Epilepsy and Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello good folks of ECF, I'm having a bit of an issue finding out Epilepsy and vaping.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has any experience with at all?

As I'm finding some information that Propylene Glycol can aggravate Epilepsy and increase fits, so I just need to find out more information from the community.

As at worst I'm thinking that 100% VG liquids and flavourings would have to be used?

And thank you folks in advance, as this is an unusual question. But a very valid one.

Hopefully folks will be able to give some insight into this and help create a useful thread.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I have experience with both. I've been vaping for almost 7 years now, and have had I guess at least a 1/2 dozen seizures in that time. I've had seizures before I even started smoking, and when I switched to vaping it had no affect, good or bad, on that. The PG/VG ratio in my eliq is in the 75/25 - 80/20 range.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    The fact that there is so little about vaping and seizures is a good thing. It means that so far in the 15 or so years that vaping has been around, no one has seen a correlation between the two. Since there is no correlation between nicotine and seizures, then the likelihood of vaping and seizures having some relationship is pretty small.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    The neurologist I was seeing didn't seem to pay mind at all to the fact that I was vaping instead of smoking, but I bet he was getting some warm fuzzies in his belly because I wasn't smoking anymore..

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    The neurologist I was seeing didn't seem to pay mind at all to the fact that I was vaping instead of smoking, but I bet he was getting some warm fuzzies in his belly because I wasn't smoking anymore..
    Neurologists are cooler about such things than some other doctors, in my experience. Last one I saw a few years ago asked me if I smoked. He said to my affirmative answer, "The government wants me to tell you that smoking's bad for your health." I replied, "Thanks. I'd heard that." He chuckled, said it had nothing to do with why we were there, and got on with his job.
    My guess is that he wasn't getting kickbacks from his pharma rep for prescribing Chantix or similar.
    Unlike my former PCP, who brought up my smoking at least 5 times during any visit, regardless of why i was there.

I'm sure they hunted for the correlation of vaping to every disease known to mankind, so they discredit it more. Headlines like "Vaping associated with ingrown toenails"
    It seems laughable, but anyone else remember when the ANTZ tried to convince us that smoking causes ear hair? Hard to believe but it happened. That's one of their lies that didn't gain traction and was dropped quickly. So many of their other lies are accepted as truth that they push the envelope too far sometimes. Kind of hoping they do try to claim vaping causes ingrown toenails; it might make a few people think.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't know what the difference between Epilepsy and a Seizure Disorder it as I could never get a doctor to explain the difference to me, and I have had about 4 neurologists now.

I don't have Epilepsy (according to doctors), I have a Seizure Disorder (started a few years before vaping), but I am on medication to suppress my seizures and it seems to work despite vaping.

Never came across this PG vs. Seizures thing. News to me. But then I don't really look into it anymore as I've resigned to the fact that, if there is a cure for late-onset seizures, I'll never get that cure.

So I vape 50/50 and hell awaits me.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @UncleJunkle, found out that PG toxicity can cause seizures from a case I came across.

But it's something that I need to check up on.

As I've acquired a new partner after getting rid of a toxic Narcissist, and they have epilepsy and they have been having a fair amount of seizures recently and I've set them up with a decent setup.

So I don't know whether they have a sensitivity to PG or not?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @UncleJunkle, found out that PG toxicity can cause seizures from a case I came across.

But it's something that I need to check up on.

As I've acquired a new partner after getting rid of a toxic Narcissist, and they have epilepsy and they have been having a fair amount of seizures recently and I've set them up with a decent setup.

So I don't know whether they have a sensitivity to PG or not?

I don't know what type of seizures they are having, but some are life threatening (maybe even all?). You are better off seeking professional medical help.

In the mean time, since you at least somewhat believe that PG could possibly be what's causing the increase in seizures (and it could very well be, I would not know), then the most logical mode of action is to remove the PG completely and use 100% VG juice thinned with distilled water instead. Or even vodka or grain (I'm not the best person to ask as far as what to use to thin VG sans PG as I have never done it, but there is no shortage of threads about this in the DIY Eliquid section. I'm guessing that vodka/grain would be used instead of water in order to get some throat hit, but I don't know).

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @UncleJunkle, you and I both think similar on the issue really.

As it's best to possibly avoid to make sure that you're reducing any potential risk.

But now I need to find sweeteners and flavourings with VG, Alcohol or Distilled Water as their base.

Does anyone have any ideas on that then please? As that would be really useful.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @UncleJunkle, you and I both think similar on the issue really.

As it's best to possibly avoid to make sure that you're reducing any potential risk.

But now I need to find sweeteners and flavourings with VG, Alcohol or Distilled Water as their base.

Does anyone have any ideas on that then please? As that would be really useful.

This has now become a DIY question so you'll get more targetted eyes in the DIY section. But leave epilepsy out of it as questions with medical premises seem to turn many off.

Also, do some forum searching.

Of course, you already realize that your options will be much more limited. But that's the breaks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread