Evolv-ing Thread

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Got my Supremes in.

The deck is easy to work and allows for a much larger coil. I use a #35 drill on my regular mizer, was able to use a #25 on this one.

A 6/7 wrap of 24awg TI around a #25 drill bit. Dual coils ohmed out 0.14 ohms. Never used 24 awg before, it is much easier to work with than my standard 26awg.

So far I like it a lot. The airflow ring is fantastic. Not sure about flavor yet, I am still breaking a new wick.

The one downside I see is that you cant put the atty on the mod and actually see the coils, as you fire, to work out hot spots. At least not without making a mess. I am sure I will get used to it though.

Looks good sitting on the ERM+

DSCN1282_zpsmp7xtkry.jpg

DSCN1284_zpsxq0r43ip.jpg

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Got my Supremes in.

The deck is easy to work and allows for a much larger coil. I use a #35 drill on my regular mizer, was able to use a #25 on this one.

A 6/7 wrap of 24awg TI around a #25 drill bit. Dual coils ohmed out 0.14 ohms. Never used 24 awg before, it is much easier to work with than my standard 26awg.

So far I like it a lot. The airflow ring is fantastic. Not sure about flavor yet, I am still breaking a new wick.

The one downside I see is that you cant put the atty on the mod and actually see the coils, as you fire, to work out hot spots. At least not without making a mess. I am sure I will get used to it though.

Looks good sitting on the ERM+

DSCN1282_zpsmp7xtkry.jpg

DSCN1284_zpsxq0r43ip.jpg

That does look good on there, I like the way the drip tip is on the Supreme way better :) Why can't you just put the base on the ERM+ and fire it with out the tank?
Did you only get SS? I got 2 one of each SS & Black. I really can't wait now, mine are still lost in the annals of Canada post :( I would be totally surprised if I even get mine before Friday :(

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Only got SS.

Because once you fill the tank and put the base together, now if you take the velocity piece back out, the bottom of it is saturated with ejuice.

The juice channels down the outside of the velocity deck, the blue area gets saturated. Now if you take the velocity deck back out the bottom is dripping wet, so you really dont want to screw it on the mod like that.
upload_2016-4-11_19-3-29.png

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Setting it aside for now. I have a hot spot I just cant seem to find. May have to start from scratch and rebuild it. Next time I will work out the hot spots BEFORE putting it in the tank, just by dripping on the coils. I.e. while the bottom of the deck is still dry.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Setting it aside for now. I have a hot spot I just cant seem to find. May have to start from scratch and rebuild it. Next time I will work out the hot spots BEFORE putting it in the tank, just by dripping on the coils. I.e. while the bottom of the deck is still dry.
Try raking a screw driver or tweezer over the coils. That usually works for my coils.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Does TI build an oxidation (or whatever it is) layer like kanthal does after a few burns? I.e. an electrical insulation layer?
I never noticed any oxidation, I do spaced coils and never glow them red.
I dry fire at 450 degrees at first & when cleaning, it's never enough to make them glow like kanthol does in power mode. I was under the impression the white oxidation that forms if Ti is glowed red is Not Good!

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
My sister broke the 510 on the Cloupor Mini I gave her so I took it back to see if I can fix it. I saw some pics where some guys put a 14mm VT510 on it and I happen to have one left so I installed it. I was able to tap the case for the 510 but don't have what I need to solder to SS so I added the ground washer and nut. Talk about a tight fit. I think it came out pretty good. I like the size of the mod but the 510 was so crappy I never used it for more than a few days. Then I got into Evolv mods and never looked back. I gave her a DNA40 but I think she likes the Mini better just because it's so small.

2016-04-12%2001.36.24_zpss6vc8oz8.jpg

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I would really like to see some thing like this :)
With a single cell 18650 & as small as posable :)
A nice easy access cover in the back with magnets & a high quality 18650 battery sled :)
adapted for the Evolv 510. To bad I can't design it my self :(

Have you thought about just installing one of those FDV 18650 battery tubes into a reference mod enclosure?

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Does TI build an oxidation (or whatever it is) layer like kanthal does after a few burns? I.e. an electrical insulation layer?
95% sure it does not, but no expert by any means. IIRC the dioxide is nasty stuff and the coils should be binned is you get this white layer, only formed way way above vaping temps.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
From all that I have read, and a lot of that from people who have worked at a professional level with titanium for years, it does oxide when heated. There is oxide and then there is OXIDE though. Like VB said, the heavy oxide occurs at temperatures above 800F or so, cherry red or brighter. Far above where we vape at. Even then, if the white oxide appears it most probably isn't as dangerous as it's been made out to be. The "Ti oxide causes cancer" myth is based on one case where a man died from lung cancer after working for years in an atmosphere heavily laden with Ti oxide. The thing that gets left out of that story is that he was also a smoke for his entire adult life.

YMMV, but if I manage to get the white oxide layer when tempering the wire, I just wipe it clean with 90% IPA. Brings it back to that nice, dull, metal sheen.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Have you thought about just installing one of those FDV 18650 battery tubes into a reference mod enclosure?
A battery tube installation would work fine :) But then you would end up with a tube cap situation like the SX mini, A cap for the battery that screws off & on is a bit of a pain. magnets sound better to me :)
Kind of wishing I would have bought an ERM enclosure when moderate had them on sale :(
Probably would be easy enough to put a battery sled in it and mod the back cover with magnets.
Hind sight is all ways 20/20 :(

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
Hey folks, finally got the new style buttons from Alpinetech and I gotta tell ya, it's a really nice switch. The build quality is awesome. Prolly one of the better switches I've come across. You can get them from Alpinetechs Facebook page by sending them a PM.

Alpinetech

75bcee1ca6b820097ee5c8278a4e5b59.jpg

d9011724d1f00a4859646c268b0f299c.jpg

2ae16a6f85431c908b46d54fa78bc924.jpg

Sent from The Truck O Shop

Last edited:

Spirometry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
New Orleans
A battery tube installation would work fine :) But then you would end up with a tube cap situation like the SX mini, A cap for the battery that screws off & on is a bit of a pain. magnets sound better to me :)
Kind of wishing I would have bought an ERM enclosure when moderate had them on sale :(
Probably would be easy enough to put a battery sled in it and mod the back cover with magnets.
Hind sight is all ways 20/20 :(
Protovapor still has the EMR case. Its currently on sale and machined for the Evolv 510. All the new stuff is machined for the modcrate 510.

Users who are viewing this thread