Status
Not open for further replies.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
One dud Cartridge filler, it won't absorb, it leaks what it does absorb. Atty gurgling like a mountain lion. Replaced cartridge with another and all is well again.

Also had one dud Cartomizer out of bunches and bunches I've used. (doa dud). No gurglers in the whole bunches and bunches. I slurp out the excess from the sides after filling and let them sit overnight before using.

Overall, I'm a very happy Vaporer.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I'm pretty much a Joye only user. I've often flooded the 510 and it does gurgle, when it gurgles too much vapor falls off.

Your 4th paragraph has me confused. You start out talking about an atomizer, then "cartos", then I don't know. Can you please clarify? I guess it is the mega atomizer you like, not the cartomizer? You're saying the cartridge or the atomizer improves after a few refills? What is a "juicer"? You mean a juice feeder?
Correct, but I was referring to regular cartos, not the eGo's. It takes a few re-fills for an atomizer to break-in. After a few re-fills cartos decline.

What is a "juicer"? You mean a juice feeder?
Correct. I use a ....-fed, tilt to squeeze and a standard top-fed.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
I still use my Mega cylindrical Atomizers, I have a couple now that are pretty well-behaved. I always use them without cartridges, just drip 6 drops, and vape. When it starts drying out, and the bad taste tells you, start dripping a drop or two a bit to the side of center so as to wet the bridge and get some in the cup, then drip the remaining drops right on the bridge. The stuff distributes and a little pool becomes available.

I also use a couple of Mega cylindrical Cartomizers. These often start out with an acrid taste. I can't fathom the thinking. These manufacturers just don't have much concern for their customers. They seem to use whatever materials they have on hand. If you have a really nasty one, better to toss it. The good ones come around during the first cycle. If you have a scale, use it. Mine weigh 4.0 g empty. Filled with about 2.5 ml of VG based liquid they are close to 7.0 g. BTW, VG weighs 1.25 g/ml, PG weights about 1.0 g/ml, like water. When mine gets down to around 5.5 g, and the taste starts to worsen, I add about a ml of VG based juice while rotating and reinserting, with a syringe and a sharp 18G needle to help pierce the batting. Then it has to be shaken, to sit on its side for a while, have the excess mopped up at the battery connector. I start vaping soon, to heat and distribute the contents. Put the caps on to carry. They stop leaking as soon as some of the juice is used up. Two of them give me a hands-off no-dripping all-workday vape. Excellent for driving etc.

I should emphasize that these cartomizers, as usual, vary a great deal. The fact that every other one stubbornly reverts to taste like a toxic fire in a garbage can is not encouraging. The factory does not use consistent materials. I found two that I have been able to use for weeks, out of 5. Needless to say, this is not an acceptable ratio, and as "unwrap and use" items, they cannot be recommended.

The atomizers are better. If you wash them and periodically dry-burn them, they make a pretty good wide-barreled drip device, and look elegant on an eGo battery. The gurgling is hard to avoid. An empty cartridge makes a good tip, especially if you cut the inside portion short so the edges can never touch the bridge; otherwise you have to visually align things each time you put it back on. With cartridges, leaking was hard to control no matter what filler I tried; I very quickly gave up.

Last edited:

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Maybe I'm just not so picky, but the regular mega atty/cart combo is about as fiddle-free a vaping experience as I have found. I was going to try some of the cart mods and have found the regular ones seem to work well as-is. About the only complaint is that they really have to get soaked for a few hours when new before they wick properly. Once that's done, I'm good to go for a couple hours. When the vapor gets thick and a little burnt tasting (varies depending on how hard I'm hitting the PV), I refill with 20-30 drops and go again. Leaking is avoided by short-filling if I'm not going to immediately hit it hard for a while. These things on an eGo passthru battery are my main vapor tool these days. My poor 510 pass-thru with a drip tip is collecting dust LOL.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I really don't do anything special. The method depends on how big a hurry I'm in and it's only on the first fill. The best way is to pull the stuffing out, fill the cart about 1/3 with juice, then ease the stuffing back in. Afterward, let it sit somewhere for a while then add a few drops if possible and use. For a faster start I'll take a toothpick or bent paper clip and pull a little gap between the stuffing and the side of the cart and drip into that area until everything is wet, then use. The concept is not unlike getting a new oil lamp ready to use.

Either way, I've found the juice doesn't immediately soak into the filler until I've been using a new cart for a few hours. Just dripping into the filler results in the liquid just sitting on top of it. After filling with a bottom-up method, you get the filler saturated. After about a day or so they're as good as they're going to get. At that point, when I drip more liquid in, the drops soak in like a sponge almost immediately. I can vape the cart dry and put in as many as 40 drops for full to the top, or more usually 20-25 drops to get enough in there not to leak or flood and still go for a couple hours. Since flooding is avoided with a 80% fill, the vapor is nice and thick from the start.

I've only had to do this on three carts, which are loaded with my favorite flavors. I've found that cleaning attys and carts is a waste of time and haven't had any issues with the lifespan, taste, or any weird colors, mildew, or the like on either. If anything, the attys get better the longer they are in use.

If I want to try something new or just want a change from my favorites, I have a 510 bridgeless atty with a super-T drip tip on a passthru and a bunch of eGo batteries if I'm not at my desk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread