Fatty V2 Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Okay guys, don't know if you all remember, but I'm the guy who had the defunct Fatty V2. After all that mess, it took okcvapes 2 weeks to get me another one (which I was told would have the upgraded terminals, but no dice). And this one is literally DOA. Built several coils, nothing worked. No e1 on the provari, just OP. So I checked with the multimeter and it failed the continuity test plus there was no OHM reading for the device with or without a coil on it :mad:. I'm pretty frustrated. Paid to ship the first one back to them, they ignore my email, and after having to call the store 4 times they finally ship me a nonworking Fatty.

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

Will be asking for a refund, and will be either buying a clone or going for a genesis. I'm thinking a cobra? We'll see. Either way, my fatty dreams have been ruined!

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
sorry man. okcvapes sent me an AGA-T instead of the AGA that i ordered. but they immediately responded to my email and sent me the correct order, no hassle at all. maybe they just had a mix up and are busy. im sure they arnt trying to do this on purpose. but it is kinda ironic that you recieved a faulty product both times.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
I'm surprised they responded to your email. I sent three then had to call to find out they rarely check it. Perhaps I'm being harsh but having to contact them over and over just to get my item returned and without the promised upgrades, and of course the fact that it didn't work again, all just annoys me. I couldn't get anyone to pick up today so we'll see if they answer tomorrow.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
Wow, sorry to hear that. And yeah it seems like they just ignore emails sent to them.

That's pretty messed up with what happened. Just get a refund. Don't get me wrong the Fatty V2 is awesome and I love it, but you should just take the loss and get a Cobra. You should definitely have no problems with the Cobra! Vaping on mine right now :)

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
That would be a very hard comparison because that depends a lot on user setup. I use SS mesh in both so flavor is pretty much the same, which is outstanding. Let's just say my Cobra gets a lot more usage than my Fatty.

The draw is a lot tighter than the Fatty v2 and when I first got it I had thought about drilling the air hole. But I'm glad I didn't as within a week or two I became really used to it and actually like the tighter draw.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
That would be a very hard comparison because that depends a lot on user setup. I use SS mesh in both so flavor is pretty much the same, which is outstanding. Let's just say my Cobra gets a lot more usage than my Fatty.

The draw is a lot tighter than the Fatty v2 and when I first got it I had thought about drilling the air hole. But I'm glad I didn't as within a week or two I became really used to it and actually like the tighter draw.

I actually prefer a tighter draw. What setup are you using with the cobra? Provari per chance? Curious what it looks like on one and how big it would make it. That's one of the biggest drawbacks for me with gennys. Make the device pretty massive sometimes.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
ygegazym.jpg

That was the last setup I took a picture of. 30 gauge kanthal, 9 wraps at about 2.3ohms if I remember correctly. Using #400 mesh wrapped solid @ 70mm.

However I now prefer a thinner wick wrapped around a small paperclip. It just seems to pull juice up easier with this 400. Waiting on the magical #500 mesh still...

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I have a mini provari and a cobra as well. In mini mode I think it is a really good size, with the extension cap (which allows me to use the 18490 batteries) it is a little long but does not affect my vaping or enjoyment.

Provari & Cobra Profile Pic.jpg Provari & Cobra Profile Pic 2.jpg

I have only been at this a short time and have settled with my provari, cobra and dripping atomizers.

I am curious about the Fatty though. MrKV you said you build yours with mesh? Pictures show the positive/negative posts are pretty flush/close to the base, do you have any issues with shorts and such with mesh?

boog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
us
Okay guys, don't know if you all remember, but I'm the guy who had the defunct Fatty V2. After all that mess, it took okcvapes 2 weeks to get me another one (which I was told would have the upgraded terminals, but no dice). And this one is literally DOA. Built several coils, nothing worked. No e1 on the provari, just OP. So I checked with the multimeter and it failed the continuity test plus there was no OHM reading for the device with or without a coil on it :mad:. I'm pretty frustrated. Paid to ship the first one back to them, they ignore my email, and after having to call the store 4 times they finally ship me a nonworking Fatty.

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

Will be asking for a refund, and will be either buying a clone or going for a genesis. I'm thinking a cobra? We'll see. Either way, my fatty dreams have been ruined!

I had a somewhat similar experience with okcvapes.com - I ordered a fatty v2 a >a month ago. It took a while to get here, about 10 days. when I finally received it, first thing I noticed was the delrin insulator was too long. the positive pin was sunk down in the insulator about 1 mm and couldn't make contact with the battery connection. (it was sunk in even deeper with a coil built)

I sent an email to okcvapes and asked if I could return/exchange it. No response.
waited a few more days, emailed them again. No response.
tried calling on the phone. No answer. (it was during business hours)

after more than a week of no response, I ended up using a razor blade to carve away some of the delrin from both ends of the insulator so that it would make contact, and it worked. used it for a couple of days, then chunked it in the "crap drawer"

about a week later, I got an (automated) email from okcvapes asking to "review" my purchase. I submitted an honest review, and mentioned how I had to fix it myself with no help/response from okcvapes. my review must not have been "approved" because it never showed up on their site. imagine that.

I'm glad you were able to get in touch with them, I was not that lucky. hope that refund works out for you

IMO the fatty v2 is WAY overpriced for what you get.

okcvapes will never get any more my business.. plenty of other sellers out there with good communication.

:2c:

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Nevermind I found one that I had. Here you go

View attachment 154562

Thanks for the upload, MrKV. I have a regular provari, so I'm assuming it will be ENORMOUS with the setup. Although it looks like you have the extended cap for the mini, which is nearly the same size. What do you think about the heftiness there? Too much for a pocket/on the go? I dunno it seems worth it for the device quality.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
I had a somewhat similar experience with okcvapes.com - I ordered a fatty v2 a >a month ago. It took a while to get here, about 10 days. when I finally received it, first thing I noticed was the delrin insulator was too long. the positive pin was sunk down in the insulator about 1 mm and couldn't make contact with the battery connection. (it was sunk in even deeper with a coil built)

I sent an email to okcvapes and asked if I could return/exchange it. No response.
waited a few more days, emailed them again. No response.
tried calling on the phone. No answer. (it was during business hours)

after more than a week of no response, I ended up using a razor blade to carve away some of the delrin from both ends of the insulator so that it would make contact, and it worked. used it for a couple of days, then chunked it in the "crap drawer"

about a week later, I got an (automated) email from okcvapes asking to "review" my purchase. I submitted an honest review, and mentioned how I had to fix it myself with no help/response from okcvapes. my review must not have been "approved" because it never showed up on their site. imagine that.

I'm glad you were able to get in touch with them, I was not that lucky. hope that refund works out for you

IMO the fatty v2 is WAY overpriced for what you get.

okcvapes will never get any more my business.. plenty of other sellers out there with good communication.

:2c:

Sounds like okcvapes to me. Really surprising how bad their customer service is considering how amazing many of their competitor's are. I agree with you, the thing is way overpriced and has too many machining flaws. You're probably the fifth person I've spoken to who has had problems with build quality. For $85 I think that I shouldn't have to worry about such things. Anyway I finally got someone on the phone and they recorded my refund request and were supposed to discuss it with Stephanie (whom I believe is the owner) when she arrived today. So far no calls or emails or anything. But then again, when they shipped my replacement fatty I didn't receive an email or tracking info or anything for that either, so we'll see. If they don't post a refund within the next two days I'll be posting a charge back. I don't recommend this company to anyone. It has been a rather unpleasant experience considering the quality experience I usually have with these kinds of vendors.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
The Fatty V2 set up properly kicks some .... on my Mods,,, are you sure your getting contact on the bottom pin ? try putting a 510-510 adapter on your Mod and see if that makes it have contact, if so its just an adjustment you need, either way mine works super.

Yes I checked this to make sure already. Sure enough it doesn't work. For the first week I had my original Fatty it worked like a CHAMP and I was definitely excited about it. But after that one busted and then the replacement didn't work (and of course who could forget the customer service?) I am ready to be done with it. It's a nice atty, but it needs a better business to back it.

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
I have a mini provari and a cobra as well. In mini mode I think it is a really good size, with the extension cap (which allows me to use the 18490 batteries) it is a little long but does not affect my vaping or enjoyment.

View attachment 154582 View attachment 154583

I have only been at this a short time and have settled with my provari, cobra and dripping atomizers.

I am curious about the Fatty though. MrKV you said you build yours with mesh? Pictures show the positive/negative posts are pretty flush/close to the base, do you have any issues with shorts and such with mesh?

No issues, I have the mesh slightly elevated above the posts horizontally. No hot legs/shorts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354075188.496458.jpg

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
Thanks for the upload, MrKV. I have a regular provari, so I'm assuming it will be ENORMOUS with the setup. Although it looks like you have the extended cap for the mini, which is nearly the same size. What do you think about the heftiness there? Too much for a pocket/on the go? I dunno it seems worth it for the device quality.

It is kind of big with the extension cap, I actually prefer it in mini mode. I'm looking to get a shorty drip tip also because the ming is a little long. If I have it in my pocket with the extension on the drip tip will poke out of my pocket just a tad.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
If a Fatty doesn't work at all than there is not much that can be wrong with it
Negative post is screwed directly to the base
Positive post screws all the way through the insulation and the end of the screw is the positive contact of the 510 connection. It couldn't be any simpler
The end of the positive screw must not be making contact with the PV's positive contact because it is recessed too far in. And it can't be very far off

I adjusted mine by wrapping the threads of the 510 connection with electrical tap
Remove both screws from the Fatty
Snug the taped 510 threads in a drill chuck
Spin the Fatty in the drill while holding light sandpaper against the insulation at the center top of the base
The more insulation you sand off, the further the end of the screw will protrude at the 510 connection
The end of the screw should be just a hair above the threads of the 510 connector

Give it a shot
I'd much rather do whatever it takes to get it to work than call, email, send it back, wait weeks, call again, email again, send it back again...On and On

BTW - Your right, for $85 there really isn't much to it at all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread