Downsizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
So, one night this week, late at night, I popped one of my usual DIY snus hits in. Somehow, I must have gotten the dosage too large, as I immediately got a really bad case of the niccups. (Hiccups annoy the ever loving shiite out of me.) I got so mad, I tossed the portion and started over. Only this time, I cut the portion size in half. Usually, I do one click on a 3 ml Icetool to create my own portions. This time, due to my anger, I cut the one click down to 1/2 of a click. And in the spur of the moment, decided to stick with that size from now on.

That was several days ago and I am still using these micro-portions and honestly can't tell any difference from before. I did feel a bit odd or out of sorts the first day, but I must have adjusted to the lower nic hit since. And I've had no recurrences of the niccups since downsizing my DIY portions.

I can't and won't say that I am going to quit. I guess it's more of an experiment at this point, but I am loving it so far.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Interesting as I use the same amount on my RYO portions; one click on the 3ml icetool.

I've never been able to figure out exactly how much one click is. I'm guessing it's a bit less then one gram. I often feel as if I'm getting to much nicotine. In the past when I was doing RYO I got into hand backing. That was a problem as the portions just got bigger and bigger. I didn't need it as I never had any cravings.

When I got back into it recently I now do a strict regime of always using the icetool so I can measure it. My eyes are bigger then my cravings.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting as I use the same amount on my RYO portions; one click on the 3ml icetool.

Are you sensitive to higher nic levels?

I've never been able to figure out exactly how much one click is. I'm guessing it's a bit less then one gram.

Count the portions you get out of one can, then use that number as the divisor to calculate it. When I last counted, using one click on a 3 ml Icetool, I got 60 portions out of a 45 gram can. That means each hit was 3/4 gram. Be sure to check the cans though, because it seems the standard gram count of loose is lower now, usually around 40 grams.

When I got back into it recently I now do a strict regime of always using the icetool so I can measure it. My eyes are bigger then my cravings.

I think that had much to do with my original mistake here. I am working through a can of Offroad Licorice and licorice snus is like ambrosia to me.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
WerkIt! Good to see ya! Think of how much longer the tobacco will last at the smaller portion size.

I have 42 cans in the freezer and usually reorder when I get down to 40 cans. I may wait now.

Glad to hear it's going OK for you!

Part of the reason I originally wanted to get into loose was to have the ability to adjust the dosage up or down at will.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Are you sensitive to higher nic levels?

Count the portions you get out of one can, then use that number as the divisor to calculate it. When I last counted, using one click on a 3 ml Icetool, I got 60 portions out of a 45 gram can. That means each hit was 3/4 gram. Be sure to check the cans though, because it seems the standard gram count of loose is lower now, usually around 40 grams.

I think that had much to do with my original mistake here. I am working through a can of Offroad Licorice and licorice snus is like ambrosia to me.

I can do more nicotine, so I don't know if I am particularly sensitive, but I just feel lousy if I do to much. The problem may be that unlike cigarettes where my lungs would start feeling it if I smoked to much, there are less clues as to how much is enough. This snus, dissolvable, and e-liquid I'm using is just to damn good. Yummy stuff. I used to try and smoke less for health reasons, but that is not an issue now. I just get lethargic and foggy brained if I do to much, and I feel lighter and clearer headed if I back off. It takes a wee bit of discipline when I have mint and coffee snus in abundance in the fridge, and grandma's apple pie WTA liquid waiting on the self.

I'm glad you measured out the number of RYO portions. What you did was exactly what I was thinking of doing. I could just never quite get around to counting how many I was getting. One can does last a long time. I have to be careful not to have to many cans open at a time as they will dry out a bit once they are open. The bottom of the barrel can get pretty crumble. The SM loose are now 42 grams, and they used to be 45. The V2 are now 40 grams, and they also used to be 45. Still.... that's a lot of portions in a can if you RYO.

My two favorite loose snus are no longer made. Gotlands yellow and Gelivare where 50 grams a can.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I am still on the same can. However, I have portioned out the rest of the can for the next few days. The final tally of portions for this 45 gram can, using 1/2 of one click on a 3 ml Icetool is 123. That means each of these DIY portions average little more than 1/3 gram (.3658 gram to be exact.) It is now Wednesday and I am still on the same can I opened late last Tuesday night a week ago. At this dosage, it looks as if one can will last 11 days. I have another 47 portions left to go in that same can, which should get me through at least 4 more days.

This is all a grand experiment and I am the lab rat. Given that it has worked out well so far, I have decided on the next can I open, I will cut the portions in half again, doing half of one click on a 3 ml Icetool, then slice the resulting disk in half with a razor blade to create two portions from the half click, and see how that goes.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I am still on the same can. However, I have portioned out the rest of the can for the next few days. The final tally of portions for this 45 gram can, using 1/2 of one click on a 3 ml Icetool is 123. That means each of these DIY portions average little more than 1/3 gram (.3658 gram to be exact.) It is now Wednesday and I am still on the same can I opened late last Tuesday night a week ago. At this dosage, it looks as if one can will last 11 days. I have another 47 portions left to go in that same can, which should get me through at least 4 more days.

This is all a grand experiment and I am the lab rat. Given that it has worked out well so far, I have decided on the next can I open, I will cut the portions in half again, doing half of one click on a 3 ml Icetool, then slice the resulting disk in half with a razor blade to create two portions from the half click, and see how that goes.

Man Werkit, pretty soon you'll be able to just lay the empty teabags on top of an unopened can an it will last forever. Now that's cheap snussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread