Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
They both were crappy vapes, I re-did them after the demonstration.

One was too few and the other was too many. Also the nature of the FC-2000 just wasn't a good match
for the 2 wrap 30 Gauge. It was just instantly burning up. Maybe I could have lowered the voltage but my DNA20D doesn't step down enough to make it vapable.

The 5 wrap just didn't vape right, don't know why but whenever I go above 4 wraps it's a lousy vape.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I experimented with a 4 wrap 29 Gauge which gave me a .95 Ohm Atty and I had to lower the Wattage down to 16 Watts or it began to burn up, while my 27 Gauge 4 Wrap .65 Ohm Vapes quite nicely at the full 20 Watts. I actually was tempted to put it up to 22 watts on my VV Bogger Box which outperforms the DNA20D but is not as civilized.

I'm convinced that Higher Gauge Wire burns hotter and faster than lower gauge wire and this is a factor why the off the shelf Attys/Cartos etc which are coiled with the High Gauge max out at much lower Volts before burning.

In a way this video demonstrated this concept.Same APV, Same RBA, Same Wick, Same Ohms, Same Watts, Same Voltage but the High Gauge was heating almost instantaneously and Red Hot!

This was real world, you could see the difference with your eyes.

Last edited:

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
I too, were a bit mesmerized by the DNA20 chip, so I started looking at DNA20-based mods. Primarily the Cyborg and the Wizard Evolved...

I noticed quickly on the datasheet that the unit's lower limit is 4V, which if you took the nominal battery volts of 3.7V (under heavy load), it means only one thing, it's a boost converter and not a traditional buck/boost you find in other VV and VW (with the exception of the Kamry K200 :))

So I then proceeded to design my own buck/boost converter and realized why they did a boost only. In order to achieve the size and complexity, I could not find a switcher small enough and had enough amperage to achieve the 20W spec...

However, I do commend them for their flex circuit with the OLED. Flex circuits ARE NOT cheap... Charging $50-ish per board is actually a good deal, anyone who has ever done PCB design and fabrication knows that in small quantities, a simple PCB can cost a hundred bucks or so per board, and that's just the board, it doesn't include the SMT house, flex boards, OLED screen (and the rest of items on the bill of material), testing.

That's just the cost of raw goods, factor in labor cost that was put into just designing the thing, and pretty soon, $50-ish per board is a drop in the bucket...

I am still a bit enticed in designing my own board though, maybe after I fiddle with some mechanical components (it's one thing to just design the electronics, the mechanical fabbing and how everything is put together is the bigger part).

That's why for those that say the Cyborg and even Wizard Evolved is overpriced, consider the raw initial investment that it took to even create prototype #1, and you'll see that their asking price isn't much... Sure, you can throw it in a box with parts from Digi-Key and Newark, but it's nowhere as elegant as the stuff we see from these metal tube-type DNA20 mods: Cyborg, Wizard Evolved, and El3V8tor (I really wish these guys didn't spell it with 'l33t' type spelling but hey, it's their creation :) )

USAGeorge

Jul 28, 2010
Stroudsburg,Pa
IMO it's more of an upgraded Vamo/Zmax/etc. than a DNA clone. Although we'll have to see what the UI looks like to know.
It has DNA20 guts,,,it isn't a clone in itself...Now if you want to see a knockoff clone,,,,,the same manufacturer has cloned Mamu's mods down to using her photograph,this one also carries a dna-20 inside... Not saying it's a nice thing or a bad thing to do,,it is what it is....

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
It has DNA20 guts,,,it isn't a clone in itself...Now if you want to see a knockoff clone,,,,,the same manufacturer has cloned Mamu's mods down to using her photograph,this one also carries a dna-20 inside... Not saying it's a nice thing or a bad thing to do,,it is what it is....

No one knows what the actual "guts" are although it carries the same specifications as the new Lambo 6, which is basically upgraded Vamo/Zmax. As I said.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
i think evolv done a wonderful job of providing modders with a ready to use board...

I'd design and spin my own boards, but at the quantities I want (5 or less), each board would end up costing me $500+ in material (PCB + BOM), labor, and testing (well free for testing since my own labor to myself is free :p)

I can't wait to get my first DNA20-based mod finished, I have all the materials, just need to find the time to design up the case and assemble it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread