Evolv-ing Thread

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
What? That isn't what I was promised! This is what I was supposed to get.

2019-12-30_145132.jpg

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
You did it! You guys with all that talk about double clicks happening with mice did it! You jinxed me! My M570 isn't double clicking, it's not holding a left click all the time for drag and drop operations. Just another thing going wrong this week, jeesh!

First thing that went wrong was I installed a remote start in my truck. It uses the factory key fob rather than a separate remote of its' own. I double quadruple checked every wire before and after making each connection to make sure it was correct. Powered it up and tried programming, key one, then key two, and it wouldn't go into programming mode. The remote start actually gets added as another key in this case. No matter what I did, nada, nothing, zilch, zip. This was on Monday when it was warm and sunny here. Gave it up, emailed the support folks and got an answer with things to try. The thing that solved it was in that email, the remote is added as a key was the key fact.

I was up at 3:30AM Tuesday morning for a pit stop, and it dawned on me then. I have three keys, two full function remote keys and a non remote key as a backup. That non remote key is also included in the truck computer or it wouldn't work! DUHHHH. I didn't get to work on it until late in the afternoon and this time I used the third key in the programming sequence. Worked like a charm.

Tuesday, my "task master", the FitBit Ionic watch, crapped out. It wouldn't connect to the PC even though the BlueTooth on the PC showed it as connected. Disconnected it from the PC, reconnected it to the PC, uninstalled the program, disconnected it, reinstalled the program, reconnected it to the PC and still nothing, not recognized by the software. Called their tech support and got no help, I had already done all the trouble shooting. They did offer me a discount on a replacement but after a little research I found multiple complaints of the same problem. Seems FitBit uses a crappy WiFi chip. So I ordered a Garmin Instinct.

Wednesday the Instinct came. It is a MAJOR change from the FitBit. It is not a touch screen device and navigation was designed by George Obtuse and Harry Obscure. I almost threw the thing through the wall in frustration with navigating menus and functions. It also won't connect to a PC through BlueTooth and has to be plugged in using USB on a cable a whole three feet long, which is a real PITA. You'd think for the price of the watch a six foot cable wouldn't be a big deal. Then, once it's plugged in the software is nothing more than a way to bring up a web browser to get to your data. On top of all that it doesn't track calories/food which the Ionic did. It needs a third party app to do that, so more crap on the phone since there's no Windoohs version that will work with the watch. Oh yeah, charging is done with that three foot cable and it has a proprietary four pin connector on the watch end. It does lock into the watch well, but there is no dust/moisture cover on the port. Can we all say designed to fail?

I have gotten used to the button driven menu, at least for the most part. The calorie/food app works fine and links well with the watch app. The watch is tracking most things quite well except for flights of stairs climbed. Yesterday it had me climbing three flights and going down one flight. Problem is our house is a ranch and I hadn't been in the basement at all at that point. I did calibrate the altimeter and barometer so maybe that will improve it's accuracy. Battery life is outstanding. I charged it Wednesday afternoon and it's still showing a full charge. My wife has to charge her latest gen Apple watch almost daily. I'm not entirely happy with it, but after looking at the alternatives, it's probably the best I'll be able to do.

Thursday the mouse started it's crap. Let's see what else can go wrong today.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
My Garmin Vivoactive 3 doesn't track stairs well either. There are 3 flights here in the building with landings and it seems to have a problem when there is a landing involved. Sometimes it will show I climbed 5 and went down 2, other days I've climbed 1 and went down 3... :glare: Lot's of complaints on the Garmin forums about it, the barometric sensor on mine is the pinhole under the solitary button. You have to go outside and activate the GPS to get it somewhat stabilized and set the altitude.

The major annoyance I have with the watch is the firmware, every few days something corrupts and it will switch back to a default Garmin watch face. In order to put your custom, paid for watch face back, it requires a power off and reboot cycle, only then will it allow you to select your custom face again. Just another bug that has been brought up numerous times in the Garmin forums, it's been a problem across multiple iterations of the firmware. Apparently it's the scroll sensor on the side of the touch screen Garmin's that's causing it. All they would have to do is implement a check box to disable the scroll sensor in the dashboard, but convincing them to do this is another story. :lol:

Your Instinct shouldn't have that issue though since it's a button watch.

But... you can pair the Instinct with their tactical bow sight. :D
a1i-laser-7ef858ce-abd5-4d08-a653-3f997d206339.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You did it! You guys with all that talk about double clicks happening with mice did it! You jinxed me! My M570 isn't double clicking, it's not holding a left click all the time for drag and drop operations. Just another thing going wrong this week, jeesh!

Had no intentions to jinx you. But you have yourself a double click problem! It is referred to as a double click (I did not make up the term), but the true issue is the degradation of a spring(s) within the switch.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I am sure this is just a coincidence awsum140, but some would blame it on Mercury retrograde. It happens three times this year (source: Farmer's Almanac).
  • February 17 to March 10
  • June 18 to July 12
  • October 14 to November 3
So just in case, hold on tight until March 10 and everything will return back to normal they say.

Mercury Retrograde Dates for 2020

Sorry to hear about your M570 mouse. I'm sure it is just a coincidence too. But some say they use cheap switches that are prone to fail. As manufactures know 99% of the time, the user will just go out and buy another one. But for a very few, that isn't good enough and they replace those faulty switches with something like what those that Evolv uses for their fire buttons. Then they will keep on working even through Mercury retrogrades. ;)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I made a mental note to myself dwcraig1, that the next time I order some flavoring, to get some peanut butter. The funny thing about those mental notes is that they fall under that umbrella called fuzzy logic. But this time it worked and it should be here later tomorrow. Tonight I guess I'll be busy converting my kitchen into my mad scientist lab. Gee... what did I do with that white labcoat? :lol:

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Be very careful with peanut butter flavoring. A little bit goes a long, long, way. I have a variation of one of my flavors that I use it in at 1.25% just to add a different flavor note. More than that and it's overpowering. Start at 1% and work up from there is your best bet.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I love Peanut butter! Have yet to make a Peanut Butter juice I like :(
I'v tried many different recipes & can never get one that just clicks.
I use TFA Peanut butter flavour & it has many good reviews, just don't work for Me :(
The closest I have ever come to making a good peanut butter juice was using Inawera Peanut, not peanut butter. It was still just average :(

If some one has a good recipe that doesn't use TPA peanut butter flavouring, I'm willing to try :)

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I made a mental note to myself dwcraig1, that the next time I order some flavoring, to get some peanut butter. The funny thing about those mental notes is that they fall under that umbrella called fuzzy logic. But this time it worked and it should be here later tomorrow. Tonight I guess I'll be busy converting my kitchen into my mad scientist lab. Gee... what did I do with that white labcoat? :lol:
I find sending myself an email reminds me best. I shall put the recipe for my Peanut Brittle here. RY4 double is most important in the mix.
7% TPA Peanut Butter
7% TPA RY4 Double
3% TPA Cotton Candy (for sweetener)
1.5% TPA Acetyl Pyrazine (corn chip like)
Use less or none on the Cotton Candy as desired.
A reasonably good single flavored juice can be made with just RY4 Double.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Be very careful with peanut butter flavoring. A little bit goes a long, long, way. I have a variation of one of my flavors that I use it in at 1.25% just to add a different flavor note. More than that and it's overpowering. Start at 1% and work up from there is your best bet.
What brand of Peanut Butter flavoring?

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I find sending myself an email reminds me best. I shall put the recipe for my Peanut Brittle here. RY4 double is most important in the mix.
7% TPA Peanut Butter
7% TPA RY4 Double

Thanks for posting the recipe :) How it is on you Cotton/Coil?
I don't have any recipes over 10% total flavouring!

If you like the R4Y? Try this :) (Tribeca Clone)

R4Y double 6%
Graham Cracker 2%
Acetyl Pyrazine 1%
Ethyl Maltol 1.5%

Does any one else use a Good Peanut butter flavouring that isn't TPA?

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for posting the recipe :) How it is on you Cotton/Coil?
I don't have any recipes over 10% total flavouring!

If you like the R4Y? Try this :) (Tribeca Clone)

R4Y double 6%
Graham Cracker 2%
Acetyl Pyrazine 1%
Ethyl Maltol 1.5%

Does any one else use a Good Peanut butter flavouring that isn't TPA?
The Cotton Candy is primarily Ethyl Maltol, I use to use TPA Sweetner but that is Sorbitol and that gunks up pretty fast.
CC gunks much less.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
7% TPA Peanut Butter
7% TPA RY4 Double
:facepalm:

Mental note: Need to order some RY4 Double, Cotton Candy, and Acetyl Pyrazine.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
:facepalm:

Mental note: Need to order some RY4 Double, Cotton Candy, and Acetyl Pyrazine.
I would be happy to send you a 120 ml bottle of the finished product made to your VG/PG/Nic specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread