eVic build quality disappointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
Hi guys,

I've been very happy with my eVic for many months, but now I'm starting to doubt its build quality. I mean, it's an expensive device so you expect some quality, right?

Quite quickly after getting it, the USB connector cover started to degrade. It's still attached but I'm not sure how long it will last. But lately, things have just been stacking up... The chrome colour of the button started to come off, scratches on the body are becoming hideous (though that is kind of to be expected if you take the thing everywhere - but still), the LCD is showing "burn-in" symptoms (I switched it to reverse colour now to reverse the burn-in effect). But the worst of it... A few days ago it dropped from the couch on the tile floor and the head simply came apart in two pieces. The top metal part just separated from the plastic centre of the control head. Both parts were still only attached by the two wires that run from the control board to the 510-connector... I pushed it back in place but now it sometimes comes out of my pocket crooked and I have to push it back. It probably won't last much longer this way, I'm afraid. But what's the deal with this, simply push a metal piece onto a plastic piece and expect it all to hold together?

I've also had similar issues with a joyetech eGo battery, where the top part started to come loose from the body because it was basically simply pushed in and not properly screwed or soldered or anything... Most people are so lyrical about joyetech products - and yes, they produce good vapes, but I'm definitely starting to doubt the build quality.

Soooo.... I ordered myself a Vamo V3. All metal is definitely going to provide better build quality than metal and plastic mixed together, right? And it's half the price of an eVic so even if it provides similar build quality, it's still the better choice price/quality-wise. Can't wait for it to drop into the mailbox tomorrow.

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
The Vamo V3 arrived today. First impression is very good. It's easier to use than the eVic (also because many of the advanced features of the eVic - that you never really use anyway - are not there). It has a nice sharp OLED-screen, nice clicky buttons, a lot easier to switch off than the eVic (just 5x click instead of 5x click wait wait wait wait click again). It's a bit slimmer and a bit longer than the eVic, has a nice grip to it.

Luckily I decided to also order two new 18650 batteries with the Vamo, because the eVic's 18650 doesn't work in it! The positive pole of the eVic's battery is slightly receded in the battery, causing it to make no contact in the Vamo...

All in all, I think the Vamo is actually a better buy than the eVic. Sure, the eVic has more features, and it has a cool "geek factor" because you can read out and flash the firmware - but what use is that really? The Vamo is more straightforward - and a lot cheaper. Plus, the all metal design is probably a lot more durable.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
If you continue to use the eVic, I can tell you exactly what's going to happen, because it happened to me 9 times on 3 different eVic's. The V1, which is what you have, will either get knocked over hard or dropped the head will pop off, but one of these next times, the lead wires are going to break, usually just one of the wires. You will find out that this is not covered by Warranty, that the vendors will not repair them, that a $50 replacement will be about the same cost as paying for an electronics shop to fix it, so you will either replace the head or learn to solder. I learned to solder. I did eventually buy the eVic V2 with the two head screws, and it hasn't happened since, but I rarely, if ever, use the evic any longer. The build quality of the eVic is just terrible, imho. While the eVic has some very compelling features, including the USB/computer interface and the best display out there, what good does that do you if it's cheaply made. Plastic and aluminum? Not nearly as durable as say stainless steel, for example.

I did replace my eVic's with Kir Fanis stainless telescoping tubes, which not only makes it super durable, but super flexible and good looking to boot. However, the bloom is off the rose. I gave my Kir Fanis eVic V2 to the missus to use, and she likes it. However, she will be replacing "her" eVic this week with a Titanium White Mini Provari with Blue LED. You can match, though cannot exceed the build quality on the Provari. If you have to have variable wattage, and I do occasionally require this, I opted for the Semovar with Nivel Chip.

On a smaller budget, the top 5 APV's under $100 are the iTaste 3.0 (stick form factor), the MVP V2 (box form factor), the telescoping iTaste SVD, the Sigelei V3 (Stainless telescoping and my recommendation), and the Vamo V3 (stainless - best entry level valued device), imho. YMMV. Good luck to you and welcome to the Forum. My :2c:.

robo74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Harvard, IL
I like the evic from a tech view, lots of geeky possibilities.
However, I think you have to be ginger with this thing, I used it every day for a few weeks and I was afraid I was going to break it.
Part of me regrets the purchase, the other part does not.
I am on still on the fence, dont think I can return it, so it may be in the classifieds soon.. lol

Rob

sqcivic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2013
los angeles
If build quality is your primary concern, get the SVD. The vamo has complaints about the 510 threading and the finish flaking off.
I saw in a thread the other day that someone dropped their SVD on a brick patio and chipped a brick.
The one from fasttech is genuine and only $37
X2 ON THE ITaste SVD ...its built like a tank

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
touch wood, I have had zero issues with my eVic ... but then again, I have never broken a cell phone either... I treat both devices with similar care.

Sorry to hear you have had problems ... maybe a Provari would serve your needs better.

I was told a Provari is just like an iPhone. Except the Provari works, is durable, and functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread