Ego mega carts and attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanda

Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all

I'm not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I tried the straw + blue foam mod on a Type A eGo atomizer last night and it's been going strong ever since (about 5 hours of moderate vaping all up). Great vapour, great flavour and no leaks. The only problem I've noticed is that if I let it lie on it's side for a while it dries up. Once I bring it to the vertical again it's fine.

I'm using a fairly thin straw and a single thin layer of blue foam on top of that (maybe about .5cm thickness). The blue foam is flush with the top of the cartridge. Maybe I was just lucky with my first effort and that's why it's not leaking, but it may be worth a go if you haven't already tried it.

Cheers
Sanda

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
OK, they don't have 000 Brass Wool, but ACE has Rhodes American Bronze Wool (fine - Finishing). It's about $6 for 3 pads, more expensive than steel, but feels nicer to the touch and works very well as cart filler-wick. To make the plug, roll a washed and dried piece lengthwise so the fibers can reach and wick all the way down to the bottom of the cart, and press together to get the ideal consistency, with a dense and flat head. It's relatively springy, so it bounces back where the atomizer bridge presses in a bit better than steel. By the way, squeezing the old steel wool in a syringe barrel proved that nothing much remains after it tastes and sounds like it's going dry. The whole Mega thing is a little like ammunition. IT doesn't go through juice faster -- I go through juice faster.

Last edited:

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Trying SO hard to have second thoughts on the Mega Cartomizers. They sure are handy. MAAAYBE I can put up with that taste of something burning, it is slight, isn't it. Maybe it's no longer there. We're crazy to be breathing this stuff anyway. :laugh:

I quit using them for that very same reason. The taste is not up to par with 510 carto's in my opinion. I don't think the juice wicks fast enough on the Mega's, but that's just speculation on my part.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Even though there's a little liquid in the empty cartomizer's filler, you can taste that something right off the bat - just pulse it once or twice before filling. Methinks there's a section that's not tucked under wet batting and it fries its insulation or whatever. How do you say, in Mandarin, "I don't want anything to melt and burn"? But, as some have it, "there are 5999 less harmful chemicules there than from smoking analogs." I do like the Atomizers.

If you use code "smoke" and code "trick" you can get titanium cylinder eGo Mega Atomizers at MyFreedomSmokes.com for, are you ready, $6.57 ea, most other hardware at 40% off too, and juice at 15% off. The titanium looks (gurgle) elegant enough with other colors. Standard 510 atomizers $4.95, LR 510 Atomizers $5.37, brass threaded 510 filled cartomizers $0.89.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the type A and type B Ego mega atties as well as the 510 style mega atties. The 510 mega wicks much better than the cone or cylinder, but you can improve wicking by trimming the filler for a looser fit.

I have gone through two mega cylinder type B Ego atties since the first week in September. The first one suddenly quit after 3 weeks and now measures 43.5 ohms. I received a warranty replacement from supplier and it lasted 4 weeks and reads zero ohms! After that one quit, I went back to my months old 510 mega atty and it's still working just fine.

Anyone experienced short life from the cone and cylinder atties? I really like them, but $12 a month for an atty is a little steep. I'd expect more life from them. I guess juice feeding is an issue. It's hard to keep them as wet as they need to be. Standing them up between vapes helps tremendously.

sanda

Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Someone mentioned somewhere (sorry, can't find it now) that they put one of the silicone caps from the mouthpiece of a standard cartomizer in the end of the type A eGo cartridge. I just tried this too and it seems to work remarkably well. Since the bridge rests against that, my only concern is the heat from the bridge melting it. Does anyone know if this is an issue? Do the bridges get very hot?

Last edited:

canabino

Sep 10, 2010
Thailand
Someone mentioned somewhere (sorry, can't find it now)
Here is the thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/120764-ego-xl-no-filler-cart-mod.html
and the video
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-filler-mod-ego-xl-vape-all-your-e-juice.html
Since the bridge rests against that, my only concern is the heat from the bridge melting it. Does anyone know if this is an issue? Do the bridges get very hot?
No they won't melt, silicone melts at very high temperatures and the bridge don't get as hot as the coil. Been vaping with the same mouthpiece for over 2 months now and it still looks new and no bad taste.

Last edited:

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
Anyone experienced short life from the cone and cylinder atties? I really like them, but $12 a month for an atty is a little steep. I'd expect more life from them. I guess juice feeding is an issue. It's hard to keep them as wet as they need to be. Standing them up between vapes helps tremendously.

No problems yet but I haven't had them long enough to judge.

So far they seem rock solid but that means nothing really since I've only tested them short term.

All of the mega ego attys I ordered (cylinder) come with a 6 month warranty. I doubt they'll last that long so plan is to wait until all 7 die, then send them back together to save on shipping, then receive new attys :) Good plan no?

sanda

Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane, Australia

canabino

Sep 10, 2010
Thailand
After using the silicon cap for a while I've found it to be very prone to leaking. I left one upright overnight and all of the juice had leaked out. How have you managed to avoid that?

What mouthpieces are you using 808D or 510? V4L has the cool cartomizers for 808 and their mouthpieces work best. They dont have ridges around the hole.
Well so far I have been very lucky with no leaking on three of my four attys. I have used this on four attys and one of the attys did give me problems with either leaking or running very dry. I figured out that the bridge on this atty was shaped a little different actually a little bent, maybe a factory fault. But the other three vape like a charms. I do take the cart and atomizer off the battery when I go to bed. Maybe give it a go. Or turn it battery side up and lean it against something when you know you are not going to vape for a while, maybe it is seeping through and if it is battery side up it can't.

Hope it helps.

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
Who offers a 6 mo warranty on this dodgy stuff? How much do they sell them for?
Do THEY have a plan a bit like yours, maybe chapter 11 or a plane ticket? ;-)

Haha! Don't think so but you never know :).

Health Cabin, so drawbacks are it's in china (long wait on postage, up to a month) So far they've been great with warranty stuff and think they're big enough where they won't do a disappearing act.

They cost about $9 each.

sanda

Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
What mouthpieces are you using 808D or 510? V4L has the cool cartomizers for 808 and their mouthpieces work best. They dont have ridges around the hole.

I've been using MSC mouthpiece caps - I don't have any V4L ones :-(

So far the blue foam + straw is working quite well for me, so I'll stick with that until I get some other caps to try.

Thanks for the help.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
After using bronze wool as a cart filler for a while I need to report that I've gotten corrosion with some juices, apparently containing a fair amount of water, like ecigexpress watermelon, appropriately enough. This causes a nasty dark color, i think vert-de-Gris from the copper content, to develop, and that's potentially a lot more dangerous than rust. So I'm looking for stainless wool, and using steel wool and ye olde plastic in the meantime. Sorry it didn't work out, I wanted to let others know.

Andy1100

Sep 30, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Strange as it sounds, I use my eGo XL atty and cart kind of as a drip tip. If I fill the cart up the thing leaks like a ***. So I fill up the cart but don't insert it all the way, I leave about 1/8th in from being fully seated. I just raise or lower the cart in the atty according to how it's vaping. I'll push the cart down for about a minute then lift it back up and vape.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
OK, yes, there is a bit of gurgling, but I agree it signals profoundly powerful wicking, and while waiting for Joye to design a better air inlet, I'm OK with a bit of sound.
Don't know if I agree, gurgling signals flooding, the coil is soaked and the cup is full. From there we eventually get leaking as the un-vaporized liquid works it's way down into the connector. Blowing into the atty from the mouthpiece end usually fixes it and restores vapor production. It has nothing to do with the air inlet holes of the mouthpiece.

A cart that large will present some filling/wicking/leaking challenges, just like the large cart DSE 801's did.

I pretty much agree with GooDog and DaveP.

I have to say that even with a few issues the round eGo Mega Atty is a great performer, far superior to any carto I've tried. After about 4 re-fills cartos start get hard to draw and the taste/vape changes. These Megas actually improve after a few re-fills. Love the mouthpiece and it's so easy to top off that huge cart (no searching for my glasses). So tired of needles, slow drips, spins, drops, cart condom fill ups. Trying to drain the whole cart is no biggy, I use about 1.5ml before I need to top off... that's plenty and makes getting the packing/fill right easier.

I usually use juicers, unfortunately these won't fit on them. Wanted to try MEGAs though, in the interest of science. :) Once the one I'm using starts to fall off I'll move it to 4.2V for a second wind and see how it goes.

Litecig has good prices and $2 shipping.

Joye ego mega Atomizer

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Finally I got a dud Mega Cart so now I can empathize with those who've had them. My previous carts were awesome! They each lasted a month.. just less filling and more topping towards their dying days. This one, my 3rd, really sucks. It won't absorb much eliquid, it gurgles, I have to top it off every 5 vapes. Had I of gotten this 3rd one 1st, there's no way I would have recommended these or bought more. I consider myself lucky indeed, however, because I know for a fact that theses eGo Mega Carts and Attys work like a dream when they work right.

I'm also a big fan of the eGo Mega Cartomizers for hassle free vaping while out and about. I've gone through at least 15 of those babies and only had 1 dud out of the bunch. I recommend these.

For ALL types of styles, regardless of atty/carto/DD, etc... my most favorite tool of all is the Lanyard from COV. (cloudsofvapor). No more sticky fingers! I could care less if it's leaking because it doesn't affect me at all lol. Best purchase I ever made yet.

Oh, and Mega Attys with the Mega Drip Tips are totally awesome too... once you get the hang of it. :) Until you get the hang of it, they're just a bigger p.i.a.

That's my 2cents worth. Hope it helps somebody, somewhere, sometime.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
WillyB, I use the mega atomizer with an empty cart now primarily as a monster dripping device. I can drip say 5-7 drops, hold it horizontal to quiet it, then tip to feed the coil. This is different from normal dripping, you can keep quite a pool of liquid in the barrel and tip up or down. Put the machine down on its side and nothing leaks.

Of course the best vapor production is at "wet but not flooded", but the mega atomizers seem to even gurgle at that point.

Your 4th paragraph has me confused. You start out talking about an atomizer, then "cartos", then I don't know. Can you please clarify? I guess it is the mega atomizer you like, not the cartomizer? You're saying the cartridge or the atomizer improves after a few refills? What is a "juicer"? You mean a juice feeder?

Uma: is it a dud cartridge or cartomizer you got? All this abbreviation and acronym usage makes it hard to be sure. But if a cartridge is troublesome, how can it be outright "bad", can't you just replace the filler?

I don't really understand why these atomizers gurgle as much as they do. It can't JUST be the flooding. A 510 atomizer, even pretty flooded, hardly ever gurgles. Have you disassembled one? On the B (cylindrical barrel) type it looks like the cup would slide out, but is held in place with silicone that would have to be broken free, maybe pushing with a piece of tubing just a bit smaller than the i.d. of the barrel. It seems like the coil is bigger, a longer but thicker wire, roughly same resistance. It sure cooks that juice! I like 'em. My main problem now is I vape so much juice I need to cut the nicotine level down or I OD.

Maybe we need to put a lip on the cartridges, or is the problem that they wick so well the leaking is through the bridge?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread