Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Here's the comment I posted:

The irony here is that it isn't industry advertising that's attracting kids, it's the avalanche of anti-e-cigarette messages from anti-ecig zealots like Glantz and tobacco Free Kids that keep e-cigarettes in the news day after day after day!

The teenage years are a time of experimentation and rebellion. What better way to get kids interested in doing something than to tell them they shouldn't do it? The fanatics would be smarter to shut up, and let adults get on with switching from burning tobacco to e-cigarettes: i.e. improving their health and prolonging their lives. Once kids see that ecigs are simply a rational, adult product and not really "cool" at all, they'll lose all interest.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Sex sells - so what else is new ?

And who knows : a bit of in-your-face attitude could indeed rock the boat.

Broadening the customer base will mean more folks are out to skin politicos if they get banned. It does make a difference if you get heat from thousands instead of hundreds.

And teens are teens - it's their ....... duty to question and test what the generation before themdeals with.
I think it's called progress... ;)

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It is up to parents to teach their children about not starting ecigs as it is when they teach them about cigarettes. Although if my child was to start smoking i would hope they would be smart enough to vape instead. I believe they can stop vaping easier than stopping analogs. I know someone who is 18 and stopped smoking at the time 1 month and started with 0nic vaping after the 1 month of quitting cold turkey and he now doesn't use the pv often at all. The ecig really helped him not relapse into smoking again.

There are alot of younger ones out there around age 16 that have been smoking since they were 12-14 years old. I believe the ecig can help them but the law is the law. It is sad that once you start smoking it is hard to stop. I am so thankful that ecigs are here now. I just wish they were here for myself and my mother years ago. My mother may still be here today if they were available back then.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
My 2 comments appear to have disappeared into the censors bin! :shock:

After seeing the comments on the page, and then not, but now they're back :)

Nothing obnoxious, but tossing out a few facts (CDC report e-cig ever use up + U of Michigan survey showing teen smoking at all time low, Burstyn Drexel study link, cited WHO 6 million / year death to smoking related deaths, studies show vapor same/better than nicotine inhaler, & FDA approves lifetime nicotine use, etc)

Tossed out the challenge to prove / show me wrong.

Noted the only constraint was that any detected levels had to be shown to be potentially dangerous - even suggested using EPA or OSHA exposure level standards :)

Btw, the losers of the 'challenge' owed me a dozen glazed doughnuts!

Last edited:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
My 2 comments appear to have disappeared into the censors bin! :shock:

Nothing obnoxious, but tossing out a few facts (CDC report e-cig ever use up + U of Michigan survey showing teen smoking at all time low, Burstyn Drexel study link, cited WHO 6 million / year death to smoking related deaths, studies show vapor same/better than nicotine inhaler, & FDA approves lifetime nicotine use, etc)

Tossed out the challenge to prove / show me wrong.

Noted the only constraint was that any detected levels had to be shown to be potentially dangerous - even suggested using EPA or OSHA exposure level standards :)

Btw, the losers of the 'challenge' owed me a dozen glazed doughnuts!

I couldn't find your first comment, but the second one is still there. I 'll post a reply, hoping that it stays.

edit: I replied to your comment. Your first one is there if someone clicks on your name.

edit again, Scott, my reply came out on your first post rather than your second one. Apparently discus is having a problem. Now both of your posts are there!

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
....There are alot of younger ones out there around age 16 that have been smoking since they were 12-14 years old. I believe the ecig can help them but the law is the law. It is sad that once you start smoking it is hard to stop. I am so thankful that ecigs are here now. I just wish they were here for myself and my mother years ago. My mother may still be here today if they were available back then.

But, but, there are laws and regulations to prevent "the children" from buying cigarettes, they have been in place for decades. Are you saying these aren't working?? Perish the thought!!

The children are also restricted by law and regulation in purchasing alcohol, "other" illegal substances...at least that's worked perfectly....:facepalm:

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
But, but, there are laws and regulations to prevent "the children" from buying cigarettes, they have been in place for decades. Are you saying these aren't working?? Perish the thought!!

The children are also restricted by law and regulation in purchasing alcohol, "other" illegal substances...at least that's worked perfectly....:facepalm:

Yes i know the laws are there for smoking, however it is easier for kids to get their hands on cigarettes then a pv and ejuices IMO. Parents and friends smoke and they get them easier. Stealing them from parents or friends handing them out.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
All of the ANTZ hysteria about "We must save the chiiiildren from ecigarettes!", is fundamentally an admission that their "We must save the chiiiiildren from cigarettes!" is a woeful failure. Wouldn't you think they'd be embarrassed about that?

Official Bansturbator Procedure: Impose Ban #1. If Ban1 doesn't work, never mind correcting it, take it up a notch and simply impose Ban #2. If Ban2 doesn't work... Ad infinitum.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Humm, where does NPR fit on the political spectrum? I think they are called MSNBC lite. I'm sure they got the fax from Senator Boxer & Dubin and Congressman Waxman directing them to push out the propaganda in support of their latest pronouncements about the scourge called vaping. There are groups from the 1930's in Europe, if they were around today, who would marvel at how their manipulation techniques have been improved upon by the far left.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Quote from the NPR article

"The advertising just hit a new high in terms of chutzpah," says Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. Using sex to sell cigarettes is nothing new, he says, and e-cigarettes are pushing the envelope because they're unregulated.

"If the Obama administration were serious about protecting the public on public health, they would immediately move to clamp down on the way e-cigarettes are being advertised and apply the same rules that apply to cigarette advertising," Glantz says.

Bold emphasis mine, as it needs to be bolded that way.

This is purpose for this article and is clearly an ANTZ hit piece.

Using sex to sell ANYTHING is nothing new. Somewhere in that realization would be honest acknowledgment that adults target children with an appeal to sex. Doesn't really matter what the product is when you realize how that point works on a mass scale. It's not like there's 11 products, and only 11, that are currently doing this, but more like 1,111 products doing this. With the fall back position, that is entirely rationale, to suggest that the product's advertising is targeted to the adult population (as well).

Glantz isn't trying to call out Obama or healthcare, though it certainly will read that way to some. Instead, he is attempting, yet again, to say all that is bad about smoking is equally bad about vaping/eCigs and must be treated this way by everyone who listens to Glantz and his message.

If Glantz was a reasonable person, willing to have a reasonable discussion on eCigs, then what he is supposedly after would be easier to achieve (that being, lessening the likelihood that another generation will become hooked on nicotine). IMO, that can be done, but would take a reasonable approach, and not one that caters to fear tactics and willingness to engage in mass deception in support of another (money making) agenda.

Instead Glantz is in battle with a small segment of the population who are bringing reason to his incessant calls for unreasonable measures to be taken on a popular and growing demand for a new product. Where 2%, at most, of the users of this new product are people under 18. Thus 98% of the people using are adults, who are likely very okay with that ad. So the super duper majority of readers who that ad is targeting are perfectly okay with it, or so I believe. And yet, compared to the brainwashed community of citizens, the population of eCig users are small. So small, yet so empowered that you may say us eCig users are:

Slim. Charged. Ready To Go.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
I couldn't find your first comment, but the second one is still there. I 'll post a reply, hoping that it stays.

edit: I replied to your comment. Your first one is there if someone clicks on your name.

edit again, Scott, my reply came out on your first post rather than your second one. Apparently discus is having a problem. Now both of your posts are there!

It is confusing, but it appears that all my ensuing comments have appeared! :)

I had one that was noted as awaiting moderation, but, I think it was the use of the word H E double-hockey sticks, as in smoker's hades.

Actually, I did edit the comment to be hades, and it appeared right after without the moderation note.

Understandable I guess.

I had great fun with my 1/2 dozen additions to the conversation - and I would recommend taking the time to read the column & comments.

Very illuminating...

Great find Kath17!!

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
Quote from the NPR article

If Glantz was a reasonable person, willing to have a reasonable discussion on eCigs, then what he is supposedly after would be easier to achieve (that being, lessening the likelihood that another generation will become hooked on nicotine). IMO, that can be done, but would take a reasonable approach, and not one that caters to fear tactics and willingness to engage in mass deception in support of another (money making) agenda.

Instead Glantz is in battle with a small segment of the population who are bringing reason to his incessant calls for unreasonable measures to be taken on a popular and growing demand for a new product. Where 2%, at most, of the users of this new product are people under 18. Thus 98% of the people using are adults, who are likely very okay with that ad. So the super duper majority of readers who that ad is targeting are perfectly okay with it, or so I believe. And yet, compared to the brainwashed community of citizens, the population of eCig users are small. So small, yet so empowered that you may say us eCig users are:

Slim. Charged. Ready To Go.

I'm confused: is nicotine the target here, or smoking?

We know for the world-class irrational stan glantz, it's nicotine.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
All of the ANTZ hysteria about "We must save the chiiiildren from ecigarettes!", is fundamentally an admission that their "We must save the chiiiiildren from cigarettes!" is a woeful failure. Wouldn't you think they'd be embarrassed about that?

Official Bansturbator Procedure: Impose Ban #1. If Ban1 doesn't work, never mind correcting it, take it up a notch and simply impose Ban #2. If Ban2 doesn't work... Ad infinitum.

I threw in the 'If you really care about the kids, keep their parents alive by not regulating or banning ecigarettes...' bit.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm confused: is nicotine the target here, or smoking?

We know for the world-class irrational stan glantz, it's nicotine.

Nicotine is the target I intended to state.

I would say for Glantz et al, it is less about the nicotine than it is about the perceived harms from smoking or anything that resembles smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread