Evolv-ing Thread

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I get what your saying, I am real happy with Lipo batteries too :) Most of Us following these threads have many mods and don't care about charging via usb, the advantages of lipo's out way the hassle of plugging in your mod for a few hours.
I'm just thinking of a good reason to want a new 75 watt dna. For me a small stealthy mod with an easily changeable battery seems like a good reason :)
IMO this would also make it way more appealing to a mass market, who may only own 1 or 2 mods :)
If I'm going to buy a new 75 watt board, build a mod & put a lipo in it. does it make sense not to just buy a DNA200?

No, not to me anyway, but this crowd is probably not the intended market.

Reactions: Steamer861

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oh, and Good Morning

282472fcdb1a9631410222dea08062ce.jpg

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
OK, I have a question that popped up in another thread that I thought I had an answer for but am tapping the expertise here to make sure I'm right.

Has anyone heard of, or know of a reason why, a lithium battery, probably a LiPO, would swell significantly when not in use? My understanding of batteries, kind of basic, is that swelling is caused by heat which is a byproduct of heavy current from charging or discharging. When the battery is quiescent there should not be any significant chemical activity that would cause swelling unless there's something wrong with the mod in question or the battery itself.

Am I right or am I missing something special to lithium batteries?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
OK, I have a question that popped up in another thread that I thought I had an answer for but am tapping the expertise here to make sure I'm right.

Has anyone heard of, or know of a reason why, a lithium battery, probably a LiPO, would swell significantly when not in use? My understanding of batteries, kind of basic, is that swelling is caused by heat which is a byproduct of heavy current from charging or discharging. When the battery is quiescent there should not be any significant chemical activity that would cause swelling unless there's something wrong with the mod in question or the battery itself.

Am I right or am I missing something special to lithium batteries?
Overcharging, over discharging, or shorting, can break down the chemistry in a battery causing it to swell over time, and not necessarily instantly. While this is not the only cause of swelling, it is a distinct possibility.

Old age can cause swelling. Many lipos swell naturally with age.

Heat is another biggie.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
So you are saying that LiPOs swell with age. Any idea what causes that, Mike? I've never heard that before and assumed, and we know what that does, that the swelling was strictly a byproduct of heat from regular use. Even at a 1 amp rate we're looking at a nominal four watts of power to a cell, which, over time could easily produce some slight swelling.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
IDK why Hcigar went with a 26650? Anyone in the know,knows there not much better than an 18650!
I would rather see the VT75 have an 18650 :) If you run a single coil atty an 18650 can last half the day, so you carry a spare battery, no big deal. I hope some one makes a nice small 3D printed DNA 75 watt enclosure :)
View attachment 546095 View attachment 546097 View attachment 546098
I'm not good enough with the Cad programs but I'd like to see the Aspire Plato design modified for a DNA75 up-sized to fit an aromamizer inside the mod in place of that abortion of a tank that Aspire used. About same height 26-28mm thickness, about the width of a Nebox, elongated tank, chimney & glass to protrude from top of mod, base of tank modified so it would screw in like a Nebox atty base, picking up the atty + on a second set of threads embedded in the base. Probably be easier to mount a 22mm 510 inside and just have the aromamizer in a drop well extending out the top.
Played around with this concept last night. Nebox is 57.21mm wide. This comes in at 63.35mm right now w/ a 25.5mm atty recess.
upload_2016-4-11_10-25-17.png

Pretty sure there can be ways to tighten it up a bit. shooting for 60mm. Used BRDs DNA200 bezel mount. Best I can do for now w/o more solid measurements.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
So you are saying that LiPOs swell with age. Any idea what causes that, Mike? I've never heard that before and assumed, and we know what that does, that the swelling was strictly a byproduct of heat from regular use. Even at a 1 amp rate we're looking at a nominal four watts of power to a cell, which, over time could easily produce some slight swelling.
Check out this page, at least the "Proper Care & Treatment: Discharging (Using the Battery)" section.
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries - Roger's Hobby Center - Radio Control (R/C or RC) Cars, Boats, Airplanes, Puzzles, Plastic Models, & Trains - Saginaw, MI

Essentially the internal resistance will increase with age.

keep track of the internal resistance reading each time you charge your battery, and chart the increase over time. You will see how just the process of using the LiPo battery begins to wear it out.

Heat causes the excess oxygen to build up more and more. Eventually the LiPo pack begins to swell (due to the oxygen gas build up). This is a good time to stop using the battery - its trying to tell you that it has come (prematurely or not) to the end of its life. Further use can, and probably will, be dangerous. After the pack has swollen, continued use can cause even more heat to be generated. At this point, a process called Thermal Runaway occurs.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Storing your lipos fully charged is another no-no that will lead to swelling...

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Cool concept but it wont let me place an order.
You need to create a trade account to see the price $10 ss, $11 black and order, no min qty, shipping extra and these are still pre order, I got my rolo from these people. I imagine that other far east vendors will have them at some point.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for that link, Mike. Now I understand where the swelling comes from, both regular use swelling and over heat swelling. Internal resistance changes are the death knell of every battery.

Tpat, I'll check the height of my brass low tank later today or tomorrow. I know it's taller than 60mm, but I have big hands and am looking for some higher battery capacity. Actually, what you have there looks pretty close to what I have although I'm still "fine tuning" as it goes together.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Thanks for that link, Mike. Now I understand where the swelling comes from, both regular use swelling and over heat swelling. Internal resistance changes are the death knell of every battery.

Tpat, I'll check the height of my brass low tank later today or tomorrow. I know it's taller than 60mm, but I have big hands and am looking for some higher battery capacity. Actually, what you have there looks pretty close to what I have although I'm still "fine tuning" as it goes together.
Of course it is. Board is taller than that. This is at 87.9hx63.5w now. Shortening mounting posts & buttons on bezel & seeing if I can squeeze a few more mm out of the width.

Reactions: mikepetro

Users who are viewing this thread