Fake button top 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
These cells are hilariously fake. I had to replace my headworn Cree LED lamp thing. The older I get the more light I need, as I was about to embark on modding nine minature transceivers I needed max light as the internals are smallest size SMD and just about microscopic.

Anyway, I found a quick dispatch Cree LED fitted headset with a free set of two 18650 button tops. I didn't need the cells but what the hell.

Headset is fine, real Cree LEDs, but the 18650s are very, very fake and a good example of what is out there. They are button top, but there are plenty of flat top fakes around too, don't be lulled into a false sense of security!

1. They have the same colouring as "UltraFire" cells, often sold for lamp use, they are very often fakes, in fact I think genuine ones are garbage too. But note the name on the cell -
UitraFlrc :lol:

2. See photo:Text on the side - LX 18650 6800mAh 4.2V. Miracle 6800mAh! Tesla cars will be pleased :hubba:

I bravely fitted them into the headset, there's no way I'm going to use 2 x these things strapped to my head btw, there was a glow but not much. Nor will I charge them in the headset....

I put them into a MiBoxer charger, see photo, at start = 2% charge, 3.46V, 189 - 192 megohm each, started at 0.20A charge rate. It took 30 mins at that very low rate to come to 100%, another miracle!

They weigh 27g each, way too light for 18650 that should be no less than around 42g. So they have a much smaller cell inside and packing material, the standard ripoff technique.

Disgusting, dangerous and nasty. I'll keep one and when it's discharged and I have time I'll cut it open, outside. Yes I have done it before - don't do it yourself btw!

Photos - a bit of a rush so only two sorry.

IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Interesting, but no surprise. As bad of a battery that UltraFire makes, I imagine even they would not put out a misprinted label on their batteries. Sure sign the batteries are counterfeit. And 6800 mah in an 18650? Really? :rolleyes:

1425320727464-P-2442342.jpg

I notice some slight differences in their appearance. The above image is an authentic battery. The ones you have don't have the "R" with the circle after the brand name. Yours are labeled LX, while the authentics have GH.

Last edited:

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I've seen many of these with "mispelled" company names on Ebay and Amazon, with different variations. Not actually mispelled ofc, merely a pathetic attempt to avoid litigation.

I bought a few intentionally in the distant past, stupidly cheap direct from China, then reported the sellers to Ebay and Amazon ... with no action taken. Can still see them being sold now.

Saw a site with a tear down of some PP3 9 volt rechargeables somewhere recently, they were full of taped together button cells. Imagination has no bounds when a quick dollar can be made.

I hope it's a reminder to those who are not aware, there are many similarly counterfeit and dangerous flat tops out there too.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread