Imperial Beach, California

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
That good eh?
The board in the Topside or I should maybe say the space in the mod for the board is too narrow to fit a DNA75C.
Otherwise with a different panel that holds the up and down buttons it would fit.
Yea it's plenty good enough but I'd rather it have preheat/boost 'cause I'm spoiled

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Exact same things going on here SlickWilly. It's even 23°F (-5°C) here right now. I drained the outside faucets for the winter about a week ago. I rarely use the garage/wood shop furnace (twice per 10 years maybe) and I wonder how much that pilot light burns per year of propane. All propane (house furnace, drier, garage) uses a 500 gallon tank which they come out to fill automatically and deduct it against my prepay. Snow blower quit a few years ago and maybe I'll just buy a new one. Probably too late to do anything about the leaves till spring. It's like this every fall, it rains during the fall and the leaves fall and then are too wet to pick up and then it gets coated full of snow for the winter. :(

Any leaf's left once the weather gets to where I can't pick them up with the bagger (wet leaf's) I just leave them and don't worry about, most of them will come up the next spring and those that don't will break down and feed the lawn. When I first moved here 32 years ago there were six huge maple trees on the property, the first fall my wife, daughter and I spent every weekend raking leafs and we couldn't keep up, the next year I bought the bagger system. Over the years the trees died off and I'm down to only two now so not as much to clean up but it sure is nice to ride around on the tractor while watching all the neighbors raking. ;) Looking at the 10 day forecast, the middle of next week will likely be the last shots at getting leafs up.

In this village they have an electric sub station and it's cheaper rates then the rest of the state so everything in the house runs off electric. But the shop being what it is, a small old horse barn that I insulated and revamped the ground floor into my shop, it's too big to try and heat with electric, I use propane heaters that I run off 20 pound tanks. I have a propane salamander heater and a few of the on tank radiant heaters, I use the salamander to bring the temp up quickly then switch over to a couple of the radiant heaters that will hold the temperature, one on each end of the shop will keep it at least 60 F even on a pretty cold day and that's good enough for shop work.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I wish I could do that SlickWilly. I used to use a closed in trailer that pulled behind the lawn mover. It had its own motor with an 18 inch hose going to the lawn mover. But that hose got brittle and that motor is a super pain to start. I started spending more time repairing than I did using it.

I'd say I have a hundred maple trees here. Every time I try to count, I get up around 25 and I give up and say a lot of maples. So I get an unbelievable amount of leaves. The maples are 95 feet high and they must be over 100 years old now. Up to the 50's they were tapped for maple syrup.

Up to the 70's, it was hand raked. But that is like 10 days worth of work. Up to the 50's, it was raked in the middle of my 1/8 mile gravel driveway. Then they dumped used motor oil on them. Then it takes 3 days to burn. I don't even think that is even legal anymore.

So from the 70's and on I would haul like 2 dump trucks worth in my forest here. Lots of work, but it worked. I tried a leaf blower that is also a vacuum and the bag is a cloth bag you wore over your shoulder. That was a PIA. 30 seconds the bag was full and it takes 5 minutes to empty. It will take 3 months doing it that way.

So I kind of quit and just mulch them with the lawn mover in the spring. Hopefully I'll find a better plan for all of these leaves every fall. Today they might be dry enough, but it is too windy lately to even use a leaf blower. :( I wonder what a lawn service would want to get rid of 2 dump trucks worth of leaves? :lol:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I hear you, Bill. We have about 50 trees total. Lots of oak and maple with some black locust, sweet gum and a partridge in a pear tree. First year here I used the mower, mulched/blew them into rows that way, then raked and bagged...about 60 bags or so. Next year I got the vacuum attachment which holds three bushels of mulched leaves. That only takes about 20 or 30 trips to the mulch pile. Problem is that with all those trees the amount of branches/twigs gets out of hand quickly and I hate running them over with the mower, so they have to get picked up or raked up, too.

Now, to handle that problem, the branches/twigs, and to further reduce the sheer volume of leaves, I got a fairly large chipper/shredder. It still takes forever to get everything done and there always seems to be a pile of branches/twigs that need to go through the chipper/shredder. On the plus side of that, I've got an area about 20 feet square that's already about eight inches deep in chipper output.

If you want a leaf vac - DR Leaf and Lawn Vacuum

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I used to collect leaves from my yard (2.5 acres) and compost them down to feed our 1800 sq.ft. garden. That worked quite well but now that we don't garden so much area I am converting the leaves to lawn food. I mulch the leaves once a week and spread lime on the yard at the end of leaf drop. The lime is alkaline and offsets the acidity in the leaves so the microorganisms can break the leaf mulch down much faster. Happy lawn and way less work makes a happy me.:)

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I just accidentally droped the 21700 out of my Topside with it hitting the edge of my desk on it's way to the carpet. Minor damage to the wrap on that top edge. Out of service for now till the wraps that I just ordered arrives. I can just barely see a glimmer of metal on the corner but that's enough for me, too much energy in one of these to take any chances.
44339320_2151222488235297_7717320271085961216_n.jpg

Last edited:

MadOzodi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
StL, MO
Wow! Do you mean like the Apple II (I'm thinking way before iPhone) and the dreaded Lisa too? Or do you mean like later?

Oh man, the flashbacks...we had an Apple IIe when I was a kid. I was a PC guy from '94 through '08 (can't remember anymore when the first iPhone came out). Just recently got a PC laptop to do the crap my iPad Air2 turns its nose at.

Hope all the Michael affected people are ok!

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Over in the Topside thread I posted about having a leak from the 510.
Was getting juice down one side of the battery, wasn't sure where it was leaking but I have it figured out now.
This was my 2nd choice as I figured it was internal but no......
44378494_2151785968178949_3948840206647427072_n.jpg

I''ll figure something out as I'm not planning on sending it out. What I did do was wrap a bit of teflon tape on that area above the threads on the 510 at the atty's base. Most 510's have a beveled out area before the threads start but not this mod's 510. Still might be able to use an o-ring on the atty's 510. While that "seal" around the 510 looks like silicone it's not it's delrin.
Edit: I put a 5 x 1 mm silicone o-ring on the atty's 510, just about sits flush, maybe someday I'll touch up the start of the mod's 510 with a burr. It won't need much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread