stay ahead of the curve, it’s time to consider your organization’s
position on the devices.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
"National Business Group on Health says e-cigarettes contain nicotine and detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals"

I like the vagueness on this one...toxic chemicals really?

Yes, toxic chemicals have been found in vapor, but in amounts that are not unsafe for human consumption. I think the misleading part of that statement is the word "detectable", which they hope you will replace with "harmful" in your brain while you're reading the article.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
My comment:
It's important to get the details correct. The aerosol created when the battery vaporizes some of the liquid in the cartridge is not "then released into the air." Due to how the devices are designed, all of the vapor created by the e-cigarette is inhaled by the consumer. The vapor that is exhaled has been filtered through the lungs of the vaper. National Business Group on Health provides misleading information, relying on a since debunked 2009 press release from 2009.

Recently, Dr. Igor Burstyn of Drexel University completed a meta-analysis of studies on toxins in vapor. He pointed out regarding exposure to users, none of the chemicals found in vapor rise to the level of exceeding occupational health hazards and stated, "Exposures of bystanders are likely to be orders of magnitude less, and thus pose no apparent concern." Several studies have shown that although there is some nicotine in inhaled vapor, there is no nicotine in exhaled vapor.

The Department of Transportation does not have a rule in force that prohibits using an e-cigarette on airplanes. If they issue a final rule with that prohibition, it will be challenged in court.

Speaking of which if employers aren’t willing to risk their legal and moral obligation to provide a safe and healthy workplace for workers they should seriously consider whether they should endanger the health of employees who are former smokers by prohibiting use of the device that made their abstinence from smoking possible. Employers can decide to consider the devices in the same realm as nicotine gum, patches, inhalers, and nasal spray that are used long-term to prevent relapse.

irdoom

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Michigan
Yes, toxic chemicals have been found in vapor, but in amounts that are not unsafe for human consumption. I think the misleading part of that statement is the word "detectable", which they hope you will replace with "harmful" in your brain while you're reading the article.

Exactly, when you read the word "detectable" that immediately makes people think it is harming them, or they will say "eww that stinks" or something like that. Poor wording imo for sure.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Exactly, when you read the word "detectable" that immediately makes people think it is harming them, or they will say "eww that stinks" or something like that. Poor wording imo for sure.

This is one of the primary tactics ANTZ put to wide use. Since most people tend to skim these articles and don't question the *facts*, the ANTZ can get away with using scary words and technical terms without reference, misleading or misinterpreted statistics out of context, and the list goes on, and people take these statements as gospel... The use of "detectable" is a perfect example. Since I'm now so tuned in to their tricks, my first thought when I read that was "There are "detectable levels of carcinogens in my drinking water too!" (And since I'm on a roll, there are also detectable levels of rodent feces and insect parts in my processed food. Permissible levels of these and other contaminants are set by FDA and USDA, btw. So they must be okay because they're "approved." /rant)

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA

Not poor wording, this is an ANTZ following the company line. He knew exactly what he was doing.

irdoom

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Michigan
This is one of the primary tactics ANTZ put to wide use. Since most people tend to skim these articles and don't question the *facts*, the ANTZ can get away with using scary words and technical terms without reference, misleading or misinterpreted statistics out of context, and the list goes on, and people take these statements as gospel... The use of "detectable" is a perfect example. Since I'm now so tuned in to their tricks, my first thought when I read that was "There are "detectable levels of carcinogens in my drinking water too!" (And since I'm on a roll, there are also detectable levels of rodent feces and insect parts in my processed food. Permissible levels of these and other contaminants are set by FDA and USDA, btw. So they must be okay because they're "approved." /rant)

When put in that context I get more of the "Ooooooooh, I see what they did there" feeling. Good examples of "detectable" things, very true btw

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
As long as it looks like smoking, vaping generally won't be allowed at workplaces where smoking is prohibited. From a distance, one can't really tell the difference. Easier to include e-nic in smoking bans. The compound I work at is completely tobacco-free and does not allow vaping on the property, either, for the reason that if a Corporate visitor is at the compound and sees someone vaping, they may think they are smoking.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I love this comment...

To put it into perspective. You and I breath out millions of bacteria, viruses and chemicals every breath so we all share lots of bad stuff. Interestingly one of the biggest constituents of e cig vapor is proplyne glycol which is FDA safe and it is used to kill bacteria and viruses in air. In tests on children (that's how safe it is) in hospital over a year 2% caught colds in treated wards and half of them in untreated wards. Soooo it will be what I breath out that is cleaner than what you breath out. Do I want to work in an office with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread