Dry hits because of Ni200 wire?? I don’t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Here, but I forgot when and which thread.

Just in case you didn't know, any thread you post in or manually set as watched, can be seen below. Just select Watched Threads.

2022-03-04_094805.jpg

If there isn't any unread posts, you need to also select Show all watched threads too. Then all of your watched threads show up.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
You don't need to check for hotspots when building spaced coils, which is the only option for Ni200 wire.
Of course I have to check my spaced coils, I build them without special tools, I just wrap wire around a rod, and it’s totally possible that two wires get a little bit too close. If the coil is heating up unevenly, I need to correct that.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    If you dryburn Ni200, the coil is ruined.
    If the coil gets glowing hot, it develops a nickeloxide layer, which is toxic and highly unhealthy.
    So no. You absolutely DO NOT want to DRYBURN NICKEL to check for hotspots. The same is true for titanium as well btw.
    Is the same true for ni90/80 ?
    Since it is 90/80% nickel with 10/20% chromium and ni200 is just 100% nickel.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    Of the wire types where dry burning is common NO coil should be dry burned beyond a "dull" orange glow. It does not take much power to accomplish that.

Dry burn a coil to a bright orange, or near red, glow and ya might as well toss the coil.

There are plenty of discussions, and a few decent YT videos, covering this. They are easily found.

There are a few popular Review sites where the build is heated to bright orange/red? They do not explain the time or color to stop checking for hot spots. They then wick and vape.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Of the wire types where dry burning is common NO coil should be dry burned beyond a "dull" orange glow. It does not take much power to accomplish that.

Dry burn a coil to a bright orange, or near red, glow and ya might as well toss the coil.

There are plenty of discussions, and a few decent YT videos, covering this. They are easily found.

ROTFLMAO!!

The only TRUE portion of your statement is that YES it does not require much wattage to get a coil glowing.

It takes a few months to get a coil "gunked up" even with unflavored juice. This is fairly easy to notice as the vapor production drops off. Then comes the ritual of exposing the coil, removing the wick and then DRY BURNING (and YES very very bright red) the gunk off. Once all the gunk is gone (and the coil has returned to room temperature) rewick and reprime/flood the wick/coil and reassemble.

After all, it is just WIRE. Even 'heating wire' to be more specific. There is nothing wrong with letting it GLOW.

Frankly, I actually can't recall the last time I wound a coil. :)

Disclaimer: when it comes to NI200 I use 28awg and NEVER seem to get the wick out without destroying the coil, so have never dryburned NI200 coils. (IDK: high heat may make the coils harder or softer)
    With TI coils if you get the coil hot enough a white residue (oxide) will form on the coil. The idea of getting this oxide in their lungs scared the paranoids (it can be simply and easily washed off) so they migrated to SS.

g.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    :lol: :lol: LMFAO. That ^^^ is a very lame and highly inaccurate statement. One that is made as though it's coming from a so-called expert. Who clearly is anything but.

You should have learned by now that your personal vaping experience does not apply to all. FYI, that was covered way back in Vaping 101. Thinking a refresher course is in order.

:rolleyes: Not very Bright about wire. Comical in fact. Must be one of those 'Popular Reviewers' who are glowing bright red.

Go do some ACTUAL research about wire Before Posting Complete and Utter Nonsense On a Public Forum For All To See. :lol: :lol:

Not going to waste my time trying to penetrate Thick Concrete in order educate you.

What is very crystal clear to me is you are not very experienced.

My advice to you... Think Before Replying To My Post. In fact don't bother. You will only be wasting your time. :thumb:

Please only comment on items you are actually knowledgeable about.

From your prior posts your not.

I've been vaping since 2013. What about you?

g.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread