Dual coil attys on Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

.gregory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Haven
In my post I said The Darwin can put out up to 12.9 Volts...!2.7 watts refers to watts and 12.9 Volts refers to volts. If you take your atomizer off and look at the screen while you are pushing the buttons you will see 12.9 Volts.

Touché, I misunderstood your post That fact that that the Darwin can produce 12.9V is irrelevant as it is limited to 12.7W. I haven't seen a atomizer over 5ohms, which would need 7.96V to produce 12.7W, it's like driving a Ferrari with a 80mph governor. Regardless, as you can read from Brandon's email, each coil is only getting 6.35W- in my opinion it's not sufficient for dc cartos, perhaps their reason for investigating a 19W cap? But once again taste is subjective, so if your happy with 4.5V with the the DCs that's great, I think there better at 5+V.

Last edited:

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
I run the 2.0 Ohms actually and ironically that is exactly what this one is running at at 12.7 Watts (4.9 to 5.0) Volts but the actual resistance is 1.9 Ohms, but its really hot...I prefer to run it at 10 watts and its giving around 4.4 Volts which is pure delicioso...
Actually Ive been vaping a Darwin for almost a year now since before they even came out with Dual coils, which is when they decided not to use the 19 watt cap and decided to cap it at 12.7. I think your right about the having too much is overkill. The reality is that most people would blow through a bunch of attys and cartos with higher settings that are really impractical. Have you pulled any of those (1.5 Ohm)vertical coil cartos apart after running them at 5+ volts?
That might just change your mind about them.
Overall I have to agree with you that the 1.5 Dual coils are not ideal for the Darwin, but there are probably a few that would disagree with us both....BTW since you have a Darwin you dont need that old Ohms Law calculater, you can just throw an atty on there and read what is really goin on!!!
Drew

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I have some of the black 2 ohm dual coils and the taste for some reason the flavor is better on the 1.5 ohm ones. I have a V3 that is a 6 V device and have used it with the dual coils and when the batteries are freshly charged the 1.5s work better than 12.7 on the Darwin but for consistent performance the Darwin wins as those dualies drain batteries fast. I think 19 watt cap is too high. Maybe capping it off at 14 Watts would be better. At 19 watts I would think the battery life would not be that great.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The Darwin puts out up to 12.9 Volts and can deliver that voltage instantaneously, meaning that both coils will turn cherry red imediately. Where a VV box mod will heat the lower coil and slowly heat the second one up while the lower coil is burning the wicking.

I probably have no business posting here because I don't have a Darwin. So, ignore me, if you want but, I don't see how this statement can be right assuming both coils have the same resistance. The coils are wired in parallel. So, the VV has to deliver the same power to both coils at the same time. Same as the Darwin.

The Darwin is wondrous device to be sure but, unless I'm missing something, what it's doing is measuring the resistance and varying the voltage to get consistent power usage (watts). I don't see how it can do something that can't be done with a VV. It just does it more consistently and with less fiddling. So, I'm interested, educate me please.

You guys are going to wind up costing me money aren't you? :)

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
I probably have no business posting here because I don't have a Darwin. So, ignore me, if you want but, I don't see how this statement can be right assuming both coils have the same resistance. The coils are wired in parallel. So, the VV has to deliver the same power to both coils at the same time. Same as the Darwin.

The Darwin is wondrous device to be sure but, unless I'm missing something, what it's doing is measuring the resistance and varying the voltage to get consistent power usage (watts). I don't see how it can do something that can't be done with a VV. It just does it more consistently and with less fiddling. So, I'm interested, educate me please.

You guys are going to wind up costing me money aren't you? :)

Honestly I had 2 full years of Electrical Theory, and these DCs dont make any sense theoretically. Im not positive they are wired in Parallel....Here's what you can do if you are really that curious. Pull the stuffing out of CLear DC carto...Be careful not break the coil . Then put it on your VV Box Mod and hold the button down. You will see that the lower coil will turn red as many as 5 to 7 seconds quicker than the upper coil. Now if thats the way a parellel circuit SHOULD act then my teachers were all mixed up.
Drfew

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Honestly I had 2 full years of Electrical Theory, and these DCs dont make any sense theoretically. Im not positive they are wired in Parallel....Here's what you can do if you are really that curious. Pull the stuffing out of CLear DC carto...Be careful not break the coil . Then put it on your VV Box Mod and hold the button down. You will see that the lower coil will turn red as many as 5 to 7 seconds quicker than the upper coil. Now if thats the way a parellel circuit SHOULD act then my teachers were all mixed up.
Drfew

My degree's in mechanical engineering but, even I had enough circuit theory to know that's not how they are supposed to act in parallel. Though most of that theory is for steady state not warm up. Five to seven seconds is an awful long warm up though. I wonder if some of the wizards in the modders forum could shed some light. I do know there was a post from someone that managed to fry one coil without frying the other. They still got a little vapor. That would say they aren't in series.

Still if it's acting that way on a VV, I don't see what the Darwin could to to make it act differently. Unless we are talking about cartos that don't make sense on a device that doesn't make sense. :)

Really I was just curious. I'm more of an atty man myself. I use bottom feeders mostly.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
My Degree is also in Mech. Eng. but I worked as an Electrician for 5 years, and earned a Journeyman and went on to test for a License before I even started scool for M.E., which is why I had a full 2 years of theory...I worked through my Aprentiship with Johnson Controls World Services and helped design and develope the Medasys Automated Building Ops System and as soon as we finished the project I left the company.
Unfortunately this discussion is better based in Electronics as the Darwins Power capabilities far exceed any device on the market. Its a matter of instantaneous power. Most VVs have 2 batteries in series and regulate the voltage down or have a single prism cell that boosts the voltage up.
The Darwin has 2 LiPolly cells in Parellel that give instantaneous (not ramped up) power to the coil of your cartos or attys... Its the only Power Regulated Device available right now.
I almost think that the coils could be wired in a Parellel/Series circuit somehow which could explain it...
Actually I just vape them...If they are running cooler I just give the thumbwheel a little roll and they warm right up. I havent had the need to tear one apart and ring it out yet, so no worries here!!!
Drew

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
If you turn on an electric heater, do all coils turn red at the exact same time? Not in my experience. I'm a software engineer, so this is just my take, but my guess is the lower coil eats up similar to a capacitor or inductor. There is also probably a sag in current when the button is first pressed that the Darwin will compensate for but a VV box mod just has to roll with it.

I personally like higher resistance attys on the Darwin, I am using 3.5 ohm now. Higher resistance allows for more fine tuning of the wattage.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
If you turn on an electric heater, do all coils turn red at the exact same time? Not in my experience. I'm a software engineer, so this is just my take, but my guess is the lower coil eats up similar to a capacitor or inductor. There is also probably a sag in current when the button is first pressed that the Darwin will compensate for but a VV box mod just has to roll with it.

I personally like higher resistance attys on the Darwin, I am using 3.5 ohm now. Higher resistance allows for more fine tuning of the wattage.

Indeed. I wish there was a way to tell the darwin that the resistance of the dual coil is actually double what it is reading. I was loving the 2.5 ohm dual coils but I recently tried some colossal 2 ohm ones and they taste better for some reason and I don't mind that it won't go above 5 volts. For atomizers, I prefer 3.5-4 ohm though :D

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
Interesting thread, I just popped on 1.6ohm triple coils and I can't bear to run it at more than 6.7 watts. No clue on the math. The Darwin has been reading it at 1.5ohms.

Taste is really nice and the lower volts give me less throat irritation than my Ego Booster did. All this time I thought I wanted to run it at more than 5v, guess I was wrong on that score.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Again a non-darwin owner posting in a darwin thread. My understanding is that most electronic components are limited by amps as well as volts or the combination which would be watts.

Using this ohm's law calculator, vocr's 1.6 ohms at 6.7 watt gets you 2.04634 amps. Panky's 2.5 ohms at 5 volts yields 2 amps dead on. I'd say the darwin must be limited to 2 amps.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Again a non-darwin owner posting in a darwin thread. My understanding is that most electronic components are limited by amps as well as volts or the combination which would be watts.

Using this ohm's law calculator, vocr's 1.6 ohms at 6.7 watt gets you 2.04634 amps. Panky's 2.5 ohms at 5 volts yields 2 amps dead on. I'd say the darwin must be limited to 2 amps.

Not going to search through my attys at the moment but I am almost certain that it goes well above 2 amps. I am sure someone can confirm :ohmy:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
It's limited at 3 amps, I believe. When I use 1.5 ohm cartos it's usually reading roughly 2.4-2.7 amps where I most often set it ;-)

I've run the triple coils at 12.7 watts, the max setting, and it pulls 2.9 amps at that level. Given that the wattage of the Darwin is limited to 12.7, you really can't get over that on amperage draw unless you had an atty under 1.5 ohms

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
It's limited at 3 amps, I believe. When I use 1.5 ohm cartos it's usually reading roughly 2.4-2.7 amps where I most often set it ;-)

I've run the triple coils at 12.7 watts, the max setting, and it pulls 2.9 amps at that level. Given that the wattage of the Darwin is limited to 12.7, you really can't get over that on amperage draw unless you had an atty under 1.5 ohms

Yea, I wish that I could find some triples in a higher ohm rating because I am curious to see what they can actually do :ohmy:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
You and me both, Panks ;-) I keep going back and forth on whether I like the trips or not, my opinion seems to vary a lot depending on my mood. They are a good vape and hit like a monster on a 5 or 6 volt mod (the latter is not for the faint of heart!), but on either the Darwin or Provari you can't get them anywhere near that.

Sometimes it seems to me as if Smoktech only came up with them because the dual coils sold so well. Somebody over there went all Tim Taylor and said if two is good then three is definitely better, "More power! *grunt, grunt*"

I've been using the 3 ohm dual coils for a while now and have relegated the LR ones to my mechanical mods only. It's not even a performance issue of the cartos, my preference there is based mostly on their effect on battery life. I'd love to play around with a triple coil that metered out at 2 or 2.5, even though it would probably result in me vaping through 15ml per day instead of my usual 5 :p

Last edited:

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
You and me both, Panks ;-) I keep going back and forth on whether I like the trips or not, my opinion seems to vary a lot depending on my mood. They are a good vape and hit like a monster on a 5 or 6 volt mod (the latter is not for the faint of heart!), but on either the Darwin or Provari you can't get them anywhere near that.

Sometimes it seems to me as if Smoktech only came up with them because the dual coils sold so well. Somebody over there went all Tim Taylor and said if two is good then three is definitely better, "More power! *grunt, grunt*"

I've been using the 3 ohm dual coils for a while now and have relegated the LR ones to my mechanical mods only. It's not even a performance issue of the cartos, my preference there is based mostly on their effect on battery life. I'd love to play around with a triple coil that metered out at 2 or 2.5, even though it would probably result in me vaping through 15ml per day instead of my usual 5 :p

I know what you are saying :lol: I have a few of the triples still sealed in my supply box. I guess they will be backups because the 2 that I opened are not being used. I was using the 2.5 ohm clear dual coils from Drew until he sent me some colossals that were 2 ohm and I like them better for some reason. I have one of each that have been almost equally vaped upon and the little one has a burnt taste to it already. I am not sure if that is because I was running them higher than the 2 ohm ones but I would assume that they are both the same on the inside :ohmy: The only drawback is that I have to use an 801 drip tip for the colossal...

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The only trips I have are the ones that came with my cartomators, so I haven't used them outside of a tank. I am impressed with the longevity, I must say. I don't know if it's just the fact that it's always wet since it's tanked or if it's the lower wattage at each coil (since from what I understand the total wattage gets split between the three coils), but the one that I've used has had over 30ml of juice put through it and is still going strong. I haven't used tanks long enough to have a basis for comparison, but let's just say the dual coils that came with my liquinator have both bitten the bullet after half that much use. I'm sure there are other variables I'm not considering, but it's still impressive longevity in my book

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
Have the dual coils gone through any changes since they first came out? Cause I still have some of the originals when Drew started selling them. They worked great on my ego but the draw on the Darwin was so tight I gave up. I tried them with an adapter and without and for me they were like trying to suck down a thick malt! So I'm curious if they've gone through a revision before I waste any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread