Don't understand people!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
People are funny beings. If I was forced to use one word to describe how this planet works it would be CONFIDENCE.

If they feel you are too eager to help, they may lose confidence in your presentation and prefer to go around with the sad excuses you so eloquently listed. If they feel you have accomplished something and don't give a rat's behind about whether or not they quit, the chances of them quitting would be higher.

Based on your message, it seems like you really care and oddly enough that may be your biggest reason for having the lower conversion rate. I am always polite but distant. I make them feel as if they are occupying my time and my conversion rate is very high.

My :2c: based on my experiences.

Last edited:

aurea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Nashville, TN
docs.google.com
You're going to run into those kid of people everywhere. One of them is my own husband. Even after 3 months of me not touching a real cigi, he is refusing to even try my Lavatube or even my old Greensmoke............. He thinks vaping is ridiculous, sucking on a battery. There is no convincing him so I pretty much gave up on that.... He calls my LT a "peace-pipe" and doesn't want to switch. I even still have lots of Greensmoke cartos that he could use but nope, he doesn't want to..... :(

Just tell him how much you'll enjoy his retirement money because he wouldn't switch over!

aurea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Nashville, TN
docs.google.com
I got into vaping because a bunch of co-workers did, and then I went off the deep end. I found ECF and a BOAT LOAD of totally supportive and wonderful people with great advice! I found tons of juice vendors. I found other types eCigs. And I started buying and tasting and switching. 25 days strong and no looking back.

And now those ....'s are back to smoking, around me no, less. I keep looking at them dumbfounded!! REALLY, SERIOUSLY, you know the benefits!!!! They were the ones that got me started, they would tell me; oh man your sense of taste and smell BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. WHAT?!? Why are you SMOKING!!! Gah, they drive me crazy smoking around me!

Long story short I guess it's like any thing else it's a personal journey just like any other addiction (though I'd break everyone of my co-workers cigs for spite). Keep spreading the good info and you'll make converts one at a time!

Last edited:
After 3 months of vaping I still can not get my boyfriend to start. He always mentions how he quit cold turkey and I just switched 1 addiction for another. It's so frustrating ! The farthest I got with him was when we went out for a drink and he picked up my Kgo and started vaping. At that point I was like now wait a ....in minute here. You ..... at me all the time but now you just all of a sudden feel like vaping ? Hopefully I can get him to vape but if not oh well.

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
After 3 months of vaping I still can not get my boyfriend to start. He always mentions how he quit cold turkey and I just switched 1 addiction for another. It's so frustrating ! The farthest I got with him was when we went out for a drink and he picked up my Kgo and started vaping. At that point I was like now wait a ....in minute here. You ..... at me all the time but now you just all of a sudden feel like vaping ? Hopefully I can get him to vape but if not oh well.

Another and more accurate way to look at it is... not switching one addiction for another since the addiction is the same....nicotin. Only the deliver method changes with the side effect of droping all the nasty chemicals along the way.
Then one can work on reducing the one Chemical left:D

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
Lots of folks look at me strangely and I also get lots of questions. I'm a civilian for the Army and I still use the "smoking areas" as it's a parochial community and nobody has really addressed vaping. I've been in a school this week and I've had a lot of soldiers ask me lots of questions. I give the best answers I can and if they choose to go down the vaping path, great, if not I did my part anyway. I've been smoke free for over a month after smoking 2 PAD for 35+ years - I'm happy...

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I vaped for a few months at work and had some question me. I answered, but none took the plunge. I went out on a family emergency and was out for a few months. When I came back 2 of the 6 that were asking questions are now vaping. 1 part time vaping, and the other has completely replaced cigs. I guess we're all ready in our own time.

morri

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2012
Texas
I have had a few of these experiences. People are normally stubborn. Smokers are exceptionally stubborn. They have to be. I was. You were. How can you not be a smoker in this day and time and not be stubborn. It is flung in your face from morning till night that you are killing yourself, you are harming others, your friends, your family. You are harming the environment, yet you love smoking. I did. You did. Try to remember how you felt. They are normally on the defensive 100% of the time. They have to be and continue smoking.

I have found it more effective to tout how much I love vaping. How much I love the different tastes of the juice. How much better I can breathe, how good I feel, how nice it is to be able to smell again, etc etc. How great it is to smell my own hair and smile. I have even touted to my daughter that I have lost a few pounds, and I have. Because the fruit juices and dessert juices take my mind totally away from snacking. How much happier I am vaping. I never mention smoking. It is a subject that will put them into automatic defense mode. Just tell people how happy you are. If you are, it will show and people are always naturally curious about a light that glows. ;)

Happy Vaping

Morri

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The best one is....''I can't afford it now'' but they have money to buy 2 packs of cigarettes a day. daaa .........it would pay for it self in 3 days.

Ok I had been one of those people, yes I was spending $40 a week on analogs, but I with the way things where going I couldn't see then spending $40+ on something I didn't know if it would even work for me.

Not having any friends at the time that vaped, and not knowing about ECF, I was clueless. So it took me months after I first looked into it to buy my first disposable at the local smoke shop. Well it was great, I didn't mind not having an analog, but well they only last so long. Then made the mistake of trying one of these little cheap $20 things the battery life was horrid and the taste worse.

I stopped trying for a long time, til my boyfriend and I where talking and I was wanting to give it another shot, looking at another of those cheap wal mart specials, well he got me set up and pointed me here.

I know now I could afford it, but when you don't know what you are doing, and you make the mistake of just typing e-cig into a search engine it doesn't look promising.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
You've got to remember that everyone's relationship with their cigarette habit is their own. For some, there is going to be resistance due to the things that they don't perceive an e-cigarette to offer. I, for example, have always loved the smell of cigarette smoke. (Still do.) Some may prefer how a tobacco cigarette feels between the fingers. Whatever. People either will or won't be able to look beyond those deficiencies (for them).

*christy*

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2011
Bowdon, Georgia
I have 2 egos that i loan out to friends and family who want to try it out.. i let them sample my juices, fill 2 cartos with what they liked best ,instruct them how to use , loan my spare charger, give them small bottles of the two juices they picked, tell them that every time you want a cig pufff on this first, so far everyone of them has came back in a week to 2 weeks returning my stuff and stating ok lets sit down get online and get me set up :D i then let them use until theirs comes in. I dont press with anyone i just offer it up

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
My story is a bit stranger. Funny though.

I was standing outside in the smoking area, I work in a prison for those of you who don't know, when a fairly new guy walked over to the smoking area and THROUGH my vape cloud. Started doing the whole coughing waving his hand thing.

The smokers just BUSTED up laughing!! Was honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The SMOKERS laughing at this guy. He was getting ALL kinds of upset when one of the smokers took pity on him and explained my Reo to him (over the year + that I've vaped I've explained the Reo a few times, it would appear more folks where paying attention than I THOUGHT!).

Talk about RED faced. Guy stalked off. I'd like to say the smokers started asking me questions about the Reo but no dice. I've noticed SOME of them with e-cigs, but we'll see :0). I just vape away and explain it's a "type" of e-cig that lasts several days without fiddleing. Plant them seeds. One never knows what may come of them!

Last edited:

mmrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
michigan, usa
when i got into vaping i was like, "yay! i can smoke and not die. how cool is that?".. lol i know its not "smoking" exactly, which is a good thing, but its all in how you think about it..... it is the closest thing to smoking, and its way better in every aspect.

I have had a few of these experiences. People are normally stubborn. Smokers are exceptionally stubborn. They have to be. I was. You were. How can you not be a smoker in this day and time and not be stubborn. It is flung in your face from morning till night that you are killing yourself, you are harming others, your friends, your family. You are harming the environment, yet you love smoking. I did. You did. Try to remember how you felt. They are normally on the defensive 100% of the time. They have to be and continue smoking.

I have found it more effective to tout how much I love vaping. How much I love the different tastes of the juice. How much better I can breathe, how good I feel, how nice it is to be able to smell again, etc etc. How great it is to smell my own hair and smile. I have even touted to my daughter that I have lost a few pounds, and I have. Because the fruit juices and dessert juices take my mind totally away from snacking. How much happier I am vaping. I never mention smoking. It is a subject that will put them into automatic defense mode. Just tell people how happy you are. If you are, it will show and people are always naturally curious about a light that glows. ;)

Happy Vaping

Morri

Smokalo

Moved On
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
Most of the people whom I have shown the PV to are responsive and interested, but there are always a few people who just don't want to change even though they want to quit smoking, although I feel that they are just saying that to make themselves feel good because they acknowledge smoking is bad and eventually hope that they will quit. Apart from that, I've got many people to quit smoking by switching to a PV and so far most of them have no complaints, so that's a great improvement.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I've been told how awesome it looks, how cool tanks are, how neat my mods are, how much better off I seem to be and how much healthier I seem to be after switching. Some have tried it because I carry spare drip tips with me and allow people to try out my mods when I'm out at the bar and hanging with friends and they all seem to enjoy it and compliment how good it tastes and how hard-hitting it is.

Then a shrug, and they continue smoking.

I feel no guilt over their ignorance or lack of self-worth to better themselves. If those people really do wish to kill themselves, I'll spare no guilt over them pulling the trigger by lighting a cigarette and burning their money.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm at the point where I gave up. If they really want to quit they can research e cigs, snus, nasal snuff etc like I did. You have to have the initiative.
Nobody really asks me about my vaping at work. Last week I did an experiment where I vaped in the smoking section at work. Everyone ignored me except one guy who asked what it it was I told him it's an e cig. He asked how much was it and made the comment it was big lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread