Ego Booster FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
Hello. Thanks for checking out the Ego Booster. A number of questions have been asked about the product here and in other forums. Artisan John, our resident electrical wizard, conjured up this FAQ to answer most of them in one place. Actually he didn't conjure it so much as type it, but "conjure" sounds much more wizardy.

===========================================================================

What is the Ego Booster and how does it work?

The Ego Booster is a high frequency buck-boost switching power supply, which can supply a current of up to 3 amps with an input voltage range of 2.5 to 6 volts. The adjustment knob allows variation of the output voltage from a constant 3.3 to 4.7 volts, independent of the input voltage.

Does the Ego Booster pulse or switch its output in any way?

No, other than the normal switching of the buck-boost circuit, if the Ego Booster is supplied with a steady DC voltage, it will produce a steady DC voltage at the rated output current. Thus if you power the Ego Booster with a battery capable of delivering the rated current, it will produce a smooth DC output at whatever voltage you set it to.

If the input voltage to the Ego Booster is pulsed, for instance like the output of an eGo battery, then the output of the Ego Booster will also be pulsed. The Ego Booster will "superimpose" its output voltage on the input voltage supplied to it. Thus if the input voltage is switching (like the PWM output of an eGo battery) between 0 and 3.7 volts, the output of the Ego Booster will switch between 0 volts and whatever the Booster's output voltage is set to.

The output of the Ego Booster (when supplied with a DC input ) is smooth enough to power electronic circuitry, so it can be used as a 3 A variable voltage power supply for electronic projects.

Will I damage the Ego Booster if I connect it to the wrong battery?

Absolutely not. The Ego Booster has a plethora of safety features built into its circuitry, such as short circuit protection, input voltage dropout protection, current limiting, and over temperature shutdown.

The concern in plugging the Ego Booster to an unknown battery is with the battery. If the battery cannot handle the current the Ego Booster draws from it, then the battery could be damaged. This is why we recommend using only genuine eGo batteries (and high current replaceable batteries), since they have both been tested and proven to work reliably with the Ego Booster.

How are you able to make the Ego Booster so tiny?

The eGo Booster uses a state-of-the-art buck-boost switching power supply that switches at 2.4 MHz. Operating at such a high frequency allows the components in the circuit (inductors and capacitors specifically) to be very small relative to circuits that operate at lower frequencies. Technology has only recently advanced to the point where a 3A power supply could be built small enough to be compatible with the eGo form factor: the Ego Booster is the result.

Why didn't you make the output voltage range bigger?

4.7 volts was found to be the highest voltage that could be produced by the Ego Booster using a standard 650 mAHr eGo battery and driving a SR (2.5-3.0 ohm) atomizer. At higher voltages, the eGo battery's own limiting kicks in and the output power hits a maximum. At that point you don't notice any additional increase in vapor production as you adjust the output voltage higher. So there was no point in trying to drive a SR atty higher than 4.7 volts on an eGo battery.

Does the Ego Booster work with LR atties?

Absolutely! However, depending on the capacity of the battery you are using, you will find that the maximum output of the battery will limit out at a much lower voltage setting. The net effect is that the adjustment range of the knob (i.e. the range of knob adjustment for which you notice a change in the vapor output) will be reduced. For instance, we found that with 1.5 ohm LR atties there really is only a noticeable change in vapor production over the lower 1/2 to 1/3 of the knob adjustment range, compared to standard resistance atties which can use the entire adjustment range.

However, if you plug the Ego Booster into a mod with an IMR battery which can handle the higher current, then you should be able to adjust the output voltage over a much greater range. The limiting factor under these conditions would be the eGo Booster's maximum current output, which is 3A. If you try to draw more current than 3A out of the Ego Booster, the current limiting will kick in and the output voltage will stay constant.

Does the Ego Booster work with the Riva or other 3.7 fat batt devices?

Sadly, no. We found that 3.7 volt fat batts just could not produce the current required by the Ego Booster. As mentioned previously, if you connect an Ego Booster to one of these devices you will not damage the Ego Booster, however you may damage the battery.

The Ego Booster uses the fact that genuine eGo batteries use what is called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control the power going to the atomizer. If you use a device which does not use PWM, the battery must be capable of producing adequate current to power the Ego Booster. This is why we recommend high-current batteries for non-eGo devices.

Does the Ego Booster significantly reduce battery life?

Even when used at its maximum setting (4.7 volts), the Ego Booster should not reduce the time between charges of your battery by more than 25%. This is due to the quadratic relationship between power and current (while the life of the battery is linearly related to current). We will release a detailed explanation of this at a later date.

You will also find that you go through e-juice faster. We don’t think a detailed explanation for this will be necessary.

Artisan John

===========================================================================

Again, thanks for your interest in the Ego Booster. If you have any additional technical questions please add them to this thread, and we'll do our best to answer them. And by "we", I mean John. I just like leeching me some limelight.

TBL36

Last edited:

ISBN

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Happy Dale Sanatorium
Will I damage the Ego Booster if I connect it to the wrong battery?

Absolutely not. The Ego Booster has a plethora of safety features built into its circuitry, such as short circuit protection, input voltage dropout protection, current limiting, and over temperature shutdown.

The concern in plugging the Ego Booster to an unknown battery is with the battery. If the battery cannot handle the current the Ego Booster draws from it, then the battery could be damaged. This is why we recommend using only genuine eGo batteries (and high current replaceable batteries), since they have both been tested and proven to work reliably with the Ego Booster.

Just for clarity...

A genuine "eGo-T ™" will work with the "Booster"?

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
What would happen if I connect the ego booster to a regulated 5V mod...

It should work fine. The Ego Booster accepts input voltages from 2.5v to 6.0v. Just keep in mind that with a 5v input, the Ego Booster will act as a buck. The output voltage range of the Ego Booster will still be 3.3v to 4.7v.

TBL36

dmj4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
TN
I have genuine Ego-T batts (4 of them). I use the LR atty and a Type B tank.
I am trying to taste more of my juices and on the verge of ordering different attys and some cartos for it.
I do believe that the Tank System does bring out some juices like other set-ups do not, but there are some juices that suffer.

With my Ego-T LR Type B tank system, what differences in flavor can I expect/hope with the booster. I hope this is a fair question.

Thanks!

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
...So it also can be used on a 2*3 V batterie mod? Or not, because these batteries fresh of the charger will be 2*3.5 V...

This is a good question. Yes, fresh from the charger a pair of stacked 3.0v batteries puts out around 7.0v, but that's without load. Under load, even fresh from the charger, the voltage drops to 6.0v or less. For instance, with my GGTS and fresh-from-the-charger 3.0v batteries, without load, I get 6.8v. Load it up with a 2.5ohm atty, and the output voltage drops to 5.6v. So there shouldn't be any issue using the buck capability on a 6.0v battery stack, but the Ego Booster's output voltage range will still be 3.3v - 4.7v.

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
With my Ego-T LR Type B tank system, what differences in flavor can I expect/hope with the booster. I hope this is a fair question. Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't answer this question for you, as taste is very subjective and changes from person to person, juice to juice and day to day. For instance, I have one juice that's absolutely perfect on a 306 LR at 3.7v. I have another juice that only truly sings in a dual-coil eGo cartomizer at 4.2v, and yet another that, vaped on an 801 at around 4.2v is perfect on multiple levels. I could go on and on, but it wouldn't matter because these are only my preferences. Compounding the difficulty of answering this question is that what I love this week, I might not be so keen on next week, and another combination of juice/atty/voltage will be my all-day vape for a while.

Keep experimenting. Getting that perfect taste/vapor is far less a destination than it is a journey, with a lot of great stops along the way.

TBL36

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
This is a good question. Yes, fresh from the charger a pair of stacked 3.0v batteries puts out around 7.0v, but that's without load. Under load, even fresh from the charger, the voltage drops to 6.0v or less. For instance, with my GGTS and fresh-from-the-charger 3.0v batteries, without load, I get 6.8v. Load it up with a 2.5ohm atty, and the output voltage drops to 5.6v. So there shouldn't be any issue using the buck capability on a 6.0v battery stack, but the Ego Booster's output voltage range will still be 3.3v - 4.7v.

Thank You, this was a clear answer!

ISBN

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Happy Dale Sanatorium
Ok... I was skeptical after I found out what this was...

I'm not going to get into anything really technical here because this is sold as a "plug-and-play" item.

My first impressions of the eGo Booster:

Nice package and box ( I'll post a picture later), directions and Black Boost (paint matches the black eGo-T perfect).

I put a LR 1.7 carto full of RY4 on the Booster and hooked it up to my eGo-T battery.

I messed around turning it from high to low and was able to adjust the Booster, so the juice in the carto gave me the the best flavor and vapor.

It works and it works really well.

I understand the love for variable voltage now!!!

It didn't like (work) with my Riva, but that was not a big deal to me...

I'm going to add more later but it's been really busy here.

Ask me a question and I'll answer it as best as I can. :)

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
thinblueline36, so you produce and sell this nice thing? If so, there is a very good opportunity to get answers to some my questions
1. Do I understand correctly that this device works when input voltage is between 2.5 and 6 volts, even with usual li-ion battery? And it works with constant input voltage, not only with pulse, as we see using eGo accumulators? And when we use just accumulator as power supply, output voltage is non pulse? I mean - is an output capacitor on the board? This is very important for my project. On eGo I sometimes get false "overcurrent" - it is not a real short circuit, but just high frequency issue. I suspect that on your device with its 2.4 mhz frequency this problem could raise if there is no any output flattening capacitor. I don't mean flattening of eGo frequency, just flattening of 2.4 mhz.
2. Is it real buck-boost system, i.e. it keeps for example 4.0 volts output voltage if input voltage changes from, say, 4.2 to 3.0 volts?
3. Does it have it's own undervoltage (discharge) protection? I mean, if we use the device with an unprotected li-ion battery, is it able to automatically switch itself off when input valtage drops to, say, 2.5 or 3.0 v?
4. 3A is a current of reliable operation, or it is a current, when overcurrent protection engaged?
4. Last but not least: if I live in Russia, can I buy it?
Thank you in advance. Your device looks very, very promising.

Last edited:

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
Slimest, thank you for posting your questions. Your answers are below. As always, credit for answers on technical questions goes to John.

1 - Yes. It is a completely self-contained 3A buck/boost switching power supply. It has all the proper input/output filtering built in. If you want to use it as a variable DC supply to power an electronic project (for instance), it'll work just fine.

2 - Yes. See answer #1.

3 - Yes, the undervoltage protection kicks in if the input drops below 2.5 volts, however we still recommend using only protected batteries.

4 - 3A is the maximum current the unit can supply. Any more than that and the overcurrent protection will kick in.

5 - You should be able to. Happy Vaper ships all over the world. You may have to contact Jack to get specific shipping details/cost for your country.

If you have any other questions, please post them.

Regards,

TBL36

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread