The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Explosion at my local shop

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by BrownManVapes, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    @Bad Ninja Beleive me the stuff on the shelves here is not art work.
    This explains all the colorful paint though.
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  2. mauricem00

mauricem00 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    well if someone is going to try to build a mod powerful enough to require multiple MOSFETS then we need to give them as much information as possible. at those current levels even a dual battery mod would stress the batteries and firing for more than a few seconds would overheat the batteries. a single ILRB 3036 can easily handle 50 amps with 3.5 gate to source voltage with only a 0.1 volt drain to source drop. it would have to be heat sinked to the case but thats still over 180 watts with parallel batteries IRLB3036PBF International Rectifier, IRLB3036PBF Datasheet - Page 3

• Like Like x 1
  3. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

True. But then, I wasn't trying to help somebody build such a mod. I was trying to explain what a MOSFET is, and why they are used, and how they might be configured :) Again, though, you're perfectly correct. Building a mod that powerful is not a game for people who don't understand what they're doing. I wouldn't attempt it myself without first publishing a schematic over in the modders forum and asking for opinion of those wiser than myself.

• Like Like x 3
  4. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    To the powers that be--the ONLY good of vaping is tax revenue..

5. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Great information, very easy to understand and much appreciated suprtrkr. Thank you !! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    For me it's not so much about minute-to-minute reliability. It's more about reliability in the sense of being "built to last". One could say a mech is the bare minimum level of technology required to get a great vape. Their very nature is altogether non-technological. Sufficently so to be (potentially) near indestructible. While I consider myself a techie, I also have a fond appreciation for things on a technological level of Good Enough - that keeps on working ad infinitum.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Canadian_Vaper

Canadian_Vaper Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Mech VS Regulated is like Apple VS PC.... In the end just get what you like....

Personally I like regulated because it keeps my vape in the range I like it, very consistent, I think voltage drop actually gives me anxiety lol...

8. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    I have no idea why you would "trust" a cheap (disposable) regulated PVs with "clone" chips and a LiPo pack. :) (have you ever taken apart one of those mods, the protection around the LiPo pack is like aluminum foil. ) So, Drop the mod a few times.....Not real hard to get a chip malfunction, shorting, frying boards, or wire crosses on a cheapo chinese regulated. Sometimes they don't cut-off properly when charging, etc. cloudpor mini, for instance, regulated mod, had problems.

Here's the deal: anybody who wants to just vape cluelessly should stick with gas station cigalikes. :) Otherwise, one must be mindful and practice safety.

One reason I liked mechanicals is that I felt "safer" being in charge....taking my own readings, inspecting my batteries, etc. I was using REOs. REOs are mechanical, very safe, spring drops on a short and all is well. :) It has nothing to do with being cool, some people just like the vape.

• Like Like x 2
  9. K_Tech

K_Tech Slightly mad but harmless Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    I apologize for not reading through all 11 pages - I'm in a hurry!

The Tuglife is a parallel box mod, and from a quick search:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Good point K_Tech :)

But that would only be a problem when you put the second battery in the mod with one reversed. Instant short of both batts. This incident happened after one battery was inserted.

No one knows what really went wrong.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.