e-cigs hysteria now hitting Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless_1

Verified Member
Dec 8, 2013
Montreal, Canada
The 'vaping bad' scenario is now too close for comfort as I am a Quebec resident. Pay day tomorrow, I am going to hit the stores to increase my stash!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...tlh-unit-vaping-respiratory-illness-1.5288065

The news comes on the same day as the Ontario health minister ordered public hospitals to report vaping-related cases of severe pulmonary disease.

It also follows a directive from Health Canada to health-care professionals, telling them to ask patients about their vaping use and if they have any trouble breathing or shortness of breath.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
The 'vaping bad' scenario is now too close for comfort as I am a Quebec resident. Pay day tomorrow, I am going to hit the stores to increase my stash!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...tlh-unit-vaping-respiratory-illness-1.5288065

The news comes on the same day as the Ontario health minister ordered public hospitals to report vaping-related cases of severe pulmonary disease.

It also follows a directive from Health Canada to health-care professionals, telling them to ask patients about their vaping use and if they have any trouble breathing or shortness of breath.

This seems like a prudent course of action. Heck, if everyone involved is honest about it, it might be beneficial. It might open the CA medical
communities' eyes about the dangers of overly draconian, knee-jerk, regulation.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
About $100 for 1l of 100mg/ml nicotine and it will last in the freezer for decades. My wife and I will go thru a litre of nic between us in MAYBE 5 years.

PG/VG is cheap and readily available. Used for many different applications so they can’t ban that. Flavours are the same as used in baking, candies and pop so they can’t ban that.

I haven’t bought store made juice in 4 years.

This situation is getting idiotic, but DIY is super easy and dirt cheap. Thousands of recipes available online as well.

Based on what is happening in the US and now India, any Canadian Vaper that doesn’t want to go back to cigarettes or vape awful tobacco flavours should at least have a few litres of nic in the freezer IMO.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
First known Canadian case of vaping-related illness reported in London, Ont.

At the press conference, officials released little information about the case, including keeping the patient’s gender hidden. The individual was using an e-cigarette “at least daily,” Mackie said. While health officials are aware of the brand of vape being used and whether or not the person was vaping a nicotine or cannabis product, they did not wish to disclose it publicly.

“That would imply that this was something coming from one brand, when clearly, looking at the international evidence, that’s not the case,” Mackie said.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
London youth identified as Canada's first reported vaping-related illness case

Ontario has been criticized for allowing e-cigarettes to be promoted in convenience and other non-specialty stores. Tobacco products cannot be promoted the same way. Public health experts warned that such promotion could increase rates of vaping, especially among youth. Under federal law, promotions are not supposed to appeal to youth, but observers say that is a difficult issue to police.
My guess, there will be an immediate ban on all vaping ads and all product packaging will be hidden ... same as tobacco products.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
London youth identified as Canada's first reported vaping-related illness case

Ontario has been criticized for allowing e-cigarettes to be promoted in convenience and other non-specialty stores. Tobacco products cannot be promoted the same way. Public health experts warned that such promotion could increase rates of vaping, especially among youth. Under federal law, promotions are not supposed to appeal to youth, but observers say that is a difficult issue to police.
My guess, there will be an immediate ban on all vaping ads and all product packaging will be hidden ... same as tobacco products.
Which isn’t a big deal.

I think we are safe on Ontario and Canada across the board for all flavoured juice for a while, but having nic locked and loaded for a rainy day is a good idea.

In any case, these Juuls and other closed pod systems are one of the two huge issues IMO. Juul (or whatever the ones called that they sell in gas stations here) are insanely high nic (5% or 50mg/ml NOT 5mg/ml) and can be very dangerous of you chain vape these things.

#2 is the stupid cartoony labels. Amazing that these manufacturers are so stupid and shortsighted IMO. The vaping community has been talking about this for years....

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Which isn’t a big deal.

I think we are safe on Ontario and Canada across the board for all flavoured juice for a while, but having nic locked and loaded for a rainy day is a good idea.

In any case, these Juuls and other closed pod systems are one of the two huge issues IMO. Juul (or whatever the ones called that they sell in gas stations here) are insanely high nic (5% or 50mg/ml NOT 5mg/ml) and can be very dangerous of you chain vape these things.

#2 is the stupid cartoony labels. Amazing that these manufacturers are so stupid and shortsighted IMO. The vaping community has been talking about this for years....

I agree and I'm also confident they will disclose the truth when they find out. With cannabis full out legal in Canada they have no reason not to.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I saw some different bits. Refusal to disclose the brand for one. “Because clearly theinternational etc..”.

B.S. That doesn’t even make sense. Not from a legal perspective and not from a medical perspective.

They’re afraid the company in question can prove it wasn’t them. Betcha the kid had something else in that vape and is afraid of his parents.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
I'm in Toronto. Both the morning and drive talk radio programs on AM640 discussed this. Both hosts (Stafford and Oakley) are widely recognized as very intelligent broadcasters. Both called out the black market THC as the cause and excused nicotine liquids.

So there are news media personalities that know the truth and are talking about it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm in Toronto. Both the morning and drive talk radio programs on AM640 discussed this. Both hosts (Stafford and Oakley) are widely recognized as very intelligent broadcasters. Both called out the black market THC as the cause and excused nicotine liquids.

So there are news media personalities that know the truth and are talking about it.
Sounds like Canada still has at least the remains of a functioning journalism system. There is less in the US. NPR did the same thing but it’s viewed as “biased” here. I think parts of its editorial stuff can be. That’s to be expected though. That’s why editorials are editorials. The actual news though not so much I think.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This seems like a prudent course of action. Heck, if everyone involved is honest about it, it might be beneficial. It might open the CA medical
communities' eyes about the dangers of overly draconian, knee-jerk, regulation.
Regulation is something best done very slowly, with great deliberation, and a light touch. It exists only to plug large and damaging holes in the system. Too much and it can be worse than the original problem, and there will always be repercussions and backlash. Better to do it right than do it quickly.

It will still be called draconian and knee jerk by those who are disadvantaged by it of course, no matter how badly it’s needed, and pushed to be too hard and too fast by those who stand to gain. Neither should be acccomidated.

It’s not about anyone’s pocketbook. It’s an emergency measure for when something is so deadly damaging to the country it cannot be allowed to even happen.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One question I got about Canada specifically regarding Windsor and Detroit. Michigan just ran this ban thing, but a really large number of Michiganders live in Detroit, and downtown Detroit is literally across one of several bridges and whatnot from downtown Windsor. Back in the 20’s when my father was a tiny lad the amount of bootlegging across that stretch was staggering. Boats, planes, all kinds of stuff. It’s literally where the term “bootlegging” came from. Walk across the bridge with a bottle in your boot. I’m guessing times are going to be good for Windsor vape shops.

Any thoughts?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
One question I got about Canada specifically regarding Windsor and Detroit. Michigan just ran this ban thing, but a really large number of Michiganders live in Detroit, and downtown Detroit is literally across one of several bridges and whatnot from downtown Windsor. Back in the 20’s when my father was a tiny lad the amount of bootlegging across that stretch was staggering. Boats, planes, all kinds of stuff. It’s literally where the term “bootlegging” came from. Walk across the bridge with a bottle in your boot. I’m guessing times are going to be good for Windsor vape shops.

Any thoughts?
Heck when I was a youngun we all went to WIndsor to drink. Drinking age in Windsor was 18 in Michigan it was 21. Interesting times we live in.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Heck when I was a youngun we all went to WIndsor to drink. Drinking age in Windsor was 18 in Michigan it was 21. Interesting times we live in.
Done that myself. I got cousins in Detroit. Or had once upon a time. They took me. No idea where they are now. It was a long time ago. I understand the borders got tightened up, but only in one direction.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Any thoughts?
If it gets bad there, Canada isn’t banning flavoured vape juice any time soon.

Weird to think about Americans setting up PO Boxes in Canada, but a valid option. Usually it’s the other way around.

Our cottage is a few miles away from the US border (NY State) and we have packages delivered to a UPS store frequently to save shipping costs among many other reasons.

By car, I can’t see a MI resident being pulled into secondary on a vape juice tip-off.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Done that myself. I got cousins in Detroit. Or had once upon a time. They took me. No idea where they are now. It was a long time ago. I understand the borders got tightened up, but only in one direction.
I really don't know. I haven't been home to Detroit since the mid 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread