Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I know the rooms are smoke free, and e-cig free also I'm assuming, but has anyone stayed in a Marriott and used e-cigs in a room?
We will be getting a room with the kitchen, so I'm hoping that the smoke dectors aren't too sensitive, and you can get away with vaping.

Why would a smoke detector do anything? E-cigs don't make smoke, they make vapor. All kitchens have vapor -- off a pan of boiling water?? All bathrooms make vapor -- from a hot shower?? A smoke detector that reacted to vapor is MALFUNCTIONING.

I have stealth-vaped in a bathroom in a private hospital room, and no one was the wiser.

Andria

Reactions: Caro123

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Why would a smoke detector do anything? E-cigs don't make smoke, they make vapor. All kitchens have vapor -- off a pan of boiling water?? All bathrooms make vapor -- from a hot shower?? A smoke detector that reacted to vapor is MALFUNCTIONING.

I have stealth-vaped in a bathroom in a private hospital room, and no one was the wiser.

Andria

Quite a few modern smoke detectors are photoelectric-a beam of light and mirrors. When the beam is broken- with smoke or vapor or anything, it will be set off...

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Halloween celebrations at a company I worked at were shut down when a fog machine set off the fire alarm. It can happen. :(

I believe the recent Vapefest had issues with people's vapor setting off the alarms in the hotel too.

All that said, I recently stayed in a hotel for several days and had no issues while I was there. I kept the fan in the room running and didn't over-do it.

GaG8tor

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2014
Acworth, Ga. United States
I lived in a studio apartment once and steam from the shower actually would set off the smoke detector. When traveling my GF and I always stay at Marriott hotels. I've vaped in the lobbies, lounges and our rooms and it's never been an issue. Usually I just use good judgment and try to be respectful when I'm anywhere smoking is not allowed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I think we need myth-busters on this one. If e-cig vapors set off smoke detectors then I feel sorry for the fire departments in Florida on a 95% humidity day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

All you have to do is research how photoelectric or combination smoke detectors work...

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I think we need myth-busters on this one. If e-cig vapors set off smoke detectors then I feel sorry for the fire departments in Florida on a 95% humidity day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

When my daughter has a shower it can set off the smoke detector in the hallway outside......(teenagers can take long showers LOL)

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
We don't need Myth Busters. I can personally confirm that vapor can set off a smoke detector... it just happened to me.

I travel a LOT (about 100 nights a year), and vape in hotel rooms as a matter of course. I've never had an issue.

But today, I was having a vape, and set off the smoke detector. I know I did because the hotel staff called my room asking if I had a fire in my room... these are all linked to a common fire panel, so they know which room's detector is going off.

I've vaped in this specific hotel room all week thus far with no issue. However, a few minutes prior, I had turned off the AC/fan unit, which I never do -- I always leave the fan portion running all the time. I suspect the lack of air movement, combined with the fact that I was vaping too close to the actual detector, was the root cause.

I'll still vape in my room (in fact, I'm doing it now), but I'll be much more conscious of making sure my clouds don't get too close to that detector.

Also, to those of you who say that "vape isn't smoke", photoelectric detectors use LIGHT to detect smoke.... vapor can and will set them off if it's thick enough to block light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread