Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've seen VG in craft shops made for icing. Is that the same?

Probably so. VG is used in Hundreds and Hundreds of Products. From Shampoo to Toothpaste to Crackers to Cakes/Candies.

But that is the USP Rating comes in. It ensure a Level of Quality.

USP Vegetable Glycerin

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I will miss the students. NOT the administrators! Lol. It's so different now. I've been teaching for 26 years but the last five have been the worst. last I knew we had 1.3 faculty for every administrator. I'm sure its worse now. We worked all last summer for free, while they hired more admin to oversee the office of unicorns and hand-holding. It's sad, really.

I hear you.

Don't have to Tell You what it is like to see a Students face when they "Get It". Or when you see them down the road and see how much they're Mind has grown.

I also Don't have to tell you what it is like to sit in those Meeting where an Admin who has Never Taught a Semester drones on about how "We" should be doing this or "We" could be doing that. Not really having Any Clue what it takes to run a Class given the resources that we had.

I Taught on the College level. And was Lucky to be under two Deans and my 1st Department Chair who were all Really Good People.

But my Department Chair for the Last Half was a real Azzhat. Just someone Playing Out the String who No Longer Cared about anything but Teaching the Classes He wanted to Teach.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Yes, Yes they did, we just accepted it...

Opened a couple of storage boxes last year from when I left Border Operations about 9 years ago, right after I started vaping. OMG THE SMELL!!!!!!!!! Even 8 + years old, cigarette smoke STANK!!!

That is one of my biggest worries, the stench. But my wife and friends claim they never smell it on me. But I never smoked indoors, unless it was in my shop. And I had several air cleaners running when I did. Ironic, I suppose, but I never liked breathing my own 2nd-hand smoke.
And when did they become $9 a pack?! For the last several years of my smoking, I made my own. They tasted better, seemed to have less nic (probably fewer added chemicals), and were a lot cheaper.

That's it for me tonight, fellas. Gotta keep up the good sleep hygiene :D

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
I hear you.

Don't have to Tell You what it is like to see a Students face when they "Get It". Or when you see them down the road and see how much they're Mind has grown.

I also Don't have to tell you what it is like to sit in those Meeting where an Admin who has Never Taught a Semester drones on about how "We" should be doing this or "We" could be doing that. Not really having Any Clue what it takes to run a Class given the resources that we had.

I Taught on the College level. And was Lucky to be under two Deans and my 1st Department Chair who were all Really Good People.

But my Department Chair for the Last Half was a real Azzhat. Just someone Playing Out the String who No Longer Cared about anything but Teaching the Classes He wanted to Teach.

I actually beat-out a friend for my full-time position all those years ago. And a few months later, she became my Dean. It was hell. And honestly, still is. Her students used to hide-out in my classroom because, and I quote "we learn more hanging out here".

Some of our deans and Chairs are good. Although several have retired. Many are just there to "build their brands". whatever that means.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I actually beat-out a friend for my full-time position all those years ago. And a few months later, she became my Dean. It was hell. And honestly, still is. Her students used to hide-out in my classroom because, and I quote "we learn more hanging out here".

Some of our deans and Chairs are good. Although several have retired. Many are just there to "build their brands". whatever that means.

Yeah... My Last Dept Chair kinda held a Grudge because my Student Reviews were always Significantly Better than his. He even went so far as to Administer them one Semester because he thought I might be Fooling with them or something.

And it Didn't Help when a retiring Instruct told him at a Faulty meeting "Face it. They just like him more than you because he actually cares about his students."

Ain't going to Miss all that Drama one bit.

LOL

Get some Sleep. And give some of the things Mentioned Here some thought.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Well, again, "the plan" is to use this no-vaping period as a diagnostic. If I quit flushing in the next few weeks, then I'll know. At that point I'd like to try introducing different kinds of vape. Pure PG with no nic or flavors for start. If that doesn't bother me, try adding in some flavors other than what I've been using. Maybe a small amount of nic if I tolerate all of that.
But are you folks telling me that vaping is going away all together? Not even local shops? Or is it just the online/shipping they're taking away?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But are you folks telling me that vaping is going away all together? Not even local shops? Or is it just the online/shipping they're taking away?

e-Cigarettes Choices are going to be Severely Restricted by a USPS Ban, but some will survive this hurdle.

Where Local B&M Shops are going to fell the Pinch is Two Fold. One, of course is they Aren't going to be able to Ship most of what they sell to their customer. But Two, it is going to be Difficult for them to receive Inventory from a Distributor.

Places like C-Stores/Gas Stations have the own Distribution Network. A USPS/UPS/FedX/DHL Ban doesn't effect them. And they Aren't reliant on Online Sales. But C-Store/Gas Stations tend to sell only the Bottom of the Barrel, Semi-Disposable, e-Cigarettes at premium prices.

There is Also the September 9th FDA PMTA Deadline which is Rapidly Approaching. And that will make a USPS Shipping Ban look like a Small Hiccup. And that will probably be the Last Nail in the Coffin for the e-Cigarette Market.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
In addition to potential reactions to VG, PG, and flavoring, you might have to consider the coils you are using, what kind of metal they are, and even the cotton wick. Another nicotine vendor might be warranted as well or different eliquid manufacturer.

Personally, I wouldn't discount the anxiety/stress element of it. Stress can do funny things. Your doctors have eliminated a lot of the potential conditions it sounds like. Even if the anxiety comes on after the flushing, the flushing itself could be a stress/anxiety response.

If your physical activity is down because of virtual teaching, then you might want to consider exercising. And/or look into meditation or breathing exercises.

Reactions: pt91

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Thank you CAAB, I appreciate the input. I've been thinking about trying a couple of my wife's xanax, again, as a diagnostic. But I really don't think it's anxiety. I can be in the best of moods and I'll just flush out of the blue. Laughing hard will make me flush. If the sun shines on my face or ear(s) for even a moment, I'll flush.
After this first began, I realized I'd been too sedentary and started back with my treadmill. I can't run anymore because of a neck injury but I incline it at 6 degrees and a 45 minute brisk walk makes a pretty good workout. But man oh man, does it make me flush. I'm also "pushing through" and trying to get house jobs done this summer; like re-tucking the block foundation. I've never been real good at sitting still.
I used to meditate but have fallen out of it. I also used to see an acupuncturist that's really good. Maybe I should try that.
I hadn't really thought about the coils and cotton. Again, if this works and it is indeed due to vaping, I'll get a new mod, more updated with different coils, before I start experimenting.
Thanks again.

At this point, can I assume that no one that has read this thread has every run into anyone that has had this facial flushing problem?
This is from old post on this forum...

"Due to having what seemed like an allergic reaction after 3 weeks into vaping (rash on face- face flushing/burning, swelling around eyes)I stopped vaping for a week - back to cigarettes :(
Yesterday I decided to try again.

I vaped VG, NO flavouring (rule that out as a possible allergy source)
After a few hours of vaping the burning/flushing in my face started- only slightly but enough to realise it was definately back again so I stopped vaping immediately."

Maybe I'll try to contact this person if they are still a member.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Maybe I'll try to contact this person if they are still a member.

That's what I do on some of the older threads. A lot of times members don't check in the ECF for a long time. Sometimes you get lucky with the messages, they hit their email and they get back quickly.

If they don't respond, don't lose hope. Sometimes the members will check their ECF inboxes once in a blue moon.

I hadn't really thought about the coils and cotton. Again, if this works and it is indeed due to vaping, I'll get a new mod, more updated with different coils, before I start experimenting.

If you were invested in the idea of vaping and are concerned that something about vaping were bothering you, you might want to consider a rebuildable atomizer. You have to understand ohms law and how to safely build. Plus, you'll need a mod that can accept a rebuildable atomizer and also an ohm meter to test your builds. Also, battery safety is always a good subject for any vaper.

With a rebuildable, you could buy wire or prebuilt coils in different metals, like kanthal, stainless steel, nichrome, titanium, etc... You just have to understand the properties of the metals you are working with. Some metals only work with temperature control for safety reasons.

With a rebuildable, you could also try hemp wick instead of cotton, in case cotton is your problem. My experience with hemp is that it's better to soak the hemp in hot distilled water and let it dry out before using. This helps get rid of some of the hemp taste. Hemp is more coarse than cotton, so it can be a pain to wick. But I've got it to work in even tiny atomizers like Kayfuns with a little patience.

If you decide vaping isn't working for you, you could also try IQOS or a dry herb vaporizer. With the dry herb vaporizer, you would place tobacco leaf in the evaporation chamber and vaporize the tobacco directly. A lot of these dry herb vaporizers are intended for things other than tobacco, so you'd want something with an adjustable temperature. From what I've read, tobacco vaporizes at a lower temperature. Too hot and it becomes harsh. In my opinion, this would be less harmful than smoking, but I am no doctor, so take that with a grain of salt.

And finally there is Swedish snus as another alternative.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
From the sound if it, this all may be for not, if the vape shops are going under. But I will consider your suggestions. It seems odd to me that I could vape the same juice mix, on the same device, with the same coils for four years and suddenly have a problem. But to be fair, when we had to adapt to teaching online, sitting at my computer for 10-12 hours a day, my vape intake at least doubled, if not more. Even while off in the summers, I would have a big job on the classic car or a sculpture to keep me busy, and away from the computer. My vaping would increase a little in the summers but nowhere near the increase I've seen this past year. This is still my best guess.
Right now I'm at half a pack of smokes a day. And still hating it.
I thought I had seen an improvement in the flushing today but it's pretty bad tonight. I gave your suggestion of the possibility of anxiety so I took an atavan this afternoon and promptly fell asleep. I woke with the burning, red ears and flushed face. But I've only been off the vape for four days, so it's still early I think.
Thanks for another good reply, CAAB :)

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
From the sound if it, this all may be for not, if the vape shops are going under.

From the predictions I am hearing of people in the industry, vaping is not going away anytime soon. It's just a matter of what you can get, where you can get it, and how much it's going to cost.

Right now, you can still get a lot of stuff from China on sites like Fasttech. Whether it gets seized in customs is a gamble but I haven't heard anyone running into that problem.

Also, with the dry herb vaporizer, I am guessing that is going to be easier to find because it's not primarily used for tobacco. It's still covered under PACT but I think there's a stronger lobbying presence with the other herb if you know what I mean.

There is another device, you actually heat it with a lighter, it's called Vapcap by Dynavap. You are vaporizing tobacco without combusting it. I imagine it would be less harmful than smokes.

I double checked on IQOS as I mentioned earlier and that actually has VG in the sticks, so if VG is your problem then that won't work.

It seems odd to me that I could vape the same juice mix, on the same device, with the same coils for four years and suddenly have a problem.

Could be something changed about the coils if you have been buying them over a period of time.

Also, I think immune responses can change over time. For example, some people don't develop rashes after poison ivy exposure but then suddenly one day they start getting rashes after exposure, or vice versa. Just conjecture on my part though, I'm not familiar with the topic.

Out of curiosity, I wonder, did your doctors discuss/rule out rosacea? I knew someone who had that once.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Well, it looks like I may have a diagnosis. After 7 months of seeing doctors, it was the Allergist that said, "Oh, I know what this is." It's called Relapsing Polychondritis (relapsing because it comes and goes several times a day). It's an autoimmune disorder. It's rare. She said I'm the third case she's seen in her career. I feel special :/ I've been put on 1000mg of Naproxen a day (which I'm not crazy about). And I imagine there are all kinds of diet restrictions coming.
I'm glad to have a diagnosis. Not crazy about what it is, though. Although it's a very destructive disease, it has a good prognosis (94% survival at 8 years). I need to give the Naproxen 2 weeks, and if no improvement, we go to a stronger med, with the 3rd and final option as an immunosuppressant. Fingers crossed for the efficacy Naproxen!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, it looks like I may have a diagnosis. After 7 months of seeing doctors, it was the Allergist that said, "Oh, I know what this is." It's called Relapsing Polychondritis (relapsing because it comes and goes several times a day). It's an autoimmune disorder. It's rare. She said I'm the third case she's seen in her career. I feel special :/ I've been put on 1000mg of Naproxen a day (which I'm not crazy about). And I imagine there are all kinds of diet restrictions coming.
I'm glad to have a diagnosis. Not crazy about what it is, though. Although it's a very destructive disease, it has a good prognosis (94% survival at 8 years). I need to give the Naproxen 2 weeks, and if no improvement, we go to a stronger med, with the 3rd and final option as an immunosuppressant. Fingers crossed for the efficacy Naproxen!

Well at least you have a Diagnosis. Albeit one you probably Didn't want to hear.

I took Naproxen Sodium (220mg/Daily for 3 Weeks) for a Ruptured Ligament/Torn Tendons in my ankle. I would Highly Suggest that you Don't Take it on an Empty Stomach. But go with what your Doctors says is best. Also be Careful Driving.

Are you going to stick with the Smoking for the Near Future?

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
It's called Relapsing Polychondritis (relapsing because it comes and goes several times a day).

That's unfortunate. Sounds like they are improving treatment options though. Probably want to stop smoking I imagine. What about the vaping? Did you mention that to Dr?

And I imagine there are all kinds of diet restrictions coming.

Yeah, it's tough. For different reasons I've been off sugar for a while. It's amazing how addictive it is. You don't realize until you stop. We just stock our kitchen here with what works though and we've learned to come up with good options with what we can have. No inflammatory foods for me.

We've also done intermittent fasting, that's supposed to have certain health benefits. Again, it was tough at first but it gets easier.

Anyway, wishing you good health!

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Sorry fellas, it's been a long week.
Once I heard of my diagnosis, I went back to vaping, but with a stainless coil and completely different flavor. Then I decided it was all a bad idea and quit for a few days but it didn't last. I joined a forum about Polychondritis but the members do not think I have it. My symptoms are very different from theirs. They have lots of swelling and pain, whereas I just get red and warm. I may have it, I may not. I'm working with my doctor to get an appointment with Mayo Clinic. It's looking likely but I don't know how far out they are scheduling.
In the meantime, I've gone back to smoking (rolling my own). Again, as a diagnostic. My previous attempt only lasted four days, not long enough to know. I'm staying under a half a pack a day, shooting for 1/4.
It just seems to me that Akums Razor would ask; what is more likely, that I have a little known, rare disease or side effects of partaking in a new-ish bad habit (vaping) that hasn't been around long enough to know everything it can effect. I just feel I need to rule it out as the cause. Again, it's the timing that I get stuck on. I've been vaping for about four years but at least doubled my intake when my teaching went online. And as I decreased the nicotine, my intake increased even further. I was taking in some 250 draws a day, which seems like a lot to me.
In either case, the Naproxen has not helped as of yet. They say if it doesn't help in the next few days, we'll look into Prednisone. I seem to be tolerating the Naproxen okay (taking with food, staying hydrated) but I don't know about Prednisone. It can be pretty strong.
I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more. In case anyone else is lookng for answers for the same problem.
Thanks guys.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry fellas, it's been a long week.
Once I heard of my diagnosis, I went back to vaping, but with a stainless coil and completely different flavor. Then I decided it was all a bad idea and quit for a few days but it didn't last. I joined a forum about Polychondritis but the members do not think I have it. My symptoms are very different from theirs. They have lots of swelling and pain, whereas I just get red and warm. I may have it, I may not. I'm working with my doctor to get an appointment with Mayo Clinic. It's looking likely but I don't know how far out they are scheduling.
In the meantime, I've gone back to smoking (rolling my own). Again, as a diagnostic. My previous attempt only lasted four days, not long enough to know. I'm staying under a half a pack a day, shooting for 1/4.
It just seems to me that Akums Razor would ask; what is more likely, that I have a little known, rare disease or side effects of partaking in a new-ish bad habit (vaping) that hasn't been around long enough to know everything it can effect. I just feel I need to rule it out as the cause. Again, it's the timing that I get stuck on. I've been vaping for about four years but at least doubled my intake when my teaching went online. And as I decreased the nicotine, my intake increased even further. I was taking in some 250 draws a day, which seems like a lot to me.
In either case, the Naproxen has not helped as of yet. They say if it doesn't help in the next few days, we'll look into Prednisone. I seem to be tolerating the Naproxen okay (taking with food, staying hydrated) but I don't know about Prednisone. It can be pretty strong.
I'll keep this thread updated as I learn more. In case anyone else is lookng for answers for the same problem.
Thanks guys.

Man I really Hope you can get to the bottom of things soon.

Because if the e-Cigarettes are Not the cause you your problems, I would hate to see you Back on Cigarettes. I know How Hard it can be to Quit. And How Subductive Smoking can be.

But I understand what you are Doing. And you have to Know if Vaping is the Problem.

Best of Luck. And Keep Us Updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread