N. California Bay Area
upload_2022-6-19_5-46-19.jpeg

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
While looking through my DIY inventory for a liter of VG I discovered a liter of 10% nic VG that didn't make it to the freezer until now. It's been out for about a year, nice amber color (LOL). I'll use it.
Edit: nope, 19 months old.
So how did this get by me for so long? It was from LWN in one of those white non see through zip lock bags. Still my error.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Ok, I'm going to ask here because this is were all the techies seem to hang out. So whether using Google maps, Apple maps or Waze after putting in my destination and starting the trip I get an estimated travel time or arrival time depending on the app.

But, I'm mostly driving at 10mph over the limit or more on the highways. So how to this apps figure out my travel time. I alway thought the went by the posted speed limits of the route they map out.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
But, I'm mostly driving at 10mph over the limit or more on the highways. So how to this apps figure out my travel time. I alway thought the went by the posted speed limits of the route they map out.

BigTech companies knows how fast you drive, what you eat, what you shop for, when you go to sleep, and everything else about you. It's sad but true. :(

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    ... so how to this apps figure out my travel time.
    You're not the only vehicle on the road using the app. It's crowdsourcing live from all the vehicles using that app, yours included. That's why mid drive, if there's a new accident you'll get an update asking if you want to change your route. Along with all that, it keeps track of your speed and location and will update your ETA while along the mapped route. Waze is also a google product ;)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    BigTech companies knows how fast you drive, what you eat, what you shop for, when you go to sleep, and everything else about you. It's sad but true. :(

Yepper ... I just opted out of a medical company that 'gives' you equipment to monitor your health and send the stats daily to your doctor. My doctor recommended to them to set me up. After reading the Privacy Policy I immediately opted out after talking with my Dr's office and finding out it's not mandatory to participate.

The Dr's office didn't even know ...

The company not only collects the 'health info' they go looking for you at social sites to create a profile of 'you'. What the heck! What does my Linked-in acc't have anything to do with my health records. That's just one of the sites they mentioned collecting info from.

The support person at that company had no idea her company was collecting that type of info. She totally understood why I opted out and wanted my records removed from their data base. She said she wouldn't want that to happen to her either.

I only received the equipment and didn't even start using it. I read their policy and said ... nope I'm out on this one.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I noticed that Best Buy has the Asus E210 11.6" Laptop - Intel Celeron N4020 - 4GB Memory - 64GB eMMC - Win11-S for $129.99. It also sports an unused NVMe PCIe port for even faster access. I'm always looking for a basic small machine that can handle simple browsing, email, and media player tasks without crawling. Android and Apple just doesn't cut it for me. And even if a device has a touch screen like this HP machine I'm typing on now, I still prefer to just use the keyboard and mouse instead.

That fixed amount of 4GB of RAM is very bothersome since I never found a 4GB Win10/11 machine that I liked yet. But unless what about running in S-mode? I dunno? About the only thing you can find is how to turn off S-mode and how to get to the real Windows. Seems like nobody likes S-mode. They say you're stuck with the Edge browser and only Windows Apps. But they don't mention anything else.

Well I gambled and had taken a chance. And they lied when they said you're stuck with Edge, because I'm running it with the Firefox App without problems. Also installed OpenOffice, and VLC Apps too. Count me impressed! Not only do they look and feel just like the Desktop versions, but they also fly under 4GB of RAM too. And Windows S-Mode even boots 8 times faster than Windows does. You still have access to many Windows builtin applications like Notepad, Explorer, Device Manager, Task Manager, etc. It even looks just like the Windows Desktop too.

Amazon has the same model, but sports a SD card slot too. Which I could see me using. Although not for the extra 50 bucks.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...020-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-star-black/6498805.p

Well shortly after that posting, I realized that I didn't get Windows 11 S-Mode, but rather full blown Windows 11 Home instead. Apparently this opened box was switched to full Windows prior to me owning it. Reinstalling Windows only gives you full blown Windows again. Looked on the net and they say you're screwed if it was switched out of S-Mode more than 10 days ago.

The good news is mikepetro's recommendation of WUB (Windows Update Blocker) works just fine under Windows 11. :D Because with a 64GB SSD, it will probably fill up within about 6 months worth of updates and then you will be left with a machine that can't be booted.

99% of the time I refuse to call customer service for anything because 99% of the time you are communicating with someone who knows less about a product than your own grandmother. And then you are going to spend hours and just end up where you started from or worse. But I reasoned that 1% of the time they are helpful, so I gave them a shot.

I explained the problem and he had me to go through 10 steps. Yeah now what? We are in safe mode (Windows 11 requires 10 steps to get into safe mode? Unbelievable!). He said you are in S-Mode. Unbelievable! He doesn't know the difference between safe mode and S-Mode. I guess you should always go with your gut instinct and just don't bother with these people. I don't know who are dumber, the bots or the customer support people themselves.

These Asus E210 are very impressive for $130 (or $113 for an open box). And those Celeron N4000 series processors never disappoint. There are far worse processors that never should have been used in PCs in the first place. And only having 4GB of fixed RAM, it is very impressive. So many other 4GB machines doesn't even come close to this level of performance.

Another thing the Asus utility includes is you can set the battery charge rate to 60, 80, or 100% charged. All lithium powered devices should allow this. As nothing is worse for a battery to sit at 100% while it is mainly used on AC.

Every newer Windows versions was always less impressive than the last. Windows 11 is no different. That Start Menu looks like something that is meant for a phone and not for a desktop (now it is a tiny non-sizable little thing). Clock and notifications are now the same thing. And the speaker, WiFi, and battery icons in the tray all pop up the same menu. Windows 11 is designed more for a tablet than it is for a desktop (they also killed off tablet mode btw). They also moved everything around again. So you spend more time searching than working. It's so sad! :(

UPDATE: New ones at Best Buy are now $109.99.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Odd, if you compare the $109 one to the $191 one, the compare screen says the $109 has a pentium chip and nothing about the graphic GPU yet the 'ad' description says it's a Celeron N4020

Listing page
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...rue&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Comparison Page
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=6498805,6476905

Yeah, it is hard when one calls the processor as a Pentium and the other as a Celeron. When both are using the same processor model N4020. The $191 one lists its using an Intel UHD Graphics 630 (screen 1600x768). While the $109 one is using an Intel UHD Graphics 600 (screen 1360x768). But that's the only differences besides the $191 is a 2021 model and the $109 is an 2022 model.

Users who are viewing this thread