Explosion at my local shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
No, not for the sake of the children. So I don't have to go back to smoking cigarettes. I'm all for education but I don't see it happening. It cuts into the bottom-line and, apparently, everyone should already know this stuff anyway.

Guess who is responsible For educating an adult?

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
First off, I've never seen a "super cheap" mech in a shop.
They are usually about 5x more expensive than online, due to overhead, rent ect.. But okay, I'm still playing.

So....In this imaginary scenario did they see one work?
Did they see an employee use one?
Or are these "uninformed masses" so blind they just throw money down without seeing it work.

See where I'm going yet?
;)

Ummm... Have you actually ever been into a vape shop? I've got about 15 of them in a five mile radius. I can guess where you think you are going with this but seem to be living in a world that exists in only in your local galaxy so I can't be sure. Anyway, I'll pick this conversation up again tomorrow. Have a good night.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Ummm... Have you actually ever been into a vape shop? I've got about 15 of them in a five mile radius. I can guess where you think you are going with this but seem to be living in a world that exists in only in your local galaxy so I can't be sure. Anyway, I'll pick this conversation up again tomorrow. Have a good night.

I repaired mods for three local shops for about 2 years.

Let's try another route.

Mechanicals are basically flashlights, modified to accept a 510 thread instead of a bulb.

That's why we call them mods.

Any regulation would be a joke.
We would just make them.

The "uninformed masses" would simply watch a video and make their own.
Which would be magnitudes worse.

Adults should look before they leap, educate themselves, and think.
Everyone knows lithum batteries in their laptops can explode. It has been all over the news for two decades.
They may not apply that knowledge when they see a lithium batery in a mod, but they should.
I encourage education. Shops should tell customers the risks and be sure they understand the dangers.
After that, it's on them.

Grown ups get to make their own decisions. And they get to
Live with them.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
To me it's more like:

Mechanical:
modelT.jpeg

Regulated:
Volvo-XC90.jpg

:D
Personally I would gladly drive a Model T over that modernized piece of crap Volvo. The experience matters more to me than creature comforts.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
In some local shops, I've seen prices at or even below cost on mech mods and RDA's, both authentic and clones.

First off, I've never seen a "super cheap" mech in a shop.
They are usually about 5x more expensive than online, due to overhead, rent ect.. But okay, I'm still playing.

So....In this imaginary scenario did they see one work?
Did they see an employee use one?
Or are these "uninformed masses" so blind they just throw money down without seeing it work.

See where I'm going yet?
;)

Reactions: thetrucker

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Dunno. To each their own, I guess. I've been using mechanicals daily for over 4 years. I've never had a mod get hot, auto-fire, or had to toss one out into the yard. But I took the time to learn things like Ohm's Law, safe battery discharge rates, proper coil building, and basic mod and atty maintenance. I don't own a regulated mod, and have no intention of owning one in the future.
I have never used a regulated mod but recently ordered one because I found an insane price on one and got hit with a bad case of shinyitis Sigelei 50 watt V2 Box Mod. never had a problem with mechanical and I don't vape over 20 watts. most of my tanks are 10 watts and everything is cleaned and inspected on a regular basis. the fact that an accident occurred at a vape shop says a lot about that shop

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Give it time and the idiot brigade will cause problems with regulateds trust me they will find a way so when it happens should we ban all regulateds. Mech mods are not for beginners never have been and it isn't the fault of the mech that it ends up in the hands of someone who doesn't bother to research their purchases. Personally I do hours of research before I ever click buy it's the sensible way to do things and thanks to the internet knowledge has never been easier to access no one has an excuse not to have the knowledge they need on a purchase and if they are too lazy or can't be bothered to learn how is that the fault of a mech.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Bah, the usual suspects appear here immediately to defend mech mods. Hey crx, you mentioned that the user broke "rule #1". Where exactly is this compendium of rules located so the rest of us can study and memorize them? It could save someones life someday.

What warning signs are you talking about? Where are they? Where can the uninformed masses go to find them?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Vendors should, voluntarily, stop selling unregulated mods. For the good of vaping. Of course the usual suspects will be along to accuse me of calling for a ban.

They learned about them wherever they bought them. A the person behind the counter said "ok here ya go". "Have this battery to go with it". "It's super cheap".

Interesting reads, but seemingly Hostile.
What makes me a Usual suspect?
Perhaps the fact I prefer using Logic rather than depending on others to live my life for me?
Maybe the fact I seem to advocate using ones Brain rather than banning anything one does not understand?
Maybe the fact I have reached 62 by learning about the things in my life rather than ignoring Signs designed to protect the more casual from themselves.

Perhaps you agree the FDA should Regulate Every aspect of Vaping to Protect us from Bad Decision making? ;)

I wonder, are YOU the other usual Suspect, that Must appear on the opposite side of a Discussion, tossing rocks? :sneaky:

16899883.jpg

Seriously? :facepalm:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
In some local shops, I've seen prices at or even below cost on mech mods and RDA's, both authentic and clones.

That's okay.
What we need to know is were there any "uninformed masses" being pushed down the path of destruction by the sinister retail clerk?

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
ok...chillax :)

Mech Mods are nothing new...I started gathering them for my vaping security way back in the day when we only had standard 510 atomizers and cartomizers to put on them.

It's not the mech mod that makes the problems, it's an uninformed user.

Last edited:

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
In fairness I've known a couple of b&m's and heard of many others that only concentrate on a sale and the needs of the user are a very distant second I'm banned from one b&m as I went back and caused a bit of a scene over what they sold a friend of mine. Mechs are being sold to new vapers quite often but a customer is at fault for not having a clue what is appropriate for them and yes I made that point very clear to my friend.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Dunno. To each their own, I guess. I've been using mechanicals daily for over 4 years. I've never had a mod get hot, auto-fire, or had to toss one out into the yard. But I took the time to learn things like Ohm's Law, safe battery discharge rates, proper coil building, and basic mod and atty maintenance. I don't own a regulated mod, and have no intention of owning one in the future.

This is a very good post :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 2)

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
I have no access to a B&m. I first saw them online whithout any kind of safety instructions. I read and saw a lot before buying my first gear and just never had one. I can tell you this, when my wife started Vaping and we where looking for gear for her she usually turned over to mechs because they looked pretty or cool. I stopped her and educate her and explained the safety measures she would need to take if she had one. She ended up saying no thank you. Unfortunately not everybody reads and not everybody has someone to teach them. I'm not pro regulating them but I do hope people stop exploding.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Vendors should, voluntarily, stop selling unregulated mods. For the good of vaping. Of course the usual suspects will be along to accuse me of calling for a ban.
Out of curiosity, if the story in the OP had been "I was at a shop and the owner got in a new shipment of istick 50w mods, and he took one out of the box to test it out, put on a clearo and the thing started auto firing. He kept trying to turn it off and it just kept going until it burst into flames." Would you then be calling for shops to voluntarily stop selling regulated mods?

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
For the new members, I use mostly mechanicals and I'm NOT a clown chaser.

I can verify with 100% assurance that I have never seen Bad Ninja chase a clown :lol:

Sorry Bad, just couldn't let that one pass by :)

To use the car analogy, I see mechs more like driving a manual transmission while regulated are akin to an automatic. Me personally, I prefer driving a stick and vaping a mech. It puts you in touch with your equipment.

Would I put my son, who has never driven before, in a 6 speed manual Corvette and put him on the road? Nope, but after he has learned the rules of the road and is comfortable driving, I sure do want to introduce him to the joy of being one with the machine.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
What's the point of mech mods? Is it a "cool" thing to do? Is it all about "chucking clouds"? Can't you chuck clouds with regulated devices? I really don't understand why or what the benefit is.
I've asked this question many times with (IMHO) weak or unresponsive answers! The biggest thing to understand is vaping is a very "PERSONAL" thing & although I completely don't understand the logic behind I respect peoples right to choose! The thing I wish is that we ensure that the person purchasing the device (especially hybrids) knew how to use them. But I still haven't figured out how to do this without inviting the gov't to issue licenses! And for me that's a no way!:thumbs:

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
I think we should ban YouTube.
Or at least make adults sign a waiver saying they understand these are not educational documentaries.
:facepalm:

For the new members, I use mostly mechanicals and I'm NOT a clown chaser.
No you're just a clown! LOL!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread