Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
[edit] Bah! Some of my images aren't showing up side by side like they did in the preview. You can go to the bottom of the page and switch your view to "ECF2 - Darkened" to get the view I intended. [/edit]

I'm the proud owner of two Erlkonigins. Serial numbers 0760 & 1254.

A while back I saw that G Vapers had a pre-order on the Erlkonigin Clone. I was curious and wanted to see the differences and just how close or far off the Clone was to the Authentic. So, I paid them $40 and got free shipping.

I wanted to include the ErlprinZ in this comparison as well but my emails to i2r went without response. I told them that I was going to do a comparison and would be glad to include their ErlprinZ if they would ship me one. :laugh:

Unfortunately, there was nothing to help me determine the manufacturer of the Clone. The Clone is on the right or bottom in all of these images.

Ok, so here we have packaging images...

erlk1.jpg
erlclone1.jpg

I was very pleased that the Cloners did not try to copy the packaging as well.

erlk2.jpg
erlclone2.jpg

Unfortunately, I use a point and shoot camera so the threads didn't show up very well. I will say that the Authentic's threads seem to be smoother but that the Clone's threads are not terrible. I've removed my AFCs and forgot to replace them for this comparison. The Clone's AFC is identical to the Authentic.

erlcomp1.jpg

Unlike the ErlprinZ, this Clone has the same base air slots as the Authentic.

erlcomp2.jpg

Pretty much identical in size.

erlcomp3.jpg

erlcomp4.jpg

The Clone comes without a serial number. That's a good thing imo. Another aspect where the Clone maker isn't trying to do a total rip off of the Authentic.

Also, unlike the ErlprinZ, the Clone here has the top cap that can be used to tighten the fill hole top piece. If you notice, the washers on the fill hole top cap of the Clone do not fit very well and are easy to loose as they don't fit tight like the Authentic.

erlcomp5.jpg

It might be hard to really see but I posted this image to show that the Clone has a thicker walled chimney. The bottom of the chimney shows the same characteristics.

erlcomp6.jpg

And finally, the tank. They both appear to be made of the same material although you can see that the fit and finish of the Authentic is much better than the Clone.

I have yet to put a build on the Clone to compare performance. Might try and get that done this coming weekend.

All parts from the Authentic fit the Clone. All parts from the Clone fit the Authentic except, for whatever reason, the chimney on the Clone would not screw onto the Authentic base.

If anyone would like additional images, just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quantum Mech

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, I just realized that I didn't give my opinion on the two attys. So here it is (build and performance beside the point, for now)...

If finances are of no concern, I highly recommend getting the Authentic. Personally, with the gear I have purchased, the Authentic is always better.

However, if it were me, and money was tight, I would purchase an ErlprinZ before a clone. Yeah, it's probably built similar to this Clone, but I would still have the manufacturer to back me up should anything go wrong. I paid 40 bux for this Clone. I could have purchased an ErlprinZ for similar cash. IMHO, buy the ErlprinZ, if only for the peace of mind. Not only that, but you are giving back to the modder and that will only help you and the community as they will re-invest (smart move) and innovate even more.

I hear ya out there XBarbarian. :)

Is there a big difference in the airflow hole coming out the deck or is it just the pic?

That is deceptive photography in a sense. That posi pole air hole has been used where as the one on the Clone has not. Now that I think about it, the blacker one (used ErlK) has the Open Draw Posi Pole Holder. So yes, it is bigger than the Clone.

Does the drip tip from the real one work with the clone?

Ahem!

All parts from the Authentic fit the Clone. All parts from the Clone fit the Authentic except, for whatever reason, the chimney on the Clone would not screw onto the Authentic base.

Hi. From the other thread I referred that I was told the chimney would pose a problem on the authentic base.

Indeed it does. For me and this Clone at least. Again...

The plastic tank does fit though?

Nice comparison. By looking at the pics, even the finish seems similar?

Regards
Tony

Yes, the plastic tank fits the Clone and vice versa. I would also assume that the metal tanks fit as well. I think I will be ordering a 22mm steel tank for this Clone to see if it fits. I've already swapped out the posi pole holder. Perhaps I will order the Open Draw Posi Pole Holder when I order the 22mm steel tank. Win! Win!

Actually, the finish is not similar. The Clone is shinier. As if it is not media treated in the same way or is an inferior SS. My guess is the latter. Perhaps this is a better image of the finishes...

erlcomp7.jpg

Mtek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2014
WA
I am new here, but posts/pics and details like this are amazing and I really appreciate it. Personally, I always feel a lot better about buying authentic products....I know some who feel better about the savings. Mind if I ask the difference in price between the two as I didn't see what the authentic piece cost (maybe I missed it)?

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
At vapor-hub.com, the authentic is retailing for $169.95. I imagine that price is comparable to other sites.

A note on the clones...at least the FastTech clones. They have three versions, two labeled "A" versions (the only difference appears to be packaging) and a "B" version. The "A" versions appear to be identical to the clone reviewed here, and the cheaper "B" version does have some differences. The air hole in the deck is significantly larger (apparently equivilant to the "open draw air pole" sold on the Erlkonigin website) and it comes with a stainless drip tip and a clone of the "cone" stainless drip tip adapter.

Edit: it is unknown at this time whether the "B" version's parts are interchangeable with the authentic and other clones. The drip tip and adapter should be, regardless of the rest of it. I also forgot to mention that the "B" version does come with fake serial numbers too.

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Jax, impressive comparative. Thank you for giving your time and not sounding like a cheap salesman :D

I agree on the Erlprinz. Its cheaper and has certainly better support. Take a clone and add an open positive post and you're out for more money than the Erlprinz that has a 2mm hole stock. Besides, I2R (the company that makers the Erls) can't just ship out a piece of crap (concerning the Erlprinz) because people wouldn't want to move over the ErlKönigin. On the other hand, it can't look exactly the same as the Erlkönigin or it would cut in the sales. The have to find an equilibrium.

If one is to believe what was announced, the materials and manufacturing of the Erlprinz was outsourced but still in the EU so that cancels out china and other far east countries. Material quality and manufacturing is usually higher around here and at least we can be sure not to get some funky SS with lead leaching out.

The Erlprinz might be the "lower end" but its still part of the "family" whereas the clone is... well, just a clone.

My two euro cents

Regards
Tony

Gabiano87

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
london uk
Nice comparison Jax. I really like giving people honest information about products. Lets face it, our Erlk is such a good atty but is simply out of the price range for so many people. At least they have the elprinz out now. Anyway please post back any other info you find out about the the elprinz and the clone. See you in the erlk thread. :)

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Are the center posts interchangeable? I have the same clone and would like the open center post.

Are you asking if the center posts are interchangeable between the "A" and "B" version clones? Or are you asking the OP if the clone and authentic center posts can be swapped?

Edit: To add to the discussion at hand, clone sales should increase sales of the authentic accessories, like glass and steel tanks, drip tips and adapters...at least until the cloners start making those as well.

If I like the clones, I will be purchasing at least 1 SS 22mm steel tank, and possibly two.

Last edited:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Mind if I ask the difference in price between the two as I didn't see what the authentic piece cost (maybe I missed it)?

I paid right around $160 for the Authentic and $40 for the Clone.

Are the center posts interchangeable? I have the same clone and would like the open center post.

Yes, the Authentic's Posi Pole Holder does fit the Clone. I swapped it out yesterday and it is a perfect fit.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...Take a clone and add an open positive post and you're out for more money than the Erlprinz that has a 2mm hole stock...
I guess that depends on which clone you get.
1893601-1.jpg

This one is under $16, and from the picture, appears to have a 2mm air flow hole. Here's the link.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1893601

Edit: For comparison, here's a picture of the other clone (type A), and the air hole is significantly smaller.
1893602-2.jpg

Can't really tell by the pictures, but I think it's safe to assume that the threads and finish on the authentic will be better. For me personally, I don't think it is enough better to justify a $150 markup over the clone's price. Especially since people that own both originals and clones say the vape is identical.

I'm a fan of peaceful co-existance. I bought authentic GPin springs to use in my Heron clones. I will probably send my ZNA clone in to Zen to have an authentic Evolv chip installed, and I will probably buy a steel tank for this atty. I realize my actions are in the minority, as most people choose clone or authentic as though they are joining political parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quantum Mech

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well I got the erlprinz... 39€ (you guys get an extra 21% discount because of VAT), manufacturer support, two year warranty on manufacturer defects and I have a authentic product even if it's the poorer son of the erlkoenigin... It's still family.

I can understand going to clones with a $150 difference (I got a kayfun clone because I didn't want to shell out $100) but a $10 difference or less between something authentic and something copied, I can't justify it reasonably.... However, if one thinks that an original pt3 mini from kanger goes for $9 and there are a bunch of people buying the clones for $6 or $7, I believe anything.

My two euro cents

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I would wait for it to be in Stock in the US. Austria has high shipping costs. Even the Germans are waiting for it to become available at itaste. de because shipping is much more lower.

Try to find out how much shipping to the US from itaste is... Maybe it's worth it?

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I'm a fan of peaceful co-existance. I bought authentic GPin springs to use in my Heron clones. I will probably send my ZNA clone in to Zen to have an authentic Evolv chip installed
Any competent electronics techie could do the replacement, so I am curious, why Zen? (I know he designed the original, but other than that I'm not sure about the connection. Did he make some sort of statement about it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread