Ejuice calculator (added quantity calculations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Ok update,
with the addition of the recipe page, I find it a mute point to continue work on the "Recipe Data Base" as all the recipes can be contained in this one file that does it all. I have updated the V7 file with more recipes from my database and added a contributor field. There are now 38 recipes that use only unflavored nic juice and Lorann, Cappela or Bickford flavors. So download and enjoy! As always the download link is now in my sig line.

If you want to help me find recipes that are not on this list and add them to the recipe page, then shoot me the file in email, then I can cut and paste them, sort them and post the update.

Thanks everyone!
Dan

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Dan, I must have screwed up when I sent you the Ratios formulas spreadsheet. The formulas in E37 through E41 are wrong. If you change E8 to anything another than 10, the percentages do not total 100%.

E37 should be: =E37/(SUM(E37:E41))
E38 should be: =E38/(SUM(E37:E41))
E39 should be: =E39/(SUM(E37:E41))
E40 should be: =E40/(SUM(E37:E41))
E41 should be: =E41/(SUM(E37:E41))

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Dan, I must have screwed up when I sent you the Ratios formulas spreadsheet. The formulas in E37 through E41 are wrong. If you change E8 to anything another than 10, the percentages do not total 100%.

E37 should be: =E37/(SUM(E37:E41))
E38 should be: =E38/(SUM(E37:E41))
E39 should be: =E39/(SUM(E37:E41))
E40 should be: =E40/(SUM(E37:E41))
E41 should be: =E41/(SUM(E37:E41))

E37 - E41 are manual entry cells??? in the current V7 and in the one you sent me E37 - E41 are the Flavor names???

PM me
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Oops.

In the current v7 linked in your sig:

H37 should be: =E37/(SUM(E37:E41))
H38 should be: =E38/(SUM(E37:E41))
H39 should be: =E39/(SUM(E37:E41))
H40 should be: =E40/(SUM(E37:E41))
H41 should be: =E41/(SUM(E37:E41))

LOL Ok, Now I understand, it has been corrected! Thanks for keeping me in line :)
Dan

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Too true! I would like to add your second feature in the pull down manufactures list and flavor list, but we need to get it working correctly on the first page.
Dan
What's not working?? Wasn't it working when I gave it to you?

Anyway, you might want to hold off on that. I added Tasty Puffs, and I'm working on my version of saving recipes.

Bubo

ECF Veteran
Ok update,
with the addition of the recipe page, I find it a mute point to continue work on the "Recipe Data Base" as all the recipes can be contained in this one file that does it all. I have updated the V7 file with more recipes from my database and added a contributor field. There are now 38 recipes that use only unflavored nic juice and Lorann, Cappela or Bickford flavors.
Dan

:)
I must have had an originally v7 - downloaded it again and there they are! :) I like the drop down...

Way to go Dan - thanks a bunch!

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
What's not working?? Wasn't it working when I gave it to you?

Anyway, you might want to hold off on that. I added Tasty Puffs, and I'm working on my version of saving recipes.

OK no problems will hold off :p

What I meant was the flavor page worked, but the pull downs on the caculator page for the manufactures and flavors did not. Havent had time to work em yet.
Dan

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
...the flavor page worked, but the pull downs on the caculator page for the manufactures and flavors did not.
Do you work in Excel or Open Office? They worked fine in Excel... I guess I'll go download OO and try to figure it out before I perfect this recipe thing. Argh.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Do you work in Excel or Open Office? They worked fine in Excel... I guess I'll go download OO and try to figure it out before I perfect this recipe thing. Argh.

Ok it does work, the manufactures celss were greyed out so I didnt try to use them, I heve recolored it and re organized it some. I will wait for the updated recipe list before posting the update.

This is the third time I have tried to post this today. With the server being busy continuosly.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Ok update to V7, Scottes and I have teamed up and he has added a nice drop down list when selecting flavors for your recipes. First select the manufacturer, then the flavor. Once you have the recipe the way you like it, you can record it on the recipe page that Dale.S created. The recipe page now has 46 recipes on it. And we will continue to add recipes to it as people send them to us or we add our own. Some already listed in this are from combing the different post looking for recipes that users have created (credits given on recipe page). I would like to eventually record them all in one location. These are ONLY recipes that use unflavored nic juice and one of the 6 flavor vendors listed, yes SIX... Scottes has been busy adding in the remaining 3, so we have all of the popular vendor flavors listed.
Bickford
Capella
Faeries_Finest
FlavourArt
LorAnn
Tasty_Puff

Ok what else.... hmmmm

Oh yeah ENJOY!

Download link in my signature!
Dan & Scottes

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
S W E E T !!!!!

One question though, unless this has been answered:

The recipes list the correct ratio of flavorings, but shouldn't they also include an "overall" ratio or percentage of the total bottle of juice? You can adjust the amount of flavoring in the top section (5%, 10%, etc) but this number obviously affects the strength of the flavoring in the vape. While this can be subjective, it would seem to me that this might be a good thing to have automatically changed per recipe.

Only downside is it should also be overrideable. IE: When the recipe is chosen, this cell can be based off a cell on the recipe sheet (using a formula in cell F10) but if the user wants it stronger they can just change it. But if a user overrides it, it would break the formula.

If anyone agrees with this, does anyone know if you can change a cell's value using a formula in another cell? If not, it could easily be done with VBA code, which I happen to be familar with having created Excel sheets for work using extensive VBA code (I've been writing software in VB for many years). Only problem is that macros would need to be enabled in order for it to work, and also I don't know if OpenOffice utilizes VBA code which would cause problems for those who use it.

Maybe this is what Dale meant here unless I misunderstand him: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/32206-ejucie-calculator-added-quantity-calculations-10.html#post593060

Edit: Or am I over-thinking this and the ratio of overall flavorings to nic/pg/vg shouldn't change much per recipe?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
S W E E T !!!!!

One question though, unless this has been answered:

The recipes list the correct ratio of flavorings, but shouldn't they also include an "overall" ratio or percentage of the total bottle of juice? You can adjust the amount of flavoring in the top section (5%, 10%, etc) but this number obviously affects the strength of the flavoring in the vape. While this can be subjective, it would seem to me that this might be a good thing to have automatically changed per recipe.

Only downside is it should also be overrideable. IE: When the recipe is chosen, this cell can be based off a cell on the recipe sheet (using a formula in cell F10) but if the user wants it stronger they can just change it. But if a user overrides it, it would break the formula.

If anyone agrees with this, does anyone know if you can change a cell's value using a formula in another cell? If not, it could easily be done with VBA code, which I happen to be familar with having created Excel sheets for work using extensive VBA code (I've been writing software in VB for many years). Only problem is that macros would need to be enabled in order for it to work, and also I don't know if OpenOffice utilizes VBA code which would cause problems for those who use it.

Maybe this is what Dale meant here unless I misunderstand him: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dded-quantity-calculations-10.html#post593060

Edit: Or am I over-thinking this and the ratio of overall flavorings to nic/pg/vg shouldn't change much per recipe?

Any thoughts?

Hmmm I see your point, since the flavors are percent based off of the total make up of flavors the base % going into the mix would be subjective to the individual. I would leave it and recommend 5% as a base for flavor. You can always add to flavor, but can not take away. But it is based on the % flavoring in F10 based off the number of drops per ml in F14. If any of those change then so do the recommended drops. Running multiple fields for recommended and what the user likes could be way off. One user might like 5% and another might like 15%, so I would let the user decide.

But the ratio of how much per flavor is set in the recipe section. That is the ratio of flavors to equal 100% of total flavoring to add. And then this amount is based on the # of drops per ml and the % to add. So to many moving parts to stick another wrench into LOL

Anyone elses thoughts?
Dan

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I don't totally understand your question - but that's probably because I am thinking differently. So perhaps I can explain my reasoning for liking how this works.

When I concoct a recipe, I find that certain flavors work well together, but rarely in equal amounts. So I might find that coffee works when enhanced slightly with a little toasted almond, and a hint of chocolate. So I may end up making a tiny test batch with something like 10 drops of coffee to 2 drops of toasted almond and a single drop of chocolate.

I'll vape 3-5 drops of this, and then adjust the flavoring. Maybe another drops of toasted almond, and 2 more drops of chocolate.

That, to me, is the recipe - the mix of tastes that coordinate to make a final product.

Now I tend to like this flavor to be very strong in my juice, so I go up top in the spreadsheet and make the flavor percentage to be 25% of the final mix. I like the final product to be 10mg nicotine from a 40mg base, and 15% VG to give good vapor. The rest is PG, and the calculator figures everything out to make me a 10ml bottle full of this.

My wife likes this flavor, too, but not as strong, so for her I set the flavor strength to 20%. She also likes 24mg nicotine, but no VG because it gives her a headache. I change those settings - 24mg and 0 VG - the calculator changes all the amounts to make her bottle.

Both of us end up with the same flavor, but our batches are wildly different in all of the ingredient amounts.

Alas, I haven't played with the new recipe database part of this spreadsheet yet, so I'm not sure how it works. But with my example above, I'd probably end up with 2 entries in the recipes sheet - one for me, and one for my wife.

Last edited:

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I agree, to make F10 dynamically change with the recipe definitely complicates things. Again, the overall strength of flavor in the vape is subjective. My thought was just that recipes with several stronger flavorings would probably require a less overall ratio of flavorings compared to a combination of weaker flavorings. It's really probably best to leave it. I wondered if people adjust the overall flavor percentage with each recipe, but if they did, that info is not listed in the recipes.

So, you usually do about 5% flavorings on all of your recipes Dan? I am still yet to make my own juice (have everything I need, just using up my pre-mixed juice first), but I was thinking more like 20% flavorings...... eeek. Maybe too much!

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
LOL good explanation, I have already rewritten and added fields in to take into account the recommended %, BUT I would have to use the =IF(F11>F10, Use recommended, else use users) the problem is if the recommended is 25% the user can not run it at say 7% because F11 the new recommended % field is > than F10 the users input. Most users know the strengths they like. Me I prefer 5-10% After 100+ days my taste buds have come back and I dont need it that strong anymore.
But I think we should leave it as is, and allow the user to decide on the % strength for themselves. The flavor is decided on by the recipe as Scottes discussed and the strength of the flavor (how strong it is) is decided on the % of flavoring added.
I concur with Scottes here.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread