cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
JonnyVapΣ;2340624 said:
America; No longer the land of the free.

Amen to that brother,amen to that!
I'm sad to have to agree with you but we have very few rights as ex smokers or smokers.
I never understood why smokers didn't come out to protest more when these idiot bans were being put in place so many years ago.
I believed that when I was finally able to quit, I would have some of my civil rights reinstated but that has failed to materialize.:(
C.B.
:evil:

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I know a lot of people think everything going on with e-cigs is bad, which it is. But in addition to being a vaper myself, I'm also a registered gun owner and NRA Life Member. Talk about a constant battle over rights. Come to think of it, maybe the e-cig community needs lobbyists and organization similar to the NRA.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Years ago, my friend was a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines, and they would not hire smokers nor allow their present personnel to smoke.

So does anyone know if nicotine shows up in those who inhale second-hand smoke? If so, I wonder if they would make their employees divorce their spouses or kick their teenagers out on the street if they wanted to remain employees? And like a previous poster mentioned, some of the nightshade-family vegetables contain nicotine. Would they make rules of the only foods their employees could eat?

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
That was a great letter, Crumpet - I really hope he takes the time to read it.

Just one correction for your future correspondence - the reference of "anti-freeze" the FDA found in one sample wasn't regarding propylene glycol, it was diethylene glycol they found, which is actually quite toxic. What makes the announcement of finding that "toxic chemical" disingenuous is that it was found only in one cartridge out of 18 tested and it was at a NON-toxic level - approximately 1%. It was also NOT detected in the vapor and has not been found in any tests performed since. For some reason people seem to easily confuse the anti-freeze claim with propylene glycol (also used in anti-fereze) and don't understand that the FDA was actually talking about diethylene glycol, so it's a common mistake.

It's great to have people like you fighting for the cause and it shows how just one or two calm, rational voices CAN make a difference. I hope you're a member of CASAA - we can use people with your skills!

Thanks for the correction. I had a feeling I missed something and I'm glad you caught it. I've already emailed him a correction and apology thanks to you!

SmokingBullet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
Southern Utal
In the video Mattison, the guy representing the hospital says; "The fact that somebody would use a device like an electronic cigarette means there is an addiction there." Oh, please somebody stop me cause I'm about to go off! And the current employees who do smoke...they won't be made to quit, they can keep their jobs; how so very nice of them.

I wish I lived in FL so I could apply for a job at this hospital and be turned down because I vape. I would have an attorney handling a law suit against this hospital in a New York minute! "Addiction"? Addiction??? Woah there sparky, lets sit down and do some serious talking before I slap you to sleep.
How many overweight people work at the hospital? Oh, oh, there must be an "addiction" to food.
How many people working at the hospital drink sodas, at least 2 a day? Must be an 'addiction".
How many cups of coffee do your hospital employees consume per day? Must be a caffine addiction.
Do your hospital employees have sex more than 4 times a week...oh, think there may be somesort of addiction there too.
Let's not talk about the people surfing the internet...is that an addiction....
Do I need to go on here? My blood is boiling at the moment. To think this little weiner has the cohonas to set such a rule at his hospital! Personally I believe he'll be retracting that statement or changing the policy soon. And, to fall back on saying the insurance costs are too costly for people who are 'addicted' doesn't cut it, no way buddy. You may as well have everyone take physicals, cholesterol, and EKG's tests...which "addiction" would you classify yourself under?
Someone go beat some smart into this stupid person.

Last edited:

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Okay, everyone, lets band together as a group (power in numbers) and start a law suit. Wouldn't that be cool? Let's set a precedence, let's be heard load and clear. Where are the attorney's on this forum? Come on, speak up! If the NRA can do it so can we.

That's it! Work the system baby!!:)

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Okay, everyone, lets band together as a group (power in numbers) and start a law suit. Wouldn't that be cool? Let's set a precedence, let's be heard load and clear. Where are the attorney's on this forum? Come on, speak up! If the NRA can do it so can we.

Wouldn't it be easier (and more fun) to call the local
ambulance chasing attorneys that advertise on TV
and alert them to this issue?!

"Were you recently denied employment because
you stopped smoking and now use an E-cigarette,
or the FDA approved Nicotine patch or Nicotine gum?"

If so call our hot-line

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Wouldn't it be easier (and more fun) to call the local
ambulance chasing attorneys that advertise on TV
and alert them to this issue?!

"Were you recently denied employment because
you stopped smoking and now use an E-cigarette,
or the FDA approved Nicotine patch or Nicotine gum?"

If so call our hot-line

Sounds like a plan to me ... lol

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
while I love the idea, I think a lawsuit would only work if nicotine addiction was considered a disability, since nicotine users/former smokers aren't a legally protected class. The ambulance chasers would need to see lots of potential $$$ before they'd take a case. The only place this would work is in states where there are laws against denying employment based on use of lawful products - such as Wisconsin. (Drozd posted in an other thread that Wisconsin law states "No employer, labor organization, employment agency, licensing agency or other person may engage in any act of employment discrimination against any individual on the basis of use or nonuse of lawful products off the employer’s premises during non-working hours." but that wouldn't apply if the hospital was non-profit.)

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
First, in order for there to be a case, someone has to test the rule & be denied employment for nic in their system.

Then, they have to be willing to sue - to win what - the right to be employed there? There's no real $ to be had. It would most likely have to be an ACLU - or similar - thing.

Although, if an ambulance-chasing firm was looking for "free" exposure in lieu of outright advertising then some interest might be kindled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread