Dr Farsalinos crowfunding campaign and research

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreashadji

Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Athens,Hellas
A study was completed recently and presented at an international congress.

Are we or the manufacturers aware of diacetyl presence in e liquids?do the manufacturers test their ingredients for the substance and should we as consumers demand it?

Food for thought...

http://ecigarette-research.com/DA_AP-poster-GFN-FINAL.pdf

Sent from my kayfun lite + using Tapatalk

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I can't seem to download this link, is anyone else having problems, or am I the only one?

EDIT: I went to the website where this supposedly came from and didn't find any such findings there. I believe that when the peer review is done, Dr. Farsalinos himself will post the findings.

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Thank you Ryedan, I was able to click on the link directly and it did show up. So I'm looking at the findings of

"Conclusions. DA and AP were found in a large proportion of sweet-flavored EC liquids, at levels that were higher than the strictest safety limits but significantly lower compared to smoking. The presence of these chemicals in EC liquids represents an avoidable risk. Proper measures should be taken by EC liquid manufacturers and flavoring suppliers to eliminate these hazards from the products, without necessarily limiting the availability of sweet flavors."

As a consumer I would like to know which sweeteners they're talking about so I can contact my ejuice vendor and find out if they use those sweeteners. Are we talking about ethyl maltol?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a consumer I would like to know which sweeteners they're talking about so I can contact my ejuice vendor and find out if they use those sweeteners. Are we talking about ethyl maltol?

Good to see it's working for you Rosa!

I don't think DA and AP comes from sweeteners, rather from flavorings. The buttery and creamy flavors are easy to create with DA.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Update: "Once again, we would like to thank all contributors for helping us raise the necessary funds for this very important study.
The study has been completed. The results have been presented as poster in the first Global Forum on Nicotine (Warsaw, 2014), and you can see it here: http://gfn.net.co/downloads/2014/posters/122 Farsalinos - DA_AP.pdf
The study will also be published very soon in a very respectable medical journal.

We believe this study was of crucial importance because we have detected an important but avoidable problem in e-cigarette liquids. Although still e-cigarettes confirmed their role as tobacco harm reduction products, I am confident all the necessary steps will be taken to make e-cigarette liquids safer than they currently are. It is a golden opportunity for the industry to show that they are responsible and caring for the vaper.
We plan to return for another crowdfunding campaign, since this study has generated more research questions that need to be answered.
Once again, thank you all for your contributions and for following our work."

Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Thank you Ryedan, I was able to click on the link directly and it did show up. So I'm looking at the findings of

"Conclusions. DA and AP were found in a large proportion of sweet-flavored EC liquids, at levels that were higher than the strictest safety limits but significantly lower compared to smoking. The presence of these chemicals in EC liquids represents an avoidable risk. Proper measures should be taken by EC liquid manufacturers and flavoring suppliers to eliminate these hazards from the products, without necessarily limiting the availability of sweet flavors."

I agree!!!!!

Good to see it's working for you Rosa!

I don't think DA and AP comes from sweeteners, rather from flavorings. The buttery and creamy flavors are easy to create with DA.

This is where things become confusing to many of us. I've read different/conflicting information for almost a year now. I've read it was sweeteners, I've read it was the flavorings, I've read it can be a chemical reaction when heated due to both-so confusing. I hope studies like these will pin point the causes so we are all safer and give less fuel to the fire for those who want to ban ecigs.

But it starts with facts and getting our ejuice vendors to step it up and use safer products. Wish the results would let us know what/which ejuices are falling short in safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread