Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I believe the AVA is/has hired a lobbyist, right? Or am I thinking of someone else? Or is that something being worked on yet? :unsure:

I think you're right. The 'about us' pretty much sounds like a lobbying group:

We are dedicated to educating the public and government officials about the growing evidence that vapor products and e-cigarettes – battery-powered devices that heat a liquid nicotine solution and create an inhalable vapor – are harm reduction products that effectively help smokers quit.

And their employment of BGR Group:

BGR Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BGR Group is a lobbying firm based in Washington DC

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I think you're right. The 'about us' pretty much sounds like a lobbying group:

We are dedicated to educating the public and government officials about the growing evidence that vapor products and e-cigarettes – battery-powered devices that heat a liquid nicotine solution and create an inhalable vapor – are harm reduction products that effectively help smokers quit.

And their employment of BGR Group:

BGR Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BGR Group is a lobbying firm based in Washington DC

Thanks Kent! :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
First of all, acetyl propionyl is not any better than diacetyl (although there are fewer studies verifying this). In my opinion, acetyl propionyl should NOT be used.
Acetoin would be fine, as long as it is not contaminated with diacetyl!
One of the conclusions of our study is that you should not trust any statements, but only the official results of testing. I cannot express it any simpler than that...
As mentioned, the median values were much lower than cigarettes and only 2 times higher than safety limits. However, as you can understand there were samples with some extreme levels. We mention in the paper submitted for publication. 15% of the samples had >10 times higher levels of diacetyl that current safety limits, and a further 10% had >100 times higher diacetyl levels than the current safety limits.

Dr.F, under what conditions is acetoin fine? Is it impossible to include this and it not be contaminated?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Dr.F, under what conditions is acetoin fine? Is it impossible to include this and it not be contaminated?

No, not impossible. The acetoin bought by the compounder simply needs to be tested, or else a COA could be included with the purchase. Some acetoin manufacturers are evidently producing clean acetoin. Might be a price difference, however.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
No, not impossible. The acetoin bought by the compounder simply needs to be tested, or else a COA could be included with the purchase. Some acetoin manufacturers are evidently producing clean acetoin. Might be a price difference, however.

Thanks, Kurt. I posted in another thread that acetoin should be fine as long as it wasn't contaminated (and referenced Dr.F saying that), and a couple members posted that because oxidation occurs so easily, acetoin, as they put it, will "always" have "some" diacetyl in it. I am not concerned with trace levels, so I wonder if this a matter of percentages, even if minuscule?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
This thread is now closed.

The subject is obsolete ('donate'), and this thread title is now confusing and misleading.

Also - we are expecting to assist Dr Farsalinos with his next funding drive before long.

By all means please open a new thread perhaps in General Vaping Discussion to finish any discussion of this last study and any points that arise from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread