Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Even most "hybrid" tanks, that can supposedly do DTL and MTL well, do not provide a good enough MTL draw for those that only MTL, though there are many sub-ohm vapers who seem to think otherwise. I personally think those folks have just plain forgotten what a good mouth-to-lung vape should actually feel like.

Or, just possibly, people simply have different opinions.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: TrollDragon

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
You may want to give it another try - https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...gh-temps-even-in-tootle-puffers.791711/unread

I never got into TC until I started sub-ohming and DL so I am not sure what mod/tank might be best for above ohm tc mtl vaping but I am sure there are plenty of people that sub ohm mtl vape in that 0.5 - 1.0 ohm range.
i use NiFe48 now exclusively in the range 0.2-0.4, most around 0.25. Works just fine. Treat it pretty much like kanthal. Microcoils no problem, pulsing out hotspots no problem, even dry burning to clean no problem. Probably the best all round TC now imho!

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Hey guys. Quick question.

I have a couple of picos. I usually use a cubis pro during the day and at night, when I get really crazy, I use a Melo 3 for a little better flavor.

On one of the picos, after totally normal performance, the Melo 3 will show "no atomizer "and stops working. The cubis pro never has that issue. I can put it on the same pico that flashed the "no atomizer" and it's fine. The 2nd pico never has this issue.

Any ideas what this could be? Timeven to get another?

Thanks all.

Reactions: IMRs

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods

I have a couple of picos. I usually use a cubis pro during the day and at night, when I get really crazy, I use a Melo 3 for a little better flavor.

On one of the picos, after totally normal performance, the Melo 3 will show "no atomizer "and stops working. The cubis pro never has that issue. I can put it on the same pico that flashed the "no atomizer" and it's fine. The 2nd pico never has this issue.

Thanks all.
You can try updating the firmware.

Reactions: ChelsB

RayRay69

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2015

Thanks all.

I think it just might be bad coil. Have u tried new coil?

Reactions: TrollDragon

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
New colors
cCrDZhW.jpg

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016

Thanks all.
Did you ever drop it? Sounds like the same problem my friend has... her melo does the same thing... the 510 pin in the mod collapsed a bit we figure..it's not making connection.. I gave her my Crown Mini and it works perfect on it..think cause it has a longer 510 to make the connection.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Hmm, liking the Dazzling and the Brushed Gun Metal, but that will bring the family to 11... Intervention!!! :danger:
:thumbs:Nice! Where are they sold? Link please? I only have 2, so I think I can sneak one more into the collection and not have to worry about an intervention just yet!.... You on the other hand...JK. ;)

Reactions: IMRs

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
:thumbs:Nice! Where are they sold? Link please? I only have 2, so I think I can sneak one more into the collection and not have to worry about an intervention just yet!.... You on the other hand...JK. ;)

They're leading off the new items listing at Fasttech today: FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

All these new colors are great and proves that these are probably Eleaf's best sellers, but I really wish that they would realize that the 22-23mm tank limitation needs to be addressed. The Smok AL85 (aka Baby Alien) will probably be next for me for tank versatility, but I'll always keep a lookout for new Picos. :wub:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hmm, liking the Dazzling and the Brushed Gun Metal, but that will bring the family to 11... Intervention!!! :danger:
I notice that people colleted provaris for the colors. Picos are enough of a classic the same may happen with them. Looks liike the manufacturer has figured that out. I'm like Henry Ford. I like any color so long as it's black. If there was an all black Mega I'd have to have one.
They're leading off the new items listing at Fasttech today: FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

All these new colors are great and proves that these are probably Eleaf's best sellers, but I really wish that they would realize that the 22-23mm tank limitation needs to be addressed. The Smok AL85 (aka Baby Alien) will probably be next for me for tank versatility, but I'll always keep a lookout for new Picos. :wub:
My reasoning is the people using the oversize atomizers need more than a 75 watt mod to fire it. Eleaf has this form factor. It sells so why not keep selling it and sell multiples to the same customers by bringing out collectible colors. Not only am I not going to a bigger atomizer, I'm not even going to a different atomizer. (I believe Smok sell their version of this form factor but able to accomodate a bigger atomizer. I'm not interested because i don't want or need bigger.)

I hope some day they do a Pico 2 with upgraded electronics. I'm using the Arctic Fox firmware on my pico and Mega and enjoying that a lot. The real time temp and power info is teaching me how to get a better vape. It would be great if my pico could store my day of vaping and let me look at it later on a comptuer as Escribe does. I bet that's coming.

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
I hope some day they do a Pico 2 with upgraded electronics. I'm using the Arctic Fox firmware on my pico and Mega and enjoying that a lot. The real time temp and power info is teaching me how to get a better vape. It would be great if my pico could store my day of vaping and let me look at it later on a comptuer as Escribe does. I bet that's coming.
Yes, ArcticFox is a awesome! I don't think DNA stores logs for entire day of vaping, I only see last temperature, last watts, etc. It's exactly the same as ArcticFox in this regard.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Yes, ArcticFox is a awesome! I don't think DNA stores logs for entire day of vaping, I only see last temperature, last watts, etc. It's exactly the same as ArcticFox in this regard.
Currently there is another formaldehyde scare percolating in the forum based on a claim that coil temps higher than 470 F are bad and even tootle puffers might creat them. What I'm learning from the Arctic Fox firmware is what temp and watts were used for the last puff I took. When my 1.35 ohm stainless coil is saturated I get the vape I want at 250 F, which is 200 F lower than the alleged dangerous temp. Vapers who use Kanthal and power mode and are concerned about this claim could do a TC build that mimicks their power mode build an see what temperatures it's hitting. When i stopped using power mode i was building 1.6 ohm kanthal coils and firing them at 20 watts. The odds are those coils were rarely going above 300 degrees but now anyone with a pico or vtc mini or a bunch of other TC mods can figure out their own situation.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Currently there is another formaldehyde scare percolating in the forum based on a claim that coil temps higher than 470 F are bad and even tootle puffers might creat them. What I'm learning from the Arctic Fox firmware is what temp and watts were used for the last puff I took. When my 1.35 ohm stainless coil is saturated I get the vape I want at 250 F, which is 200 F lower than the alleged dangerous temp. Vapers who use Kanthal and power mode and are concerned about this claim could do a TC build that mimicks their power mode build an see what temperatures it's hitting. When i stopped using power mode i was building 1.6 ohm kanthal coils and firing them at 20 watts. The odds are those coils were rarely going above 300 degrees but now anyone with a pico or vtc mini or a bunch of other TC mods can figure out their own situation.

This scare keeps popping up once and awhile. It is pushed hard by a few strongly into TC, including at least one manufacturer it would seem, as a reason why we should all be using TC - or nothing at all.

I don't buy into it myself. I've been tootle puffing for years, only recently getting into rebuilding and using TC builds on TC devices. My MTL vaping has definitely been less harmful to me over the years than smoking would have been instead. I saw general health improvements just within the first weeks of switching, using toppers like the CE4 (the iClear 16) at one point in my vaping life for well over a year, until I eventually upgraded. My general health still improved through that period of time, and now continues to get better - though at a less noticeable rate of improvement.

I was having a hard time getting TC first at right, giving up on it a time or two, but I seem to be getting a better hang of it this time around. I still like my good straight power mode builds as well though - which I am also working to improve.

TC definitely has some advantages when you get it right, but I don't think vastly improving the harm reduction of vaping is necessarily one of them. I could eventually be proved wrong on that. It is hard to tell, just because there is so much bogus vaping science out there - based on hidden political and financial agendas.

My biggest problem with rebuilding, and in turn doing TC builds, was getting the wick right with rayon - which is a bit of a challenge. I also had a hard time with the idea that you could get a good MTL vape off a 0.5 sub ohm coil, and that I did not need to struggle with trying to get above ohm TC builds right - especially since most TC devices don't run well (or at all!) with TC builds above 1 ohm or so. (I still don't know why there is this common limitation. Maybe to save TC algorithm data space on small e-cig chips?)

I also needed to disassemble the two Kayfun Mini V3 RTA clones I use for TC builds, and reassemble them using blue Loctite (thread lock), so as to help prevent loose connection issues I was previously having -that threw my TC vapes way off, enough to constantly frustrate and annoy me. I also upgraded the firmware on both my iStick Pico mods recently, which I think also may have helped.

Since I'm a "tootle puffing" mouth-to-lung style (chain) vaper, I find I'm doing just fine vaping a 3mm ID, 0.5 ohm, 6-wrap, 26 gauge SS 316L wire build at about 12W, with the max temp set to a mere 320F. That's cool, relatively speaking, but still produces nice MTL vapor and flavor. I play around with the settings still, of course, but I'm surprised I don't need to run the setup at 20-25W, with a max temp more like 420-450F like some others do for a satisfying MTL that is supposedly still "cool" running.

Of course, those people may be using something other than an iStick Pico with those settings, so that may make all the difference - along with maybe using a different topper as well. These devices sure do vary a lot in how they do TC.

What's up with this "ArcticFox" people are talking about? Is that some optional firmware you can load onto an iStick Pico, or just some desktop software you can analyze your Pico with? Do you find it necessary, or just nice to optionally have? I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread