Evolv-ing Thread

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

I picked up an IQOS on a trip to Europe last September. I think it has a lot of potential for people who have not been successful with vaping. I got the yellow (light) heats. To me they taste much like I remember a Marlboro Light tasting on those occasions when I bummed one. This is not exactly a benefit to me since I never much cared for the taste of any Marlboro, but I can see how it would be excellent for some.

There is indeed a bit of "cigarette smell" from using one, but it's at least a whole order of magnitude less than a real cigarette, to the point that neither my wife or my kids (all non-smokers) have ever noticed when I've used one.

The guy in the video made a common n00b mistake in pulling the heet stick out by the filter. When done correctly, by pulling the top of the device up, it comes out cleanly, without all the bits of tobacco he showed there.

Using one produces a "head" that's quite different than vaping straight nicotine (or even WTA). I suppose that's due to other psychoactive compounds present in tobacco that are missing from our vapes. It's relaxing/calming in a way that straight nicotine simply isn't, and for me that effect lasts quite a while. I'll have one every once in a while, when I'm in the mood. In the 3-1/2 months that I've had it, I've gone through a whopping 18 sticks.

They do not irritate my windpipe like I'm confident a real cigarette would, so I'm not sure where he's coming from with the remark that his chest felt like he'd just smoked a real one.

My sense: If we accept that vaping at least 95% less harmful than smoking, IQOS is likely at least 80% less harmful than actual smoke.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
You could tell from the video, He's a complete newb on the heat sticks. He didn't do it any favours or justice as far as an insightful & fair representation!
If indeed it is 80% safer than smoking & still use's tobacco, it could catch on?

There are way too many people who are still smoking & vaping just isn't the rite fit for them :) Maybe this can be? It looks easy enough & 80% is a substantial bit safer than Smoking :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
As smoking alternatives completely decimate the tobacco industry, as it will! They (BT) have to be there to pick up the pieces! And they will be! I predict with in 5 years, All smoking alternatives & BT will be one giant entity :(
I suspect you're over-estimating how quickly smoking will decline. I think the number of people switching from smoking to vaping is already past peak in the US (and likely Canada too). I mean more than 10 years since vaping appeared, what smoker hasn't tried vaping at some point? I do think there will be a second wave when HnB products hit the market here, but I doubt it will be as big as the vaping wave was. I would look to Canada as a guide to that. Culturally, we're very similar (well except for Quebec -- LOL) and IQOS has been available there for a while now. I'm not sure how well it has caught on though?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
74ff803a47979d431362220fd1cc7448.jpg

Keep up the good work "G", you're finding all of my favorite classic coffee pics!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If indeed it is 80% safer than smoking & still use's tobacco, it could catch on?
The 80% number is my personal guesstimate. Let's put it this way: I feel zero ill effects from having one, which was definitely not the case with the one cigarette I had some months after I switched to vaping.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And is IQOS even legal in the US yet? :)
Not legal to sell here yet, no. The FDA has been dragging its feet on the MRTP and PMTAs. My guess is the former won't be approved, but the latter most likely will.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I really should unsubscribe to a certain thread pertaining to a certain powered by u no woo board, what annoys me is the fact that I feel I must keep my mouth shut about my feeling towards said product. I guess I feel slightly better now.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Apparently, IQOS like other HnB works by not burning, but charring (incomplete combustion) of the tobacco (higher than 284°F/140°C). And some argues what comes out of them is still cigarette smoke. Well I don't know. But I do know what a charred pizza looks like (it was left [baked] in the oven for about 4 hours) and not burnt. And it too produced lots of smoke.

Verkohlte_Pizza_2013-04-01-2663_sm.jpg

IQOS (I Quit Ordinary Smoking) heats up tobacco up to a maximum of 350°C/662°F to char it. Cigarettes burn at temperatures of 470°C–812°C (878°F–1493°F). While pipe tobacco burns lower between 380°C–620°C (716°F–1148°F). Interesting that pipe tobacco has this "strong dry distillation took place, and the corresponding fractions from the evaporating substances escaped into the smoke without being pyrolyzed." That is a lot like HnB does it. Although pipe tobacco does have some burning too. While cigarette tobacco just burns period.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I brought my SMY DNA75 to work with me tonight where I learned it's time to replace it's LG HD2, still works but big voltage drop @ 45 watts. I put in a Samsung 20S from my Vapecige box to compare...........WOW here too.

Users who are viewing this thread