Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Awesome! Thanks so much for this. I went ahead and picked up a black aluminum and a SS one too for $13 shipped. Anybody know if the "SS" ones are actually stainless or not? It'd be nice, but I expect not for a $5 rebuildable. Can't wait to try out your nifty mod.

Thought I would throw this out here. Rob's Phoenix clone for $4

jeenam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
nyc
How difficult was it to get the insulator removed? The two I purchased don't seem to want to budge. The center posts came out without much effort.

Edit - got the insulator pushed out and managed to mod 2 of these. They work great. Nice to have liquid drain back down into the bottle instead sitting in the well like the hornet.

Last edited:

FreshSafari

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
Well, i'll be damned, these little rba's kick some serious .... on the reo grand, Thinking of trading or selling my mortar v5 to get another REO

I will mod another atty tommorow and try to post some clear pics, the more the merrier! Thanks for the tutorial, you saved me 80+ dollars (Was planning on buying a BF ERA)

zodduska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Illinois
I liked this mod so much that after the first few vapes I decided to give up my chalice.

I've run in to a few issues with the black aluminum version though, the threads are painted (or anodized maybe) so when I first installed it on my VVW it wouldn't fire. So I had to scuff them up a little to make contact, this weakened the already soft threads. The threads ended up stripped after using an oversized O-ring seal for less than a day. I rigged it with a tiny strip of aluminum foil until I receive more. ;)

Edit, I accidentally cut all the way through the part _nderscore mentioned not to but I don't think it will cause problems, the post is kept very securely centered regardless. Mine was very tough to get out, I had to use vice grips and pliers as a makeshift vice.

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal

Thank you for the link! I just ordered 5 of the SS RDAs & 2 of the alum RDAs. Planning on modding them for bottom feed as well as bottom air.

I also have one of those triangle dual coil RBAs on the way too which I will be attempting to do the same. I have an A7 now & it works pretty well now after I did some tweaking to it but I want something shorter. I was going to shorten the A7 yesterday but because of the way the cap was bored with a larger internal bore there was not enough material for me to rethread it if I shortened it.

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Glad it's working out for everyone so far :)

Just got a new button and spring for my grand on friday and since then, I've admittedly been vaping solely with my new ERA. I'm thinking I'll give the Phoenix v4 some love later and try to build a dual coil in it some time soon.

Edit, I accidentally cut all the way through the part _nderscore mentioned not to but I don't think it will cause problems, the post is kept very securely centered regardless. Mine was very tough to get out, I had to use vice grips and pliers as a makeshift vice.
My main concern with cutting all the way through was that the post might short against the side of the connector. But, as long as the juice flow channel you cut out is thinner than the post, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

jeenam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
nyc
I cut all the way. Be careful to not cut off so much that the post won't be prevented from touching the metal housing, as _nderscore mentioned.

To get the insulator pushed out I inserted an Allen bit just smaller than the opening of the center hole and tapped it with a hammer. To keep the atty raised so the insulator could be pushed out I placed it into the end of a crescent wrench. Simply adjust the end of the wrench to fit the threaded end of the Phoenix.

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Got bored and decided to build a quick dual coil in the Phoenix v4.

~.6ohms and producing some nice clouds.
Rsap7n4l.jpg

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
This is brilliant! Thanks so much _nderscore! I got my black and SS clones in today and modded them during my lunch break. I literally can't tell a difference in my SS Era and the Black modded Phoenix. I loved my Era more than any other atty I've ever used, but this sure makes for darn good clone. I couldn't be happier. I recommend this to anyone. It is a little PIA getting the pin out, but it's definitely worth the $70 saved. I too cut all the way through the insulator which I imagine would loosen up your juice supply a bit as you mentioned. Also, I drilled out the airhole just like my Era, it's perfect.

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
And everything just falls into place

http://.........blogspot.com/2013/05/rba-blowout-phenoix-v4-now-in-colors-549.html

Thanks for the info

Well, I got an SS one and a black anodized version both with drip tips in my order. All my drip tips fit fine in the SS one, but the black one is a little loose for most of my tips. The drip tips that come with them are nice though. I just need to find a fatter oring for whatever tip I use on the black atty. Anywho, can't complain too much for a nice $5-6 Era clone! I will admit I feel guilty for canceling an order for a real black Era. I really did want to support the creators of this awesome device, but I really can't tell the difference in my modded clone and the real thing. Feeling dumb for spending more than I need to sadly outweighs the guilt. Still glad I have a real Era though.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Omg, _nderscore, I can't thank you enough! I just got one from sun-vapers for about 5 bucks. This one gave me some serious pain trying to get the center pin out, had to scare it with a hammer. Couldn't get the insulator out, so I dremelled a groove into it in place and ground down the center pin so it wouldn't stick out so much as to short the 510 connector.

This actually seems to work better than the original ERA! Since the juice is coming up straight from the bottom rather than from the middle of a post, it's flood proof! Any excess liquid gets sucked down into the bottle. No flooding, no leaking.

All that for 5 bucks and half an hour of fiddling! Well, fiddling is free, since I actually enjoy it.

Thank you again!

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
This actually seems to work better than the original ERA! Since the juice is coming up straight from the bottom rather than from the middle of a post, it's flood proof! Any excess liquid gets sucked down into the bottle. No flooding, no leaking.
I'm finding myself using the Phoenix v4 more than my ERA right now because of this. Might have to sell off the ERA if this keeps up :p

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
I ordered a couple black ones to match my black wrinkle grand. I cannot for the life of me press out the post or insulator. I damaged the post a little bit using a hammer and an allen key, fortunately I didn't damage the threads. This thing won't budge. I drilled through the posts on the others that I have but I really want to try this method as it saves me from breaking a drill bit and tossing an atty, that happened to me twice but these things are so cheap that it doesn't hurt so much that a couple of precisely used F bombs can't fix.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I ordered a couple black ones to match my black wrinkle grand. I cannot for the life of me press out the post or insulator. I damaged the post a little bit using a hammer and an allen key, fortunately I didn't damage the threads. This thing won't budge. I drilled through the posts on the others that I have but I really want to try this method as it saves me from breaking a drill bit and tossing an atty, that happened to me twice but these things are so cheap that it doesn't hurt so much that a couple of precisely used F bombs can't fix.

I use an arbor press so it easy for me. Where are you located in Socal? If you're close by I'd be happy to press it out for you. Won't take more than a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread