DTL vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I think your Picos should handle DTL - at least to begin with. If you enjoy it, you'll probably notice battery life is a bit shorter.

The nautilus 2 and 2S can do a sort of restricted DL if you open the airflow right up. They have coils for it (0.4 and 0.7 ohm, IIRC). Maybe worth trying before you buy new tanks? I don't know how they compare with the Zenith - sorry.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Friends,

I currently use Nautilus 1 usually with 1.6 ohm coils and also Zenith tank, have both 0,6 and 1.6 ohm coils.

I want to try DTL. Strange, I read MTL is more similar to analog cigarretes, but when I used to smoke, and most my friends that smoke analogs, do direct to lung.

DTL has to be 0,5 ohm from what I read, 0,6 is not? and high wattage for that, right?

What is the best DTL tank for those that want too much of a complex setup? Is the Nautilus 2 one of them? Can my Zenith be used as DTL? I dont have some subohm coils.

Thanks!

never mind. I missed that you said you owned a PICO.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@robertboyl - You don't have to get a new or different mod to change to DTL vaping. Your regular 75W Pico would work for you. I have several friends who subohm vape, DTL, and they use them all the time.

I have no personal experience with tanks for DTL though, because I'm strictly a low wattage, higher ohm, Tootle Puffer myself. Other people will definitely be more help to you with specific tank info.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks again everyone!! :))
There’s a third option: some of us (not that many, I’m sure) don’t inhale at all. It seems that nicotine is just as well absorbed through the mouth, so inhaling isn’t necessary. It was awkward at first and a little unsatisfying, but after a couple of days a was used to it. And it works best with low wattage setting or TC, because you can only draw slowly. I guess I still inhale a tiny amount, but only very little.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks again everyone. Great tip on the restricted DTL with my Zenith and current setup, I will try it again soon.

I guess I misunderstood. When I ask friends, smokers, ex-smokers, they all seem to at least think they do that big drag on the analogs direct to he lung, which gives more pleasure, but in reality I guess they surely do a lot of MTL too, just not so perceptive, not necessarily to mouth then waiting and dragging to lung...

If I do like the DTL, what you recommend in terms of a safe ecig to buy and do I need a new tank? Is the Nautilus 2 capable of DTL? I saw it on some site referred to as DTL, but others mention Nautilus as MTL, at least Nautilus 1 I know is.

I dont build own coils or nothing of the type, prefer to keep it simple and easy.

Thanks again.

I smoked for 35 years and when I started vaping, I had no idea what anyone meant by the terms dtl and mtl. I thought I was doing dl. I didn’t honestly know the difference until I went from a mtl tank to a dl one.

I think it’s just a matter of we don’t really analyze our smoking style and hence never notice how smoke rather pauses briefly in the mouth before going to the lungs.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
The zenith is better than the n2 at doing a restricted DTL vape (I have one of b both), but i not the same experience as 'proper' DTL It suits me fine, because I like an airy draw and don't really inhale that much.

I do have a kanger DTL tank which has drop in coils. I mainly got it because most of the interesting flavours were high VG and was eager to upgrade from ego set ups. I still use it too.

I'd advise getting a DTL tank with drop in coils if you want to try DTL, because although the zenith and n2 are nice tanks they're not really the same even with af wide open etc

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I haven't personally used it, but the aspire nautilus 2s with its option of a DTL and mtl draw would be a good option for you. At least then either way you gain a tank that you can use in whatever style you prefer.

If you find you do like DTL. The vaporesso NRG se tank is a great flavour tank with a 22mm diameter, so it will fit on your picos. I vape mine mtl 90% of the time and DTL 10% ;) and use the include gt ccell 0.5 ohm coil with it.

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2012
    Canada
    Great tips again, thanks!

It ends up I found I do have a DTL tank, the Ello Vate, which came with my Pico S. Unfortunately, the coil it came with I damaged, but Ill get some coils to test it. Its a good choice?

I did get a grasp of what it feels like, seems interesting, alternating DTL, MTL and ways to vape, releasing from noke, DTL, MTL, seems to be a way to give me the satisfaction I used to have with analogs.

I did enjoy the DTL restricted using my Zenith and 0,5 ohm coils.

Thanks again, everyone.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    In the 35+ years that I smoked, no one I knew ever smoked DTL ... except when using certain hand-rolled, non-tobacco varieties.
    I was a dl smoker and couldn't quit until I took the dl route with vaping. There are actually quite a few of out there.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Great tips again, thanks!

It ends up I found I do have a DTL tank, the Ello Vate, which came with my Pico S. Unfortunately, the coil it came with I damaged, but Ill get some coils to test it. Its a good choice?

I did get a grasp of what it feels like, seems interesting, alternating DTL, MTL and ways to vape, releasing from noke, DTL, MTL, seems to be a way to give me the satisfaction I used to have with analogs.

Thanks again, everyone.
    You can get a very nice rl from the Zenith with a different wider bore dt, much cheaper route to take and would be the same for the Aspire tanks.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
    Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    Friends,

I currently use Nautilus 1 usually with 1.6 ohm coils and also Zenith tank, have both 0,6 and 1.6 ohm coils.

I want to try DTL. Strange, I read MTL is more similar to analog cigarretes, but when I used to smoke, and most my friends that smoke analogs, do direct to lung.

DTL has to be 0,5 ohm from what I read, 0,6 is not? and high wattage for that, right?

What is the best DTL tank for those that want too much of a complex setup? Is the Nautilus 2 one of them? Can my Zenith be used as DTL? I dont have some subohm coils.

Thanks!

Ouch! My brain just bled imagining DL on analogs... I guess nothing can stop you if you really wanna do something. You can DL even on 1ohm coil as long as there's enough air flow. Saying that and imagining you used to DL analogs? Well even on your current set up you can DL. Just to exactly what you did with analogs. I'm still wondering how you managed to do that though.

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    I was a dl smoker and couldn't quit until I took the dl route with vaping. There are actually quite a few of out there.

Oh, I don't doubt that one bit ... but, in terms of the bit of the OP I was responding to, I don't think that 'most smokers' do DL with cigarettes. I mean, I don't honestly know how many smokers are DL, but my guess would be significantly less than half.

Nevertheless, even a small-ish percentage of the smoking population is still a lot of people and it is good that DL vaping is a much more available option now than when I started. Heck, for a while it seemed the marketplace was going full DL, but thankfully it seems rather more balanced these days.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    I think it’s just a matter of we don’t really analyze our smoking style and hence never notice how smoke rather pauses briefly in the mouth before going to the lungs.

I, personally, MTL'd tobacco...and DL'd the stuff that looks like tobacco (but is not)…

nicotine is just as well absorbed through the mouth, so inhaling isn’t necessary.

Actually...since the PG/VG "particles" containing the nicotine are larger than the combusted smoke "particles" containing the nicotine...much less nicotine is absorbed by the lungs when vaping (vs. smoking)…

There are NUMEROUS nicotine receptors in the nasal mucosa...followed by lesser amounts (but still more than the lungs) in the oral mucosa...

Thus...I find MTL vaping very satisfying...but after inhaling into the lungs...I exhale through the nose...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015

I was hoping you'd try it with all 5 AF holes open and use the 0.5ohm coil...and then like it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :thumbs: Did you swap out the driptip for one with a bigger bore/hole, too?

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2012
    Canada
    Hi, everyone

Ends up I found an extra coil that came with Ello Vatte (That came with my iStick S). The coil is 0,15 ohm! So Ive been vaping it at 25 W and even higher. Enjoyed it quite a bit. It really is quite different. When I remember analogs due to DTL its because I can do that bigger drag as I used to do with analogs, at the same time, it can be sometimes a bit harsh, I close up quite a bit of the airflow. Anyway, this will surely help me to say off analogs, I guess I also enjoy the variations, MTL, DTL, releasing vape from nose, etc...

Thanks!

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2012
    Canada
    Hi,

JCinFLA, I did try with the 0,8 coil and all holes open on Zenith tank with 15 W and this one I tested with 0 nic juice. I did like it, but I feel the Zenith not so open in terms of airflow, but I enjoy it. Will test this with my NIC juices also.

I had mixed feelings with DTL! :) At first, I really liked it, AF holes all open, but then, it started feeling really harsh, I coughed a lot, etc. Now I see what everyone says, I thought I did DTL when smoking analogs, but it was surely mostly MTL...

I found that, the Ello Vatte with my iStick S, the 0,15 ohm coils, I saw some vaping tables recommending something like 50 W. Way too much for me. I found the ideal point is 25 W and the airholes barely opened... Just a tiny bit opened.

I think I still prefer MTL :) Better taste and less agressive. The Nautilus 1 and the Zenith, each one seem to have their advantagens, sometimes I feeel Nautilus has more airflow, even compared with Zenith all open. The taste is good in those both, perhaps better than DTL.

Maybe Ill get some DTL coils, use it sometimes, I guess what I conclude is I do enjoy the variation, as some folks here said.

That's it. Thanks everyone, for all tips.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread