Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
You could have some shorts if you drill all the way, because of the center pole touching the inner rim of 510 connector.

Sent from my thumb

Nope:

IMAG0335.jpg IMAG0334.jpg

Unless I'm not understanding something?

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Treebeard, why not all the way through? I'm just curious, as I've cut all the way through on 3 of them. Now I'm wondering if there are negative side effects to that.

I suppose because it would be just a wee bit safer as far as shorting...and because _nderscore (op) says :D

I wanted to save vietstuh from making the same mistake that I did. Confused, because I hadn't done anything like this before, I cut the channel (but muddle-headedly neglected to go all the way to the bottom), put it back together and looked at the bottom and thought "how the hell is juice gonna make it to the top. Then I went back and looked at the tutorial (and paid closer attention this time) and realized I should have taken the channel all the way to the bottom. So, I just drilled up the center post. :lol:

It's working rather well but I like the RM2 better.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Yeah, I think I'd rather have drilled the center post too, but I don't have the skill to do so by hand with no drill press :( Cutting the insulator worked, but I am wondering if that is why it heats up so much.

Also, cutting the insulator puts your juice hole right on the bottom of the atomizer. It makes it completely flood proof, but if your wick lays on that hole, it pretty much sucks the juice out of the wick when you let go of the bottle.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Yeah, I think I'd rather have drilled the center post too, but I don't have the skill to do so by hand with no drill press :(

Funny you should mention drill skills. When I purchased this cheapy, I bought two just in case and sure enough I broke a bit and ruined one of them on my first attempt. Good thing they are cheap.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Nope:

Unless I'm not understanding something?

I agree, I don't see anydownside other being a bit harder to line up the two pieces created by the full slits when putting it back. But that shouldn't be a problem as commie has shown. I pressed out multiple of them so I know exactly what it looks like. I drill a hole in the center of the post & another hole on the post under the wire hole for juice to exit. But I have the luxury of doing it easily. ;) I think this is a great alternative.

And I actually shorten my insulators just a bit so the center pin doesn't stick out too far which can crush the 510 seal if screwed on all the way. All of mine measure about .19" from the bottom of the center pin to the bottom of the base. I modify them so they are .17" long, I used a regular 510 atty for reference. I also do use an oring in the juice well like the RM peeps.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I agree, I don't see anydownside other being a bit harder to line up the two pieces created by the full slits when putting it back. But that shouldn't be a problem as commie has shown.

I only cut it on one side. The insulator is still one piece, and wraps the post almost all the way around.

And I actually shorten my insulators just a bit so the center pin doesn't stick out too far which can crush the 510 seal if screwed on all the way.

This one is the opposite way. The stock positive pin is just a tad too short to reach the contact in the Reo. But, it moves around easily enough to where you can overextend it, and when you screw it down onto the mod, it gets adjusted. Not too loose, and the connector is not crushed.

BTW, I would not dare do that if I had just one Reo, and no rebuild kits sitting around. I have faith in myself, but I wouldn't bet my primary vape on it :)

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
Bummer. So I ordered some RBA's from Fasttech - cheap ones tried this on one and it now won't even go on a Reo anymore. Not sure why, the threads are fine and it works on all my other PV's. Worst part is I can't even see if it works :(.

I have 3 more but I think they will just be RBA's for testing new flavors.

Good part is 2 more RM2's showed up today as well.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
Bummer. So I ordered some RBA's from Fasttech - cheap ones tried this on one and it now won't even go on a Reo anymore. Not sure why, the threads are fine and it works on all my other PV's. Worst part is I can't even see if it works :(.

I have 3 more but I think they will just be RBA's for testing new flavors.

Good part is 2 more RM2's showed up today as well.

So I was working on another one and it had top screws and no slots for the wire. Figured thus was a great Candidate for cotton cool. The insulator was soft and was on Two pieces. A breeze to modify.

Works like a champ! Only down side was it tasted funny. The insulator turned out to be rubber. :banghead:

Translated by protocol droid &
sent via maintenance droid.

MochaNinja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Nawlins',LA
Just got home and found some Phoenix v4's waiting for me in my mailbox.

Took one out and pressed out the center post and insulator:

rj7gqeQl.jpg

Then, I took a dremel and cut a channel into the insulator. Leaving a little bit of material still there near the base of the insulator. (I didn't cut all the way through the insulator when I got past that little ridge on it)

lCqqVF0.png

cFGK8Dxl.jpg

Put it back toghether and tried putting it on my Reo Grand. Fits perfectly and juice flows straight up the channel I cut without any issue. Seems like it works!

Now, I need to clean this nasty little thing and get rid of all the machine oils :( I want to start using it right now!

A project!:D
Do you mind linking where you bought these? Thanks!
edit: found some!

Last edited:
You can do it on those. I've got the two post version and center post comes out pretty easily. Too easy actually. If I don't have it screwed to a mod the post wants to spin when I tighten the screw on the wire.

Well, it's good to know it can be converted! I'm excited to get this... I've already figured out the number of wraps I wanna use, and everything! I picked up a Stingray open-bottom as well. It's one of my favorite atomizers, and it's ABOUT TIME they offered an open bottom for us bottom feeder users! (Thanks Andre!)

Last edited:
I converted a cyclone clone into a bottom feeder recently and found that you don't need to push out the center post. I just found a small enough drill bit that it fit between the post and the base and drilled through the insulator. It works great.

I just got the A6 dual coil in vape-mail today, and I converted it in the same way. I drilled thru the insulator with a 1/32 dremel drill bit in 4 places. It feeds awesome, and vapes like a champ! Rocking 2x 1.7 ohm coils for a total of .85 ohms, (the coils are 6 turns of 30awg kanthal on a 14awg needle), and roll-cotton wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread