experimenting and looking for input

Status
Not open for further replies.

scapegoat

May 20, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Hi all, I’m kind of going into experimental mode here in trying to come up with a perfect (for me) tobacco flavored e-liquid. Let me preface this by saying I spent a fair amount of time and money last night with Xtreme vaping, cignot, Perfumer’s Apprentice and Alien Visions in getting some 50mg/ml nic liquid and other along with various flavorings and some new e juice already made for use just to try out. I think I can eventually come up with something better suited to my tastes than what I’m finding as I have a chemistry background and finding ways to improvise is what I do best… BUT, here’s what I’m wondering about this phase (below) and look to you folks for opinions and insight;

At the local tobacco shop I asked the owner if he sold tobacco leaves, unadulterated. Once he wrapped his head around that big 6 syllable word, he pulled out a bag that had what he called his purest tobacco, a wrapped up leave that looked like something you might step on in the back yard (if you have a big dog), and being the adventurist I am sometimes I bought a couple of those and drove down to the liquor store and bought a bottle of Everclear. That’s 95% alcohol by volume or 190 proof for those that may not have that available in your area.

I took it home, put one of the tobacco leave things in a skinny cylindrical shaped container and covered it with Everclear, only as much as needed to cover the thing. My purpose or hope is to let the alcohol absorb as much flavor and nicotine as possible over a short time and then filter the liquid through a coffee filter into a container, thereby having my own addition to my quest for a tobacco e-liquid. I’ve already taken a little after 12 hours of soaking and injected it into a cartomizer ecig off brand I had, of course after mixing it with an 80/20 PG/VG solution. It vaped, it had some flavor but not a whole lot, do you guys think this primitive approach method will be something that will screw up attys? Do you see much nicotine leeching into the solution? This is what I’m hoping for but I have no means to know this without sending off a sample. Sure, if I start bouncing off the walls I’ll assume some came over but I wonder how much?

The liquid (at 12 hours) with a pg/vg base actually worked and looked like a decent commercially available e-liquid. Light coppery in color and vaped pretty well. I think with more time or a little tobacco absolute??? Maybe it could work. The flavor could be stronger for me, then I could leave it soaking for a week and maybe get that.

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions are what I’m looking for from you good people as this is all new to me, I just want to make a non-sweet tobacco flavored vaping solution that I can reproduce in quantity once I hit the right flavor. I guess that’s what we all want, except those of you smoking blueberry cheescake ecigs…. Arrrggghhhhh… ick….. yuck…. Lol j/k, to each their own if it floats your boat. Thanks for reading and thanks for any input you can offer!

jebey29

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Winnsboro,LA
I guess what your doing is a laymans way of macerating your tobacco. Time consuming and a hit and miss for sure. You could save yourself the trouble and for $15 buy 30ml of tobacco liquid from Tasty Vapor. He macerates his tobacco to create his tobacco e-liquid.(I believe i remember him saying this process takes 10-14 days) To my knowledge he is the only one that does this.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
What Jebey says is right. Or, use TA from Perfumer's Apprentice.

Thing is, though - how do you know there is no PG in it? If you make it yourself then you know for sure.

As for method: VG is a very effective solvent and diluent, in fact there seems little (or even no) need to use PGA. However PGA might be useful to dilute the final result as it may help it dissolve into the final eliquid better. Or perhaps just faster, not better.

If you boil the tobacco in VG for a very short time, and let stand 12 hours, you get an excellent result. It takes very little tobacco for a lot of concentrate as a result.

However our chemists seem to think that the end result, using any method of this type, will have good flavor but very low nic levels. Maybe this is because if you use the same amount of tobacco that would make a couple of cigs, then that's the max amount of nicotine you're going to get. Simple I guess.

So the secret to making normal nic level liquids would be how to concentrate the final result. As it's a thick, goopy liquid like molasses, that doesn't look easy (if made by the VG boiling method). Maybe if you use PGA and do a ton of leaves with the same alcohol, you could get more nic, maybe approaching a normal amount.

But I think that is perhaps going the wrong way - just buy pure nic, or strong VG nic base liquid, and make your own flavor with the tobacco. That works pretty good and you know there is no PG.

[edit]
We have a forum for this now:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/

Last edited:
Damn, This is very similar to what I was thinking about trying. I like TastyVapor Tobacco flavor, but I really think I could make some that's much better for my tastes. I had no clue it would be so complicated though. I figured if I boiled the leaves in water it would take out the flavoring and nicotine, but apparently I'm wrong. I'm gonna have to read up on this a lot more before I even considder trying it. My goal is to make some type of pure extraxt with all the flavor, but little to no nicoting (because I want it to be safe). I'd really like to be able to make a concentrate, so I can dilute it in PG/VG with nic liquid, so I can know exactly what the nicotine content is. Before I started Vaping I was into RYO (roll your own) cigarettes and I've tried dozens of different types of RYO tobacco and cigarettes. I really think I have a good taste for tobacco and know of a few good tobaccos that would mix really good to make an excellent flavored and genuine e-liquid. If anyone has any good ideas that aren't too complicated (that work) please let me know. I'll give you some of the end result if it works out. Thanks.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I do all these boilings and macerations on a regular level.
It's time consuming but soooo satisfying. A hobby of sorts. Actually it's more of a passion than a hobby.

By the way. VG smokes too much before it boils...DO NOT TRY TO BOIL VG. Or add a little distilled water to the mix and let the water boil off.
simply heat the pipe tobacco (or pure tobacco leaves fresh from the farm) in VG. Heat until the vg starts smoking.
let cool , and macerate for 5 days minimum.
Filter the liquid with a wine cloth.
The liquid will be pitch black after a few days....add nicotine to taste.

Hint....if you like burley tobacco, repeat the process above with yellow Jasmin tea, and allow tea to macerate for 5 days...Jasmin tea works wonders with all tobacco tastes.

Another great ingredient is Bergamot...
You may also wish to repeat process with Earl greay tea, and mix your tobacco flavors with Earl greay tea.

Keep in mind that NOTHING replaces the 5 day maceration period...there are no short cuts.

On another note : Nicotine does not transfer into the VG from the tobacco ...you need to add liquid nicotine.

Since the VG mixture is thick and viscous, diluting it with regular PG nicotine is perfect, so as to reduce the viscosity.

Another word of warning...stay away from English blends of pipe tobacco as well as LATAKIA tobacco...these are way too pungent.

Best tobaccos to use are : Burley, Virginia, Kentucky gold, Perique, Danish Gold...etc...
Get creative !!!
Go visit a few tobacco farmers...you can buy whole tobacco plants for $8 a lb...

Nothing in the world can replace a home brew...made with love patience and passion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread