Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
To me it's more like:

Mechanical:
modelT.jpeg

Regulated:
Volvo-XC90.jpg

:D

The trick is knowing how to set it up and use it.
image.jpg

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
What's the point of mech mods? Is it a "cool" thing to do? Is it all about "chucking clouds"? Can't you chuck clouds with regulated devices? I really don't understand why or what the benefit is.

Batteries may fail. Electric circuits / electronics may fail. People may fail in all kinds of ways.

The sky is not falling.

To save me the effort of digging up a couple dozen links, please imagine this text being accompanied by pictures of burnt out Teslas, exploded Macbooks, charred iSticks and X-rays of toothbrushes needing surgical removal from a bodily cavity of your choosing.

Last edited:

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
Sooo... put a loaded weapon in my mouth. Got it.

I still don't get it but I think my first guess may have been right. At my age I'm way past needed to be accepted as cool. Anyway, to each their own and your mileage may vary and all that stuff.

Read through ecf, there are a lot of mech users who are very informed and not talking about clouds. A lot. The comments here have eloquently explained their strong points.

For the cloud chasers, using mechs now i think is just part of the bigger clouds arms race. If a 500w regulated thing came out with a hoverboard lipo they would jump on it too. Alas.

And as someone pointed out kids are literally mixing mtn dew and racing fuel. What anyone can do about that is beyond me.

I would guess that the fad for clouds will be gone by the end of the year though, no flavours and super taxes will take care of it. :(

Reactions: EBates

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I own mech and regulated and enjoy both my mech is a different type of vape to what you get off a regulated and in the hands of people who know what they are doing I'm no more at risk from a mech mod then I am from a regulated. Sadly there is an increasing number of people using mech mods whose only experience has been YouTube and one of their resident ...... only interested in boosting their ego and status not ensuring viewers are safe after watching one of their cloud vids. I think at some point mech mods will become victim to legislation and will be banned from sale and that will highlight the best point about mechs for those who have them and know them they are so simple to repair or even make ;).

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I own mech and regulated and enjoy both my mech is a different type of vape to what you get off a regulated and in the hands of people who know what they are doing I'm no more at risk from a mech mod then I am from a regulated. Sadly there is an increasing number of people using mech mods whose only experience has been YouTube and one of their resident ...... only interested in boosting their ego and status not ensuring viewers are safe after watching one of their cloud vids. I think at some point mech mods will become victim to legislation and will be banned from sale and that will highlight the best point about mechs for those who have them and know them they are so simple to repair or even make ;).

I think we should ban YouTube.
Or at least make adults sign a waiver saying they understand these are not educational documentaries.
:facepalm:

For the new members, I use mostly mechanicals and I'm NOT a clown chaser.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
I always try to make time for anyone that approaches me about vaping but without exception I know it's going to be a frustrating pain when it starts with "I saw this on YouTube" and it's happening more often. Don't know about a waiver for viewers but maybe something obligating uploaders to include relevant safety information might be a good idea.

Reactions: EBates

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I always try to make time for anyone that approaches me about vaping but without exception I know it's going to be a frustrating pain when it starts with "I saw this on YouTube" and it's happening more often. Don't know about a waiver for viewers but maybe something obligating uploaders to include relevant safety information might be a good idea.

Obligating up loaders would be censorship. Responsibility is on the viewer.
I'm for adults being responsible for their own actions and decisions.
It's part of being an adult.

Playing "monkey see monkey do" is a crazy way to go through life.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Yeah I know but thanks to other people I've watched some of these videos that IMO were borderline dangerous and definitely misleading and the fact any idiot can make and upload a video that may cause injury to some viewers is something I think there should be some accountability for. Ruet it used to be accepted that mech mods were for advanced users they were not something for people just starting but sadly vaping has become a leisure activity and as i've mentioned lot of idiots on YouTube encouraging people that shouldn't be using them to go buy and use them. Mechs when in the hands of an owner who knows what they are doing are no more dangerous then a regulated that's just a fact not some knee jerk defence of mechs. I've only had mine a year but I and it are still in one piece and working well but then I did more then watch a few vids ;).

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Bah, the usual suspects appear here immediately to defend mech mods. Hey crx, you mentioned that the user broke "rule #1". Where exactly is this compendium of rules located so the rest of us can study and memorize them? It could save someones life someday.

And the uninformed who are too lazy too look before they leap expect the world to dumb down to their level so they can be safe, as they ignore warning signs.
Most people that roll through life this way eventually get a painful wake up call.
Life isn't idiot proof. Adults need to start acting like adults.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
I wouldn't call it defending, more like explaining to the uninformed. Besides, the OP was about an unregulated box, a completely different animal. Total derailment here.

As soon as I saw Imren battery all credibility was lost anyway. Call me a battery snob if you will, but I use mech and regulated mods and won't touch anything not named Sony, Samsung or Orbtronic. When was the last time anyone posted about a mod exploding with a quality battery in use? And I will absolutely eat crow if there's an instance of a mech mod/subtank/quality battery explosion that I missed somewhere.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
Are there mech mods I can use 18-19mm attys on?

You can use them on any mech mod. However, most mech mods are 22mm, with some being 16, 24, 28 and 30mm as well...it will be tough to find a perfect aesthetic fit. But yeah, any size atty will technically work on any mech. Just might look a little silly.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
And the uninformed who are too lazy too look before they leap expect the world to dumb down to their level so they can be safe, as they ignore warning signs.
Most people that roll through life this way eventually get a painful wake up call.
Life isn't idiot proof. Adults need to start acting like adults.

What warning signs are you talking about? Where are they? Where can the uninformed masses go to find them?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
What warning signs are you talking about? Where are they? Where can the uninformed masses go to find them?
Okay, I'll play along...

So where did these "uninformed masses" learn about a mechanical mods existence in the first place?
I don't recall seeing any TV ads for mechanicals.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Ruet it used to be accepted that mech mods were for advanced users they were not something for people just starting but sadly vaping has become a leisure activity and as i've mentioned lot of idiots on YouTube encouraging people that shouldn't be using them to go buy and use them. Mechs when in the hands of an owner who knows what they are doing are no more dangerous then a regulated that's just a fact not some knee jerk defence of mechs. I've only had mine a year but I and it are still in one piece and working well but then I did more then watch a few vids ;).

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Vendors should, voluntarily, stop selling unregulated mods. For the good of vaping. Of course the usual suspects will be along to accuse me of calling for a ban.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Vendors should, voluntarily, stop selling unregulated mods. For the good of vaping. Of course the usual suspects will be along to accuse me of calling for a ban.

For the children!!!
For the sake of vaping!!!

How about you advocate education instead of regulation?

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Okay, I'll play along...

So where did these "uninformed masses" learn about a mechanical mods existence in the first place?
I don't recall seeing any TV ads for mechanicals.

They learned about them wherever they bought them. A the person behind the counter said "ok here ya go". "Have this battery to go with it". "It's super cheap".

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They learned about them wherever they bought them. A the person behind the counter said "ok here ya go". "Have this battery to go with it". "It's super cheap".

First off, I've never seen a "super cheap" mech in a shop.
They are usually about 5x more expensive than online, due to overhead, rent ect.. But okay, I'm still playing.

So....In this imaginary scenario did they see one work?
Did they see an employee use one?
Or are these "uninformed masses" so blind they just throw money down without seeing it work.

See where I'm going yet?
;)

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
For the children!!!
For the sake of vaping!!!

How about you advocate education instead of regulation?

No, not for the sake of the children. So I don't have to go back to smoking cigarettes. I'm all for education but I don't see it happening. It cuts into the bottom-line and, apparently, everyone should already know this stuff anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread