Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
No one takes Carol Thompson serious in Wisconsin and she's been largely ignored on the comments. But then again I can understand how someone can go off the table. Let's not forget about the 3 decades old misinformation campaign against ST by tobacco control groups. Then there is 3rd hand smoke and exaggerated claims about SHS. Where does one draw the line when TC is just as nuts as Carol is.

This is an excellent discussion that has clarified what THR is about. It's exactly the place where the public can get educated. The Isthmus is a highly respected weekly out of Madison and the Daily Page is part of there online version. This is grass roots activism at its best.

+1 on that Stubby

A consistent message is nice and very professional, but having people involved is even more important. It's refreshing to see people talking back at the absurd stance that these national organizations have taken.

Prohibition has been tried so many times in the past and where has it worked? If you want to reduce smoking, you need to give the smokers facts that make staying away from something they WANT to do. I get all the benefits of smoking now, without the need to inhale smoke. However, I'm using both E-cigs and snus, advertised as not safe alternatives to smoking! A much better sales pitch to smokers would be use E-cigs and snus, 90-99% safer than smoking.

It would really be nice if these people spent the wasted money on prohibition on developing a continuum of risk that could be agreed on by all.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
It boggles the mind as to why there is even a discussion about it. I am left with the suspicion that the controversy comes from the fact that ecigarettes/personal vaporizers are not controlled by the pharmaceutical or tobacco industries.

In an attempt to promote PV's, has any of the companies or the CASAA thought of sending a kit and some eliquid along with a letter explaining the benefits to President Obama? He may be of some good use after all. In the long run I don't think it could hurt.

If BT had the product, the anti groups would be up in arms about the same things, avoidance of smoking bans and marketing to kids. If BP had the product,it would probably be fast tracked as an innovative approach and advertised on on the "health" organization web sites. Of course, the kit would again cost in the neighborhood of $150-200, the carts would be low nicotine and ineffective and that circle of quit, smoke would continue.

Apparently the Obama idea has already been tried plus the latest I've heard, they are saying he quit smoking (maybe he IS using the PV). However, more than likely he used something like Chantix, he seems like a non-neurotic type of guy, what harm could it do?

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I just read that article and most of the comments. I am left with the question, why is anyone opposing ecigarettes?

We have a product which is more than significantly better/safer that what it is intended to replace. I has absolutely no ill effects for anyone else.

It boggles the mind as to why there is even a discussion about it. I am left with the suspicion that the controversy comes from the fact that ecigarettes/personal vaporizers are not controlled by the pharmaceutical or tobacco industries.

In an attempt to promote PV's, has any of the companies or the CASAA thought of sending a kit and some eliquid along with a letter explaining the benefits to President Obama? He may be of some good use after all. In the long run I don't think it could hurt.

The reasons that there's such a bru-haha against PV's are varied - ranging from conspiracy theory to things that are grounded in common sense...keep reading the forum, especially the news areas, to get the full extent.

And there have been numerous attempts and suggestions to send Obama an ECig-in fact, last year there was a statement that one of the congressmen who use a PV gave one to the Prez. So....Obama's aware of ECigs, never fear.

Unfortunately, it's all about image in the White House (and before someone jumps on me for starting an Obama rant - it's not - it's image all the way no matter WHO'S sitting in the Oval Office) and image will never allow him to be seen using an unapproved Chinese toy as a method to quit smoking, especially with the hotbed of contention surrounding these at this time.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I just read that article and most of the comments. I am left with the question, why is anyone opposing ecigarettes?

We have a product which is more than significantly better/safer that what it is intended to replace. I has absolutely no ill effects for anyone else.

Well, apparently one of the reasons is blind hatred. In a different article, I posted a comment about the failure record of the FDA-products. This was a response to my comment:

cowpaddeedaddee

It's like when people try to blame the diet for not losing weight. It's not the diet or the cessation program's fault. It's the fault of the weak-minded person who can't properly execute the plan.

As far as the e-cigs. I really hope this is just a delivery vehicle for dangerous chemicals. Of course, smokers won't cry "foul" until they get sick.

What a pile of cow pie.

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
Drozd, thanks for your post #74 - I was hoping someone would post that link, I'd forgotten where to find that article. It is absolutely outrageous - greed, corruption, ineptitude, deception, fraud, and total lack of conscience. The duplicitous nature of State Governors and their irresponsible and arguably, self-serving, actions concerning the tobacco settlements and anti-smoking legislation in general borders on criminal and should be raising a public ire and demand for accountability and fiscal reform.

Shotline

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Idaho
Well, apparently one of the reasons is blind hatred. In a different article, I posted a comment about the failure record of the FDA-products. This was a response to my comment:

What a pile of cow pie.

I agree. I have been coming to the conclusion that the current crop of stop smoking groups have no real desire to see people stop smoking. The tobacco companies for obvious reasons, the state because they lose all the tax revenue they have become addicted to, the supposed stop smoking groups because they lose their funding, the pharmaceutical companies because they lose the revenue from the products that they know don't work but people are encouraged to keep trying them, and the anit-smoking crowd in general because then they will have to find someone else to hate on.

Even though I am new to PV's, I find them to be exactly what I need to stop smoking. I guess I will just need to stock up on parts and liquid in anticipation of a ban that I hope will never come.

It is very depressing sometimes.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Now I'm sure everyone has been waiting with "baited" breath, but within the next week or so, we should finally find what type of reporter our friend Emily is-

"My long-promised, more thoroughly researched opinion piece on electronic cigarettes will finally go to print in either this week’s or next week’s issue of Isthmus. I encourage you to pick up a copy to read it, and then of course feel free to write in with your own opinion/reaction. In the meantime, the Wall Street Journal just ran a fairly in-depth article that gives a refreshingly detailed overview of the controversy surrounding e-cigarettes. Read it here."

At least she apparently read the Wall Street journal article which should have enlightened her from another perspective.

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Now I'm sure everyone has been waiting with "baited" breath, but within the next week or so, we should finally find what type of reporter our friend Emily is-

"My long-promised, more thoroughly researched opinion piece on electronic cigarettes will finally go to print in either this week’s or next week’s issue of Isthmus. I encourage you to pick up a copy to read it, and then of course feel free to write in with your own opinion/reaction. In the meantime, the Wall Street Journal just ran a fairly in-depth article that gives a refreshingly detailed overview of the controversy surrounding e-cigarettes. Read it here."

At least she apparently read the Wall Street journal article which should have enlightened her from another perspective.

Link please?
I can't seem to find the text at Isthmus.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Kristin, it should be interesting. She did say she was planning on meeting with Johnson Creek. We'll see what kind of journalist she is.
That's good, because they are very professional and knowledgeable.
They also claim to make their own juice.

And they are FDA Registered, and are very familiar with the FDA and what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread