Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
How many volts are you trying to run the DC at?

When they are full of juice, their resistance is a couple of tenths higher than when they are empty. Some people can get to 5.0v (but no further) with a filled dual coil on their Buzz. If the DC is not full, the ohms will be a little lower and the Buzz will probably see it as a short above 4.5v. If the resistance of that particular DC is a little lower than normal (they have a +-.2 rating so they can be as low as 1.3 or so ohms), then you might not even be able to run it on the buzz at 4.0v.

They advertize that the Buzz is current limited to 2 amps. 1.6 ohms of resistance with 3.7v requires 2.31 amps. - 4.5v with 1.6 ohms resistance is 2.8 amps. 5.0v with 1.6 ohms resistance is 3.125 amps....

So, that's what's going on. "High end" VV devices like the provari and the buzz are probably not the most appropriate devices to run 1.5 ohm DCs on. The Darwin fares pretty well, and some 5.0v box mods that aren't amp restricted (including madvapes 5.0v box) do really well with the DCs, but VV and HV mods are really hit and miss with the DCs. Even some batteries will see 1.6 ohms as a short and won't fire a 1.6 ohm DC in a tube mod.

lynch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lynchburg,Va
How many volts are you trying to run the DC at?

When they are full of juice, their resistance is a couple of tenths higher than when they are empty. Some people can get to 5.0v (but no further) with a filled dual coil on their Buzz. If the DC is not full, the ohms will be a little lower and the Buzz will probably see it as a short above 4.5v. If the resistance of that particular DC is a little lower than normal (they have a +-.2 rating so they can be as low as 1.3 or so ohms), then you might not even be able to run it on the buzz at 4.0v.

They advertize that the Buzz is current limited to 2 amps. 1.6 ohms of resistance with 3.7v requires 2.31 amps. - 4.5v with 1.6 ohms resistance is 2.8 amps. 5.0v with 1.6 ohms resistance is 3.125 amps....

So, that's what's going on. "High end" VV devices like the provari and the buzz are probably not the most appropriate devices to run 1.5 ohm DCs on. The Darwin fares pretty well, and some 5.0v box mods that aren't amp restricted (including madvapes 5.0v box) do really well with the DCs, but VV and HV mods are really hit and miss with the DCs. Even some batteries will see 1.6 ohms as a short and won't fire a 1.6 ohm DC in a tube mod.

Thats what I had it set at exactly 5.0v, did not think to lower it down (doh) Too late to try now.
Made a dc syringe out of that one and surprised it works good. That's most likely what it was
because when I pressed the button it would come on for a split second then shut down like it was
being shorted. Will try next time if it does the same thing. Think I will get a MV 5.0v box on next order,
it's more pocket friendly than the Darwin ($$$) Thank's six.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Does anybody know if these are made by SmokTech? I've been using the black ones from MadVapes for a couple weeks now, and I really like them! They work fine on my eGo or Riva batteries and for the past couple days, I've been using one on my 5-Volt Passthrough.

The flavor is amazing either way - better than Boge 510 LR carto on eGo batt, and V4L CoolCarts on 5-volt passthrough. I am not a dripper. I was tempted to try the Clearomizers, but when I found out you had to fill them with a syringe, I didn't want them. The Tank concept sounds promising, but it seems like they all mute the flavor among having other issues.

I found some SmokTech dual coils on another site that seem to be the same thing, but were less expensive - $8.95 for a 5-pack. I don't want to try them though if they're not the same thing. Or, maybe I will - just to compare. I've gotten a lot of stuff from MadVapes and for the most part have been pretty happy with them. It's usually hard to find another place that beats their prices, unless you buy from China. I did that once and I won't ever do it again!

Does MadVapes have any coupon codes now?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Does anybody know if these are made by SmokTech?

I've gotten a lot of stuff from MadVapes Does MadVapes have any coupon codes now?

I hate to say anything on the section of the forum that madvapes pays for to encourage you to do business with someone else...

All current dual coils are made by smoketech.

As to coupon codes: You said you've purchased from madvapes before. So, log in to your account. Look for the part that says "My Rewards". Under that is a number of points you've earned for prior purchases. You can redeem those for discounts. Click redeem and on the resulting page, click redeem under the number of points you want to redeem.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I hate to say anything on the section of the forum that madvapes pays for to encourage you to do business with someone else...

All current dual coils are made by smoketech.

As to coupon codes: You said you've purchased from madvapes before. So, log in to your account. Look for the part that says "My Rewards". Under that is a number of points you've earned for prior purchases. You can redeem those for discounts. Click redeem and on the resulting page, click redeem under the number of points you want to redeem.

Thanks Six - I forgot about those Reward points. Gotta make sure I use 'em!

Titan1x77

Jun 1, 2011
South East,MA
Janet, I don't use a syringe to fill mine.

You can drip down the sides, then shake down like a thermometer or spin/twirl in between your hands to spread it or a combo of the two. I recently found a great way to extend the life using the taryn spin method which is also the method I'm now using to fill them.

To extend life spin them upside down, so the juice which gets gunked up on the bottom gets back to the top, keeping the new juice flowing in... would seem to extend these for a bit longer and a cleaner vape.

Heres a video showing both ways to fill and empty using the taryn spin. Note: I use the empty way to shoot older fluid back up to where the coils will use them, just a few soft spins to push it up and not empty it.

YouTube - ‪Reverse Taryn Spin‬‏

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Janet, I don't use a syringe to fill mine.

You can drip down the sides, then shake down like a thermometer or spin/twirl in between your hands to spread it or a combo of the two. I recently found a great way to extend the life using the taryn spin method which is also the method I'm now using to fill them.

To extend life spin them upside down, so the juice which gets gunked up on the bottom gets back to the top, keeping the new juice flowing in... would seem to extend these for a bit longer and a cleaner vape.

Heres a video showing both ways to fill and empty using the taryn spin. Note: I use the empty way to shoot older fluid back up to where the coils will use them, just a few soft spins to push it up and not empty it.

YouTube - ‪Reverse Taryn Spin‬‏

Good point Titan! Makes a lot of sense. Thanks! I do a spinning thing, but am too lazy to rig up a proper Taryn Spin. When I fill, especially on a fresh carto, I just drip down the sides as slowly as my patience will allow until it starts to pool on the top, then I either roll the carto with my hands (like when we were kids and made snakes out of clay or Playdough) or I just hold it in one hand and circle it fast in the air with the carto pointed downward. That seems to get the liquid distributed pretty well. Same principle as Taryn Spin without quite as much G-force involved. But to get the gunked up liquid moving, I think a reverse Taryn Spin is an excellent idea!

Last edited:

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
I was happy to see that MadVapes is now carrying the Dual Coil Clear Mega XL Cartomizers. They're 11.5 mm in diameter and come with a matching drip tip that will fit the large diameter tube. They also have the DC cartos in stainless...no more peeling off the stickers! I'm definitely going to order these this weekend.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I bought 5 of the smok tech clear dual coils from madvapes.

I was sort of wondering what might happen next for you for vaping. Every time I mention that I've seen two forum supplier/vendors behave very badly, I remember one of them and think about your go-go.

I'm glad you decided to give the dual coils a shot. I've become an advocate and a believer in the dual coils. Damn fine product that works very well.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I was sort of wondering what might happen next for you for vaping. Every time I mention that I've seen two forum supplier/vendors behave very badly, I remember one of them and think about your go-go.

I'm glad you decided to give the dual coils a shot. I've become an advocate and a believer in the dual coils. Damn fine product that works very well.

You could have gave me out a shout....and tell just how good these duals are...........they rock like nothing I have every used...and I have tried alot of JUNK.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread