Facial Flushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Thanks for the sympathy (it's under rated, lol). But to be honest, smoking sucks. I'd much rather be vaping. When I made the initial switch, I had to problems at all. I went from 1/2 pack of smokes a day to 3mg juice and never looked back. I'm confident that it will be that way again, once I rule out vaping as the issue. How long would you guess I need to give it? A month?
Ugh, a month of smoking. :/

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I'm confident that it will be that way again, once I rule out vaping as the issue. How long would you guess I need to give it? A month?

I would Imagine that a Month would be Long Enough to Flush out your System.

You sure that the Increase in Stress/Vaping were the Only Changes when the Symptoms developed?

No New Soaps or Shampoos or Aftershave or exposure to things like Paints or Varnishes during that time period?

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Yes, that's what's weird. Because of moving classes online, I didn't get to work on my classic car for that year (so no brake cleaners or anything for about 10 months before this happened). I changed every product I could; pit stick, lotions, shaving cream, shower gel, and the like. I stopped eating eggs, nuts, sugar, etc.
The only real change was that I painted what became my home office. But that was just an indoor latex. That was about three months before the flushing started. I've never had trouble with latex paints or gloves.
Thanks zoiDman for the troubleshooting. That's more questions than I get from my docs, lol.

Reactions: zoiDman

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
How long would you guess I need to give it? A month?

The diet I was on recommended being on the straight and narrow a month before introducing something new. Maybe the polychondritis forum you are on might have a better answer for that specific condition.

Smoking introduces all sorts of toxins that might aggravate your condition. Also, it might be the nicotine that is part of the problem, considering nicotine has a pronounced effect on your vascular system. Ideally you would quit vaping and smoking or any nicotine use for a month to see if the condition improves.

A month is a long time but in a way it isn't. You'll be able to not have to wonder.

For me, when I cut sugars and nicotine and caffeine, I just basically gave myself a few days to be a wreck, didn't expect much of myself, and focused on just getting through the day. After about a week I functioned normally.

One thing to note, if you think VG or PG are your problem, certain cigarette and pipe tobaccos are cased with VG and/or PG to preserve moisture. Toxicological evaluation of glycerin as a cigarette ingredient - PubMed

If you wanted to stick to tobacco without VG/PG and without combustion you could get a product like this to dry herb vape: https://vaped.com/products/dynavap-vapcap-m-vaporizer

You'd need to use a tobacco where you knew it didn't contain VG or PG. If you can shred your own tobacco, this website offers just straight tobacco leaf, no casings. You could even just stick to certified organic tobaccos: Whole Leaf Tobacco | Buy Tobacco Leaf, Fronto Leaf, Cigar Wrappers, Bulk Tobacco, and More!

You've mentioned this condition coming on roughly within the span of time of increased vaping. It is cause for consideration, but there are a lot of conditions that only start at a certain age or might have built up undetected over a long period and only now have exhibited symptoms.

I hope the doctors are able to help you narrow things down. It sounds like you are pursuing all resources at your disposal.

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
CAAB, than you for all the information. Very helpful. I'd heard of dry herb vaping but didn't really know what it was. I'm not much of a weed imbiber (not since my teens, lol) but I assume you're referring to dry vaping tobacco. But isn't buying tobacco products online disallowed? I didn't get deep into the website you shared.
I agree that this condition probably isn't vaping/smoking related, but it could be that the increased vaping exacerbated it enough to rear it's ugly head.
I don't think this is due to nicotine. I had gotten my vaping down to zero nic for a few weeks or a month (maybe longer) and when I started back with nic, it was under or equal to 1 mg and that's pretty much where I kept it (I didn't realize how much nicotine adds to the flavor so just a wee bit was preferable).
Mayo Clinic is reviewing all my images and bloodwork and will be calling soon (I hope) to setup an appointment. I won't hold back any of this information but I do want to be able to tell them that I stopped vaping for X amount of time.
Again, thanks guys. This is such a weird thing to deal with. Interesting enough, my daughter (30 year old) came by this weekend and she had a flushing episode; face and ears. But it's not very telling I don't think because she is on a lot of meds due to having a pretty severe case of OCD. Not to mention her birth control. But it was interesting for me to see.
And just as a reminder, the only meds I'm on is the Naproxen that the allergist prescribed for this condition. That, and a vitamin D supplement.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I don't think this is due to nicotine. I had gotten my vaping down to zero nic for a few weeks or a month (maybe longer) and when I started back with nic, it was under or equal to 1 mg and that's pretty much where I kept it (I didn't realize how much nicotine adds to the flavor so just a wee bit was preferable).

That's right, I forgot you mentioned that.

I'd heard of dry herb vaping but didn't really know what it was. I'm not much of a weed imbiber (not since my teens, lol) but I assume you're referring to dry vaping tobacco. But isn't buying tobacco products online disallowed? I didn't get deep into the website you shared.

Yes, dry vaping tobacco. That Vapcap I linked to is made for other "herbs," so when you heat up the tobacco, you don't wait for the click (Vapcap clicks when it's ready). Tobacco has a better flavor when it's not heated up as hot as other "herbs."

The vapor production won't be as intense and it's more work to cut the tobacco and refilling the Vapcap, but it's an option if you don't want to combust tobacco but want to avoid PG/VG.

Regarding online sales, it is legal, it just has to comply with PACT act. Basically whoever ships it has to arrange for signed delivery and has to pay the correct taxes based on your jurisdiction and other behind the scenes things that you don't directly have to worry about.

The problem now is that UPS and FedEx have decided it's not worth all the hassle to comply with PACT act so they don't allow shipping vaping supplies. USPS is currently allowing vaping stuff to go through because they haven't published their final regulations. So that's why a lot of people are stocking up online now while they can.

Basically if you can order online and they will ship to you then you're ok.

If you prefer to order at a physical location Dynavap has a store locator. I was able to find a store pretty close just as a test. The plus with a local store is now you theoretically have someone you can talk to to help you out.

Interesting enough, my daughter (30 year old) came by this weekend and she had a flushing episode; face and ears.

Pretty weird. It suggests perhaps an environmental or genetic factor. Or maybe just a coincidence.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... This is such a weird thing to deal with. Interesting enough, my daughter (30 year old) came by this weekend and she had a flushing episode; face and ears. But it's not very telling I don't think because she is on a lot of meds due to having a pretty severe case of OCD. Not to mention her birth control. But it was interesting for me to see. ...

That would be Something that would Trip Me Out.

And probably make Me run around Opening Windows and and turning on Ceiling Fans.

LOL

BTW - Do you have any Pets?

• Agree
Reactions: CAAB

Mac_1

May 31, 2021
www.studio407.net
Nah, my daughter has been flushing for years because of her meds. So it's a coincidence, but a likely one. It was just interesting to see someone else do it. She's not an outdoorsy-type so it doesn't bother her much. I, on the other hand, am.
We do have a cat. We've had cats and dogs for the past 33 years and my allergy test was negative for pet dander. It was negative for mold as well, and I haven't been able to find any in the house. But come harvest season, if it's a wet one, I'll be able to smell mold in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread