E-Cigarette Critics Worry New Ads Will Make 'Vaping' Cool For Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
Unbelievable, isn't it? These guys can't even stand it if you vape in the privacy of your own home. On one comments section I saw a while back, they started talking about our "pacifiers". I was so mad I couldn't even comment.

yeah, I've had the term 'pacifier' pulled on me. And frankly, I welcome it!

Not just because its playfully ironic, but because it does just that... It pacifys me.

Because believe me, without it, I am far from a pacifist!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Collateral Damage
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Off Topic

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Collateral Damage
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Off Topic

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
I did better on our local NPR station. I'm on a few minutes after the break. I was pretty nervous, and careful not to alienate anyone. Those tobacco free Maine people really hate e-cigarettes, and couldn't say anything bad to me.

Smoking and e-cigarettes

WELL DONE Kathi!!

The link Kathi provided is to a podcast of her local PBS radio station program discussion smoking / quitting / e-cigarettes.

Kathi called in, and can be found around the 22:06 minute mark.

Not only did Kathi give her story, but the host kept her on the line and provided another opportunity for her to offer any additional comments after the show's guests responded to her story.

From the little I listened to (just Kathi's part), it sounded like there was a decent 'balance', and lack of attack, from the host and the guests.

Kathi - Would you say that was the case throughout the entire program?

This is the kind of thing that should be shoved right back into the faces of the ANTZ over at the other NPR site / story!

Use their own sources to shut them down ...

... similar to citing the FDA approving long-term NRT use - not one of them has been able to repeat their dire nicotine FUD after that ;))

And another powerful tool to use against them is someone named "unred" at the daily kos! (I don't know who to credit with the link here at ECF - Anj do you know who it was?)

An awesome read for everyone here: Democrats: Stop the war on vaping!

Edit - To clarify, Unred is one of us! He is a totally sane voice over there in the wilderness of those who are serious ANTZ. I found it to be a very enlightening experience reading the comments, and see how a Democrat dealt with the ANTZ in his own party. Turned out to be very helpful insight to have when I found myself engaging some of the ANTZ at the NPR site.

I'm not Democrat bashing here, just highlighting the resource as a valuable one for us to be aware of.

Well done Kathi - another fine example of great e-cig community representation! :headbang:

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Kath face it... you and Cabinet Guy are shills for e-cig companies plain and simple! UGH!!!!!

I couldn't read anymore of the comments because of "Yankee in the bluegrass' s" insane posts!! Hes either a really good troll or completely clueless!!!

Great comments and responses from you guys by the way!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
FhSmOA4.gif

This is getting old folks.... keep it on topic please.

And one more time: If you must sling "my news channel/political party can beat up your news channel/political party" crap, do it in the Outside. I'll see no more of it in the regular forums.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
Kath face it... you and Cabinet Guy are shills for e-cig companies plain and simple! UGH!!!!!

I couldn't read anymore of the comments because of "Yankee in the bluegrass' s" insane posts!! Hes either a really good troll or completely clueless!!!

Great comments and responses from you guys by the way!

I spotted a couple more of 'us' there - I know Agentania was there, I think Dr Tautology is from here, and CASAA's Elaine Keller came into the fray with good old 'Jane'

Anyone else I missed?

I believe this was an excellent example of positive advocacy! While there were a fair number of antz shills & trolls & other unsavory wildlife, there were also a lot of sincere people, and many lurkers, who I believe are supporters / sympathetic-to-the-cause too.

The up-votes for our collective contributions, and the pro-vape comments were very high! To me, that is a way to get some type of reading on the quiet ones, reading from the side lines.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Thanks Scott, (about the podcast). Of course the guests kept stressing the fact that I was still using nicotine, and kept stressing the fact that the Maine Tobacco Help Line was the best place to go for quitting smoking, but at least they knew better than to attack me and the host was actually quite helpful.

I know hundreds of people who have used the tobacco hot line, and it is about as successful as the patch, but those guys get tons of government funding, so you know how that goes.

For everyone else, it's much easier to work on the local level than the national level, because you are less anonymous there. It's much more difficult to be attacked when they know that a lot of people who know you personally are listening/reading. Unless you live in a big city, you are a big fish in a small pond when you act locally.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Some people's livelihood depends on those hotlines, probably some of those against e cigs so strongly. I think for some people hotlines work, but there the x rated ones and only temporary relief.

The reason most people hate the hotline, (officially it's called the helpline), is that they keep calling you at all hours of the day, badgering you about smoking. It alienates people rather than helps them. They spout their ANTZ propaganda, and make you fell like a criminal, rather than helping.

Sort of like when I got out of the hospital with my umpteenth round of pneumonia. I wanted to try some Chantrix when it first came out. The doctor told me that if I needed something to help me to quit, I wasn't ready, so to keep smoking. I told him I wanted to quit, but I was addicted, and he asked me if I slept at night, or had to get up and have a cigarette every hour. I told him I actually did have to get up at night once in a while when I couldn't sleep and did have a cig, then went back to bed, but it was only an occasional thing. He told me that if I was truly addicted, that I would have to get up every hour, every night to have one.

He told me that I wasn't addicted, that I just didn't want to quit. He kept on tell me to keep smoking, no matter how much I pleaded with him. Then, he left the room, repeating "keep smoking.. You don't want to quit, or you would".

That's the mentality of the doctors in this area, and the helpline is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread