Not open for further replies.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
OK - More resistance means less voltage?
Why would you want max resistance with no variance?
That means not adjustable right? Why have a pot at all?
Why is there a resistor on the pot? Does that change the range?

With this regulator the lower the resistance the higher the voltage output.

I don't think you would ever want max resistance other than in some specialized circuit.

I only use the variable of one side. You could tie it in for protection but if it's broke its broke

The ohms range for the regulator is 200ohms for around 6V and 450ohms for around 3V so you want a minimum of 200ohms hence the resistor attached to the variable giving you an operating range from 200ohm to 400ohm or 450ohm depending on the value of the variable resistor you choose. Basically the resistor sets the lower end of your range.

Here is a pic of the table I used to figure out the resistance needed for this regulator. The 200ohm variable was not in stock when I ordered so I had to figure it with 500ohm hence the difference in circuit design from what is posted here.
Trimmer_Circuit.png

Edit: I worded the values wrong but the table will make that clear =]
Edit: fixed

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
thats a 22K or 22000ohm resistor so it would not work. You will always need the single resistor to set you low end resistance as a variable goes from 0ohms to what ever it is rated at.

Edit: Read the spec sheet for your regulator to determine the resistance range you will need for the trimmer circuit. You then select a standard resistor that matches the highest voltage you want. Then figure the resistance you need for the lowest voltage you want and subtract your first resistor value from that to determine the ohms of the variable you will need.

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
So the resistor sets the low end / the pot sets the high end?

According to this spec sheet, the chart shows the 47 ohm having a max voltage of 6.85,
so that would be my high end? http://www.vishay.com/doc?51036

You are not pushing the voltage through these as they are just giving a ground reference to the regulator to set it's voltage level so a high wattage potentiometer is not needed. I do think you are getting the idea however but I think I messed up my description a little.

The standard resistor sets the [low ohm/high voltage] limit and the variable resistor adjusts from that point to the [high ohm/low voltage] limit. Hope that clears it up a little =]

Here is a 470 ohm version of that pot that is a little closer to what you could use without the standard resistor. You would not have the high limit without the standard resistor however so your regulator would be able to go all the way to it's maximum possible voltage. These Pots are overkill however unless you like the look and feel of them =]
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P16NP-470-ND

Here is the formula for figureing out the resistance levels vs. voltage for the OKR-T regulator. RTRIM (k) = _____________
(VOUT – 0.591)

Guess it doesn't copy and paste very well... I will post an image of it shortly..

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I dug up the spread sheet I used with the formula

Resistance=(1.182/(Voltage-0.591))*1000

ohms - Vout
444.528 - 3.25
406.3252 - 3.5
374.169 - 3.75
346.7292 - 4
323.0391 - 4.25
302.3791 - 4.5
284.2029 - 4.75
268.088 - 5
253.7025 - 5.25
240.7822 - 5.5
229.1142 - 5.75
218.5247 - 6

So at 444ohms you get 3.25V out of the regulator
At 218 ohms you get 6V out.

So if you wanted non variable you would use a single resistor at the the correct ohms for the voltage you would want. I use the standard 200ohm resistor so that the voltage can never go higher than 6V. then with a 200ohm variable in series you can go from 6V down to about 3.5V.

Last edited:

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
Thanks Bstedh,
I do like the looks, but the main thing is that it is panel mounted. I won't have to worry about kludging together a stem and knob.
It should give me a little more flexibility in where I can mount the knob on the outside in relation to where I mount the board
on the inside. I don't really have the knowledge yet to be putting together my own circuits, but the pre-assembled boards are
so big and the mounted pot severely limits where the board can be mounted inside the mod.

I have the four different 4050 booster chips. Would this pot be the one to use with the 4050 booster in Breaktru's configuration?

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I haven't really looked into to buck/boost circuit yet. You would have to ask one of the guru's that play around with them. I have only perused the info on them and don't have a good understanding of the needs for that chip yet and probably won't until I try to build one =] I'm the type that has to learn by trying and failing several times until I get it right...

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Last edited:

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
Reading...... (may take awhile) =]

He has a diagram like mine =]

PTN04050C_images.jpg

Looks like you need a 100K variable.
Digi-Key - P16NP-100K-ND (Manufacturer - P16NP104MAB15)

I would read through his whole thread and make sure you have a good understanding of the build before ordering parts however.

I have seen the Tantalum CAPS on a few diagrams and when looking for them, I cannot find them. I can find 100uF CAPS of several kinds, but not the Tantalum. Does it HAVE to be that kind, or what in general should I be looking at?

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread