Not open for further replies.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
I strongly oppose that terminology and do so on whatever forum or in whatever article I read because it plays into the hands of the FDA who are fighting tirelessly to convince the courts that electronic cigarettes are electronic nicotine delivery devices and should be classified as drugs and held to those standards. The term "ENDS" should not be encouraged to flourish in public discourse, especially now when public education and truthful information re:this technology is so vitally important.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I don't recall the FDA referring to e-cigarettes as ENDS.

Rather, this is a term that's been used by several different researchers (including Murray Laugesen as I recall, although one of his articles called them Electronic Nictoine Delivery Devices or ENDDS).

A decade ago Ken Warner coined the term PREPS (Potential Reduced Exposure Products) to describe any tobacco/nicotine product that is less hazardous than cigarettes (in an effort to cast doubt that smokefree products are less hazardous than cigarettes unless/until manufacturers and others spend lots of money proving the obvious). Warner originally proposed PERPS (Potential Exposure Reduction Products), but he replaced it with PREPS because PERPS refers to perpetrators of crime.

The term PREPS has been used by many tobacco product researchers used for the past decade.

With enactment of the FSPTCA, two new terms that are being used to describe smokefree tobacco/nicotine alternatives to cigarettes include Modified Risk Tobacco Products and Reduced Exposure Tobacco Products.

And since the FSPTCA requires companies to apply to the FDA, and for the FDA to approve, any Modified Risk or Reduced Exposure claims, it is now a federal crime for any smokefree tobacco product manufacturer or importer to truthfully state their product is less hazardous or exposes users to fewer contaminants than cigarettes.

Last edited:

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And since the FSPTCA requires companies to apply to the FDA, and for the FDA to approve, any Modified Risk or Reduced Exposure claims, it is now a federal crime for any smokefree tobacco product manufacturer or importer to truthfully state their product is less hazardous or exposes users to fewer contaminants than cigarettes.

This sentence says it all. When our own government is actively working to hide the truth about reduced harm products, it strengthens my resolve to continue advocating for my best interests. The FDA published misleading findings, and the Rosenthals of the world jump on the bandwagon, regardless of the truth.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Instead of ENDS, e-cig or PV, how about Nicotine Inhaler, after all we're inhaling nicotine.....
Totally screw with the FDA heads, we're inhaling unapproved nicotine!

A Pharmaceutical company already has the market on the Nicotine Inhaler, can only be had with a doctor's prescription.

I will continue to use my "Personal Recreational Nicotine Vaporizer", my newest name for them ... lol.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I knew that, but if we use the same name in reference, cause total confusion, and tweak the FDA (who approved the nicotine inhaler)

And if you don't want the perscription route there's always Canada:
Buy Nicorette Inhaler from Canada at Well.ca - Free Shipping

For the first 3 to 12 weeks of treatment, you should use at least 6 but no more than 12 cartridges per day.

Let's see, 42 cartridges for $46.15, plus shipping if you don't live in Canada. If you can get by on the 6 cartridges per day, that's "only" $7 a day! When these things first came out, the prices were even higher. And they wondered why people stuck with smoking...that's back when you could buy a pack of ciggies for less than $3. In fact, I was buying generics for $17 a carton. And that was several years after Nicotrol was on the market.

It just never occurred to the dorks that you need to make the treatment less expensive than smoking. They still don't get it.

Ooops. Just looked at the ad again. It appears that GlaxoSmithKline has decided to name every nicotine product they manufacture "Nicorette". To avoid confusion, no doubt.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
I find it odd and troublesome that the nic inhaler requires a script, while less efficient nrt's do not. I say they're less efficient b/c the inhaler at least substitutes one part of the smoking habit. It doesn't make any sense, unless BP knows this and sees the inhaler as less marketable in the long run. So, maybe they they won't ever bother applying for OTC status. Just another shenanigan to protect BP profits while hindering the quitting process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread