Status
Not open for further replies.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Have the dual coils gone through any changes since they first came out? Cause I still have some of the originals when Drew started selling them. They worked great on my ego but the draw on the Darwin was so tight I gave up. I tried them with an adapter and without and for me they were like trying to suck down a thick malt! So I'm curious if they've gone through a revision before I waste any money.

I am not completely sure because I probably never tried those ones but I have tried various ones on the darwin and have not had a draw issue. I was using the jumbo clear ones but now I use the colossals because they hold more juice. They pretty much hit the same with the built in adapter and even when I stack one extra to make the darwin close :ohmy:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Some people like dual coils but the technology of Darwin limits them somewhat. While dual coils are rated at lower Ωs, they are really 2 higher Ωs coils wired in parallel. They really shine on unregulated 6V. Darwin will read them at the same Ωs as a multimeter and has no way on knowing they are dual coils. So Darwin provides Regulated Power based on the Ωs reading. if you turn the watts way up, you get some power but most people that I know who like them (and have Darwins) usually use the DCs on unregulated 6V devices 9with 2x3v batts).

I do sometimes use the EMDCC on darwin and have to turn it way up to get good flavor. But they are AMPS hogs and will certainly drain your batts faster (as will LR attys and cartos) than standard or higher Ωs single coils which draw less amps.

So far, and I've been using Darwins for about 10 months now, the Boge 2.5 to 3Ωs cartos are my favorite. Higher Ωs single coils just give you more range in the watts scale.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Well I've got like 4 boxes of originals just sitting round collecting dust! I got a go go to use for stealth and my Darwin.and I think their at 2.5 ohm

2.5Ωs dual coil cartos exist but are not yet commonly found. I grabbed a few at vapefest in Vegas but have not tried them yet. While I am not 100% sure this is correct, I believe a dual coil carto with a 2.5Ω rating may have two 5Ωs coils in it (wired in parallel should read as 2.5Ωs). If yours fit on Darwin, Darwin will tell you what the Ωs rating is on first button press. If you have a multi-meter, you can test them before you put them on Darwin. To start, set Darwin at the soft-stop on the wheel (8.5 watts, some units this soft-stop may be at 8.4 or 8.6 but whatever yours is, use that as a starting place). Then adjust up/down slowly to taste. If they are dual coils, don't be surprised if they vape much cooler than regular 2.5Ωs cartos until you get to the upper range of the scale. However, do NOT start at the top of the scale just in case they are not dual coils. If you start at high watts, and they are single coils, you may get a burnt taste - could possibly burn some of the filler and then the carto will never really taste right. Just start mid-way and play from there.

While I am not a fan of dual coils, I do try the new ones occasionally. I have not found any that I like - yet. However, I find the EMDCC holds a lot of juice and has the best flavor (of all DCCs I have so far tried) for my juice - but only at higher watts settings on Darwin.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread