Ex-smoker and overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
First off, I quit smoking analogs on March 22, 2010. It was rough in the beginning, but more so recently just staying quit has been difficult. I have had a few small slips, and I cannot pinpoint why. Boredom or the "need" for nicotine, who knows....8-o

So, I wanna try e-cigarettes and I have so much information, I am on overload. The infomation is overwhelming about what to buy and where to start. But, I must say, this forum is the best for information and I have spent days reading on here. :D

I am also interested if there is anyone else like me, who quit the analogs, but is trying to stay quit and thought to try e-cigs.

Any guidance for a newbie would be so welcomed.

splunge2112

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
girard pennsylvania
try to buy a kit locally. that way if its a bust for you then you can take it back. just look at kits online otherwise. everybody has a favorite, its like arguing politics and sports teams here. and everybody loves to wave their knowledge around with terms you wont understand to show off what they know about these things. just keep it small at first, too many people get sucked into the novelty and piss away a fat bundle of cash on crap they dont need. and if you are looking for a taste that is akin to a real cigarette, forget it. its all fruity or sweet or burnt inner tubes

brian1g

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2010
Texas panhandle
Welcome Curlygirl !

You are right, tons of good info to go through around here. I was in your shoes not too long ago. I quit smoking on 1/1/10 and it really got tough for me mid february and thats when I started vaping. Vaping has totally crushed my cravings for analogs.

Its hard to decide which pv to get, so many good ones out there aimed at people new to vaping. The best advice I can give you is to watch and read reviews on lots of different e cigs. The 510,901,801 and eGo are all great but it all boils down to what you are looking for and how much you want to spend starting out.

If you are willing and able to spend the money I would say the eGo with a drip tip is a nice starter setup that you will be happy with for a long time to come. You will also need some juice and at least 1 extra atty.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you :)

Happy Vaping

andrea0121

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Salem, WI
Or, drop 35 bucks on a 510 starter kit (fabulous starter kit) from cignot.com. I tried several different ecigs and have been using the 510 for a few months now. Love it.

I would recommend getting some blank cartridges and ordering some sample juices (I order from diyflavorshack.com, her customer service is awesome and she'll answer any questions you might have) and go from there.

The pre-filled carts are good for the first couple days, but they dry out, so you'll definitely want juice...so that's why I recommended the blank carts and just get yourself some juices.

I don't know if buying locally will steer you away from ecigs or not, I know that several people have had real bad experiences from buying one at a gas station or the mall, and they spent a whole lot more than $35.

This is the right place to ask questions though, and I'm sure there will be several other people who will probably recommend starting off with the 510. It's a good little ecig. Definitely invest in the kit though, because it comes with 2 batteries, so you can vape off one while the other is charging.

Good luck :) :) :)

mick11

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Dallas, TX
Welcome and good luck

If you don't mind "messing" with things a bit and top performance is most important, I second the recommendation for a 510 from Cignot.

If however, "messing" would be a big hindrance, try a KR808 as it is simpler to use starting out and you can concentrate on finding good juices you like with less hassles figuring out the hardware.

Whatever you decide on........JUST DO IT!!!! You won't regret it.

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
Thank you all for your replies:). It has clarified a few things for me. I was at the mall about a week before I actually quit smoking and saw a kiosk there for the e-cig. I stopped and picked up a brochure, but no sales person was around and the pamplet didn't have prices. I was thinking about heading back there, but was hestitant because I figured there would be more overhead and possibly taxes associated with a place like that.

So, e-cig tobacco tastes like rubber? Hmmmm, I think I will start with a small starter kit, and a money back guarantee.

I appreciate everyone's time thanks!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
510 is very popular as is the KR808 - both are good, neither of the basic kits have good battery life. You can either drop some more $ and buy an EgO (which is a 510 with benefits) or stick with the cheaper baisc kit to see if you like things first. I got a 510 myself, from Cignot your Midwest Electronic Cigarette store. (although there are many places which carry this PV, that is jsut the one I got mine from), and a PT cos I spend lots of time at home. You can also get a PCC which does 'on the go' charging. That supplier also sells the 'Ego' as well - its pretty much the same thing with a much longer battery life.
WHcihever kit you decide to get, make sure you get spare attys and extra juices (not the prefilled carts, that will get expensive) to fill your own carts with. Lots n lots of tasty juices out there btw. You will also need to experiment a little to find 'your ideal' nicotine level - every person is different and there is no 'cookie cutter' chart to work out where you might fall based on your smoking habits. We usually recommend new people start between 18-24mg but thats just a ballpark estimate. I smoked ultralights and found 12mg was good for me, 18mg if Im really craving. Others with the same smoking habits/brand as me may need higher or lower levels.
Good luck - it really can be overwhelming at first but once you make a decision on your PV the rest is less of an overload of info :)

Spence

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Tennessee
I am also interested if there is anyone else like me, who quit the analogs, but is trying to stay quit and thought to try e-cigs.

Any guidance for a newbie would be so welcomed.

I quit for 9 months and took up vaping to keep off cigs. The best piece of advise that I can give you is when you order e-liquid order some zero nic to match whatever flavor you try.

Because I had been a smoker for 30 years, I thought I could handle the 24mg liquid ... knocked my socks off (not in a good way). I added pg/vg to cut it, but it cut the flavor as well. And it was still too harsh. About that time it dawned on me that I could cut the high mg liquid with zero of the same flavor.

To my surprise, I found zero nic was fine with me w/o any nicotine ... and I wasn't re-fueling my addiction. It may not prove the same with you, but it's worth in a shot in my opinion.

At the very least you'll end up with a way to adjust the strength of your liquid with less hassle. Best of luck to ya!

Last edited:

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Ego Kits

Go there and buy that imo. You can thank me in a couple of weeks. ;)

The Ego kit from Nhaler is a great deal if you have the extra bucks, there are an extra atomizer (Low resistance) and a drip tip and the quick charger in addition to the two batteries, regular atty and cartridges.

Nhaler has good juices to choose from also.

I have dealt with several of the ECF vendors over the last year and a half and have had great luck with all of them.

One caution regarding the mall kiosks, most of us have found that they are usually selling below par products at a highly inflated price and many are not still around when warranty becomes an issue. Beware of those in most instances.

Good luck in your journey and welcome to our vaping adventure !

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
This may sound silly too....but I really don't want it to look like an analog....I would like some "color" to it...LOL...:sneaky:

I guess what is important to me is not having to mess with a lot of filling and such to begin with. I want something simple, a money back guarantee, preferably free, fast shipping. :p

I don't understand why at cignot that 501 has 2 batteries and is cheaper than the ego with only 1 battery :confused:

BoneIdle

May 10, 2010
NE Indiana
I started with Blu, and while I think the Blu starter kitt ie pretty slick and full featured, if I had it to do over, I'd purchase an Njoye 510 ( Which is what arrived in the mail today). The 510 produces otherworldly amounts of vapor and does it consistently.Starter kits for the 510 (x2 atty x2 battery) are running 35 -40 dollars. Blu is , IIRC, 59.00.

I have to say that Blu/Volcano/L88B felt much more like a contnuation of smoking for about the first week I had it. I like the super(?) mini design and if the atomizers improve, I'd probably make that my primary ecig.

As far as nicotine levels, when I quit smoking the last time around, I went cold turkey. I had no physical withdrawal symptoms ( No. Really). When I decided to give ecigs a try, I ordered low nicotine cartridges ( and now low nicotine and 0 nicotine eliquid).

I believe that if you currently smoke two packs a day and suddenly switch to ecigs, you're going to need a higher level of nicotine initally. I was a pretty light smoker ( 1/2 pack per) for the past few years, so I do very well with a low level for the stimulant and no nicotine for puffing and admiiring the pretty vapor.

I'm new here, as well, so I might as well warn that there will be typos: I'm using a netbook with touchpad :))

topaz_stone71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Central Ohio
This may sound silly too....but I really don't want it to look like an analog....I would like some "color" to it...LOL...:sneaky:

I guess what is important to me is not having to mess with a lot of filling and such to begin with. I want something simple, a money back guarantee, preferably free, fast shipping. :p

I don't understand why at cignot that 501 has 2 batteries and is cheaper than the ego with only 1 battery :confused:

The Ego battery is supposed to last 6-8 hours while my 510 lasts about 1-3 (depending on how much I vape). I just got the prettiest purple battery from Vapor4life and (I'm guessing) the carts are colored based on the juice you order. I am so buying more purple batteries in the future because I'm a dork like that LOL

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
I started with Blu, and while I think the Blu starter kitt ie pretty slick and full featured, if I had it to do over, I'd purchase an Njoye 510 ( Which is what arrived in the mail today). The 510 produces otherworldly amounts of vapor and does it consistently.Starter kits for the 510 (x2 atty x2 battery) are running 35 -40 dollars. Blu is , IIRC, 59.00.

I have to say that Blu/Volcano/L88B felt much more like a contnuation of smoking for about the first week I had it. I like the super(?) mini design and if the atomizers improve, I'd probably make that my primary ecig.

As far as nicotine levels, when I quit smoking the last time around, I went cold turkey. I had no physical withdrawal symptoms ( No. Really). When I decided to give ecigs a try, I ordered low nicotine cartridges ( and now low nicotine and 0 nicotine eliquid).

I believe that if you currently smoke two packs a day and suddenly switch to ecigs, you're going to need a higher level of nicotine initally. I was a pretty light smoker ( 1/2 pack per) for the past few years, so I do very well with a low level for the stimulant and no nicotine for puffing and admiiring the pretty vapor.

I'm new here, as well, so I might as well warn that there will be typos: I'm using a netbook with touchpad :))

This sounds a lot like me. I smoked for 25 years (quit with both pregnancies) and quit last year for like 18 days and now, this quit. I smoked between 10-12 cigs a day (Viriginia Slim 120's non-menthol)....I just really miss the "act" of it I think.....the time out if you will, lol.

I guess I am still trying to "learn" the lingo.....cartridges, ejuice, nic levels....ugh...it can be maddening, but I appreciate someone else's newness too....

And I want pretty colors too, orange or pink will do....LOL:oops:

good luck to you. You might consider going to the classifieds here in the forums. You can get a brand new 510 kit for $30 -$35 and make them an offer for free shipping, bet someone will do it for you knowing you are new and getting started. I bet they would even priority mail it and you would have it in 1 or 2 days. These people are great. I have already purchased alot of stuff from the forums and i'm only into vaping for 2 weeks saturday. Good people, even if you get something that isn't quite right, they will make it right. Don't worry about all the mods yet, just use the kit for a week or two then decide if you want to expand. I started with the dse801 which is great then I ordered a 510 from a fellow forum member and LOVE IT. I just ordered another 510 from another forum member. I have purchased several juices from fellow members. I think you can do everything you need as a beginner from THIS forum. This place is self maintained. lol If you fall off the wagon, there is alot of people here to not only pick you up, but there are even some who will dust you off too. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread