Status
Not open for further replies.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Funny isn't it how every item can be sold with the "sex sells" concept... from shampoo to cars, yet eCigs that give smokers a second chance on life are supposed to hide this very important aspect of getting our health back? Wow. The funniest part to me, is how WHO is advocating sex classes to age 5yrs on up, complete with master ahem classes in school. You'd think the ANTZ would appreciate the after class ecig instead of smoke.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
And what exactly would be wrong with vaping being "cool" - as opposed to burning tobacco?

E-cigarettes have the advantage, from a user’s perspective, of mimicking some of the ritualistic aspects of smoking – the so-called hand-to-mouth pattern, and, of course, emulate the symbolism of smoking through vapour. They currently do not have the stigma of a therapy, and it is precisely because they are not sanitised, not associated with illness and recovery, and are perhaps even glamorous, that for some users, they are a far more appealing alternative to combustible tobacco than NRTs.

In other words, some of the arguments about the glamorisation of e-cigarettes can be turned on their heads, at least in this key respect.

source

In general, e-cigs are a far more appealing alternative to combustible tobacco. Period. And a far less harmful one at that.
I wonder if those oh-so-worried people would prefer kids to start smoking combustible tobacco.

Hm... ok.. they probably would. After all, all that tobacco settlement money has to keep flowing. It pays their salaries, doesn't it?

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
On deck with DICKenson: Sports Illustrated to be banned from online sales because ecigs are advertised there, & eCigs are attractive to minors. The swimsuit edition, however, as long as eCigs & condoms are not allowed to advertise, will be available to all, as teenage boys especially, enjoy the swimsuit edition.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
Wow, I left for a couple of hours and came back to see a lot of comments over there. I hope NPR reads them, and takes them seriously.

Boy, that woman who replied to me about Lolitas bribing hen pecked husbands to buy them e-cigs was something else!!!

Yes! I had to confess that I was clueless what she was trying to say

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Talk about someone falling off her meds...

Maybe she needed a strong 36mg hit on a provari set to maximum stun :hubba:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Wow, I left for a couple of hours and came back to see a lot of comments over there. I hope NPR reads them, and takes them seriously.

Boy, that woman who replied to me about Lolitas bribing hen pecked husbands to buy them e-cigs was something else!!!

She obviously has serious issues unrelated to ecigs.... :facepalm:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Here's an interesting comment by one of the "geniuses" commenters:

remybon said to me • 2 hours ago

"You do realize that CASAA also advocates for smokeless tobacco products like snus and chew? They are a joke of an organization and are a puppet for tobacco industry to keep people hooked while trying to appear like good guys promoting "harm reduction" an industry term meaning, you can still get sick or die from our products but it might take a little longer or you might have slightly better odds in the russian roulette game."

I am so sick of those ANTZ that I just want to puke. :(

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
Maybe her husband found a Lolita!

:lol: !!

Here's my take on the people over there...

Quite a few were parroting / spouting what they had heard - not the willfully ignorant type, but lacking knowledge nonetheless.

A decent number of sincere posts - meaning those that struck me as being open to learning more

Fewer ANTZ than I expected

And of course, a few 'crazies' like the Lolita-obsessed lady :tumble:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
:lol: !!

Here's my take on the people over there...

Quite a few were parroting / spouting what they had heard - not the willfully ignorant type, but lacking knowledge nonetheless.

A decent number of sincere posts - meaning those that struck me as being open to learning more

Fewer ANTZ than I expected

And of course, a few 'crazies' like the Lolita-obsessed lady :tumble:

I was impressed with most of the replies as well. I finally had to stop posting because I was being stalked by a particularly nasty ANTZ, and NPR thought I was the one causing trouble. He was still posting nasty lies about me two hours after I had to stop posting.

I am seriously considering calling my local station and withdrawing my evergreen membership.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Just FYI this is probably not the most alarmist and/or perhaps irresponsible piece put out by NPR recently.

"Candy Flavors Put E-Cigarettes On Kids' Menu" was released on the 17th of last month, and spread to HuffPo and at least three dozen places around the country, including local network (i.e. not public radio) outlets and a bunch of independent web sites.

Google the quoted title, and you'll see what I mean.

A not-so-careful read of the story turns up a number of anomalies - such as quoting an 8th grader who claimed that her friends get PVs off of Ebay. (Presumably they're also in jr. high.)

There are other parts of the story that raise my eyebrows - such as the allegation that a school teacher did nothing when children of that age were sitting around a table at school, and vaping. Not only do I find that extremely difficult to believe, but I find it equally hard to accept that the reporter herself witnessed it (indeed, there's nothing in the story to indicate that she did). Therefore, by process of elimination, I wonder whether the reporter decided to take the world of other similarly-aged children. Maybe there were "two sources" :rolleyes:

(In fairness, the recorded version of the story contains an audio clip of the 8th grader. But that's not "fact checking" as such. An 8th grader is barely old enough to know the difference between rumor and fact, perhaps not even reality and fantasy - or her friends' gossip, We don't even know if the 8th grade "witness" has any direct knowledge of any of this stuff.)

Something went very wrong there with that story, I suspect. Although I can't say that I can guess precisely who may not have been doing their job, and/or whether the state of mind involved was knowing (deliberate failure to follow the rules of good journalism), reckless (a refusal to follow up on awareness of a potential problem), or negligence (accidental deviations from the standard of care that a reasonable journalist and/or editor would satisfy).

It may have fallen through the cracks because it started out as a "Youth Radio" blog, and perhaps someone grabbed it at the last minute for "Morning Edition." Then it crept into HuffPo under the "Youth Radio" designation.

After that, it became fully legit, and was treated as "hard news" by all subsequent outlets. In other words, there may have been no professional editorial oversight whatsoever.

In ths case, the problem has to with the reporting of specific events, as opposed to propagating junk science and other unjustified generalizations.

But the events in question strain credulity to the breaking point. This isn't about a "man" who "bites a dog," it's about a man who swallows a dog whole, in one gulp ... (at least according to an 8th-grader who may not have actually seen him do it).

And I thought NPR was a legitimate news organization with well-trained people and professional standards - unlike some of these two-bit tumbleweed-town outlets. (You know, the whole "gate keeper" thing?)

The story has to have done a lot of damage. I suspect millions of people may have read or heard it. (And at least some of them must have contacted their elected officials.)

Can it be that we're making public health policy here in America - based in part on the gossip reported by an 8th grader?

One can only hope not.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
[...]

Can it be that we're making public health policy here in America - based in part on the gossip reported by an 8th grader?

One can only hope not.

Rep. Ray in Utah is trying to make laws for all of us based on claiming that his "child" told him that 200 eCigs were confiscated from students there. IN ONE DAY.

Can it be, indeed...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
"New Ads"? Old ads? Where the hell are all these alleged ads that are supposed to be out there corrupting the youth of 'merica? When was the last time you saw an ad - like for cars or cookies or "dysfunction" products? Ok - when was the last time you saw an ad for an e-cig? Total *crickets* on that one around here.

Gimme a break. All it takes it one kid, one computer, and access to YouTube. That genii got out of the bottle long before any serious advertising may even hit the marketplace. Why are clueless old farts still allowed to create legislation?

Last edited:

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
"Candy Flavors Put E-Cigarettes On Kids' Menu"

I always laugh at this kind of BS.
Yeah... adults live on gruel and tap water. No flavors for us, thank you very much.

Hm... then it does make me wonder who they sell all those flavored alcoholic drinks to. I thought kids were not to buy that stuff?
I can see the headlines now "Makers of all alcoholic beverages - except for clear vodka - declaring bankruptcy. Customers refuse to drink the stuff. Reason given by irate customers: "Did you not know that adults hate any kind of flavor?"

duh....

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
I guess some of us aren't allowed to disagree on NPR's threads. I don't know why I was the one singled out, but I was banned from posting there for 24 hours. It must be because I was so rude to those poor kind people like yankee.

I was absolutely furious. I was allowed to "like" for a while, but then my account was deactivated completely until last night, when it was restored.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I guess some of us aren't allowed to disagree on NPR's threads. I don't know why I was the one singled out, but I was banned from posting there for 24 hours. It must be because I was so rude to those poor kind people like yankee.

I was absolutely furious. I was allowed to "like" for a while, but then my account was deactivated completely until last night, when it was restored.

Simply put its easier for them to BAN according to their agenda, which appears quite apparent.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

And I thought NPR was a legitimate news organization with well-trained people and professional standards - unlike some of these two-bit tumbleweed-town outlets. (You know, the whole "gate keeper" thing?)......................

Many rightfully think that NPR is nothing more than one of the propaganda outlets for the far left and consistently slants and distorts stories to support far left objectives. This story fits right into that agenda. There is no reason to be upset for their reporting on this story when it fits how they report on most stories, if you are not upset in how they slant other stories as well. They are just doing what they normally do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread