open up" flavors in high VG juices. Most of my juices using regular flavors are 5% max. But then I also like my flavors to be fairly faint.

It's amazing how a little DW will thin VG. I use 5-10% and it works wonders. I actually like it too for what it does for the flavor.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
OK...I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. I appreciate everyone's responses. I was obviously confused on the qualities of the 2. I'm going to mix up my fave mix with a higher VG today. I use the Aspire BVC Glassomizer tanks and I also have a Nautilus Mini (everything in my mini seems to choke me out...maybe the higher VG will help...??)

I have only used 100vg in everything from evods to rta's. Sometimes wick needs to be adjusted for better flow.

If your running 70/30 you may not need to thin at all.. It just depends, try it first.

Start at 1% every 10% over 50/50 to stay at 50/50 consitency. Say you mix 70/30 and its too thick...2% water would bring it back close to the thickness of 50/50..

The most h20 I ever use is when its really cold out, then I run 10%h20, 3% flavoring, 100vg and running in tanks.... 100vg with 10% h20 is really thin, about like pg.

Oh, and you can use filtered tap water if its all you've got... & the juice won't be sitting more than a month.. I do it all the time.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have only used 100vg in everything from evods to rta's. Sometimes wick needs to be adjusted for better flow.

If your running 70/30 you may not need to thin at all.. It just depends, try it first.

Start at 1% every 10% over 50/50 to stay at 50/50 consitency. Say you mix 70/30 and its too thick...2% water would bring it back close to the thickness of 50/50..

The most h20 I ever use is when its really cold out, then I run 10%h20, 3% flavoring, 100vg and running in tanks.... 100vg with 10% h20 is really thin, about like pg.

Oh, and you can use filtered tap water if its all you've got... & the juice won't be sitting more than a month.. I do it all the time.

I recently began using DW becasue of Art M. He sent me a bottle of his mix and I believe it was 10% DW. It is in fact as thin as you say, but it really helps me to mix it that thin when I want to try the liquid ASAP. For the liquids I have made with DW I keep it at about 5% when I am more certain of going in.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Interesting. I don't get it, but it's still interesting. Ha!

VG and water are miscible, so form what is known as a "binary mixture". A 10% water in VG solution will boil at about 140C. Pure VG boils at 290C. It takes very little water to dramatically lower the bp. That vapor, however, is actually primarily water. So more volatiles will leave the liquid faster than the VG. This makes the liquid left in the tank become thicker as times goes on, and I suspect more depleted of the volatile flavor compounds. This has been debated here as being false, with people arguing that the vapor will have the same content as the liquid, and not change over time, but this defies simple thermodynamics of miscible mixtures. And is not my experience. In my 4.5 mL Kayfun, I often need to inject a bit of water to the tank to continue wicking well.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It also boils the water out first causing more popping. Water will vaporize before the VG at the coil, causing the water in the VG to violently explode steam out of the juice...

I typically find water actually affects the flavor negatively. I only use water when I have to due to cold temperatures. I find 100vg starts to thicken more below 60 degrees, when temps are below 55 I will need to add water for good wicking in a tank.. But I try to use as little as possible.

The difference can be seen by vaping VG with 10% water and putting your mod to your lips and blowing out.. You will see straight water condensed on it like a huge puddle..This is something I hadn't noticed before.. And would need to try straight VG to see if straight water is left behind.. I suspect not.

Since I have the company of some long time vapors...

Something else I noticed this week was that I tried using reverse osmosis water instead of filtered tap water.. For a few days I was wondering what happened to my flavor it was nearly gone.. Then I grabbed the bottle cut with regular water and the flavor was great... Anyone else notice this? ..

My thought is RO or DW are completely stripped and devoid of minerals that balance the water... Somehow the water molecules bounded to the flavor compounds... I don't know, but that's the explanation I came up with; because I never experienced this with regular filtered water.

As for the original question.. I have used 100vg for years and typically I use much less flavoring than other users of the particular concentrate. So not Much of difference just more shaking and a little more steep time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread