Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I also got some Cohiba SC and Hangsen Deluxe tobacco from BCV, 50mls of each are only 2 days old but judging from the smell and a back of the hand taste, they are going to be a nice addition to my tobacco arsenal.

I really like the Cohiba SC. I don't have a clue as to how authentic it is, but all I know is that's it's a great tobacco leaf flavor that doesn't seem to have much else added to it. Your post reminded me that I have some, so naturally I had to dig it out and whip up a new recipe. :vapor:

SC (China) Cohiba 1.5%
Ina Cuban 1%
Ina Western Blend 1%
Ina Cherry 2%
Ina Vanilla 2%

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
I heard back from VapersTek on this and they told me I might've gotten the "German Flavors Red Mix" by mistake in the sample. I'm considering ordering that to find out, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

Has anyone tried the "German Flavors Red Mix" tobacco flavor? Does it have that 'grassy' 'burley' kind of flavor some 'Red' types have? That's what I'm trying to avoid actually so curious if it's it.

I tried it, and didn't care much for it. I checked my notes to see if I can describe the taste but all I wrote down was that it reminded me of generic smoke shop juice, and that it might just work as a layer filler while blending other tobaccos.
This surprises me since I am a huge fan of German Flavors, and love most of their tobaccos. I guess I'll have to re-mix this one and give it another go.

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
I've never tried the TFA oakmoss but when I ordered the Rustica TA I included the sample of their Oakmoss absolute, http://www.wingedseed.com/15259/OAKMOSS+ABSOLUTE+POURABLE.html

The sample size was very small and I diluted it with 6ml of pg. It does have a "woody" type note and something else I can't describe, but my best use of it comes with combining it with FA Oakwood. Just 2 small drops of Oakwood combined with an equal amount of Oakmoss will give a 10ml mix a wood type note that I slightly prefer over either alone.

PS. I should add that I don't have a clue about the safety of vaping the oakmoss absolute. I figure the percents are small so I hope for the best. :vapor:
JD, may I pick your brain a bit more? PM might be preferred since thus is OT.

Ta

Reactions: JD1

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
Earlier it was queried what flavors might go well with Samara Rustica. Below are my recent experiments mixing in a dripper:

TPA Red Oak- I've always considered this a base note without any brightness. Since the absolute I find so bright, I thought this might work. 7 drops Rustica + 1 drop red oak mixed @ 1% was okay. Didn't bring so much to my pallets' party. 6 drops Rustica + 2 drops red oak @ 1% and the red oak took over. This flavor has a bit too much guaicol for me. Experiment failed my pallet.

INW Brandy Cocoa 1.5%, INW Kawa (coffee) 1.5% mix-
A mix I picked up in the INW thread. 6 drops Rustica + 2 drops above mix shows some promise. I had forgotten this coffee has a bit of burnt taste to me. I think keoke would work better. I found brandy cocoa worked well for me with TPA Am Red however I think a straight cocoa would work better in Rustica.

Anyone else found other flavors beside tabs that play well?

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
JD, may I pick your brain a bit more? PM might be preferred since thus is OT.

Ta
Not sure what I can add but I'll try, with usual disclaimers like ymmv, yada, yada and so on. :vapor:

I didn't measure the amount of paste but I guesstamate around .4ml, which I mixed with 6ml of pg. Result was a dark amber liquid that does separate some but blends right back with a couple of shakes.

First off, I think I had false expectations because of the oak in the name and the site description of 'woody' for the smell. I agree with that description for the smell, but vape wise it lets you know real quick that it is indeed from a plant with some grassy/mossy type notes in there as well. Sweet/sour lands on the sour side but just barely. In fact it may hit the line on inhale but drifts toward the sour side of the line on after taste. Mouth feel/moisture seems to me to be about the same as my base, th might increase a tad.

As an additive for my tobaccos, I like it but definitely think moss, not wood. I still need my FA Oakwood for that.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Kawa is a strong black coffee. If your a fan of Starbucks, you'd like it. I find it has a slight burnt taste. I don't like Starbucks for that reason.

Oakmoss is a moss. ;)

Does it taste as it smells? Would you call it herbal?
No and yes. To me it smells like bark with some sort of floral aspect as well but not really the grass/moss notes I get in the vape. Vaped, the grassy moss notes are forward and tell you real quick that there was indeed some green in the source material.

Thanks for the Kawa info. I'm not big on Starbucks either, for the same reason.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Earlier it was queried what flavors might go well with Samara Rustica. Below are my recent experiments mixing in a dripper:

TPA Red Oak- I've always considered this a base note without any brightness. Since the absolute I find so bright, I thought this might work. 7 drops Rustica + 1 drop red oak mixed @ 1% was okay. Didn't bring so much to my pallets' party. 6 drops Rustica + 2 drops red oak @ 1% and the red oak took over. This flavor has a bit too much guaicol for me. Experiment failed my pallet.

INW Brandy Cocoa 1.5%, INW Kawa (coffee) 1.5% mix-
A mix I picked up in the INW thread. 6 drops Rustica + 2 drops above mix shows some promise. I had forgotten this coffee has a bit of burnt taste to me. I think keoke would work better. I found brandy cocoa worked well for me with TPA Am Red however I think a straight cocoa would work better in Rustica.

Anyone else found other flavors beside tabs that play well?

I have used Cuban Cigar (INW) Vanilla for Pipe (INW) and Cherry Cigar (INW) with about 2-3% of the Rustica added to the mix. Really like them all especially the Cuban. Need to do some more experimenting because I really love the Rustica.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I have used Cuban Cigar (INW) Vanilla for Pipe (INW) and Cherry Cigar (INW) with about 2-3% of the Rustica added to the mix. Really like them all especially the Cuban. Need to do some more experimenting because I really love the Rustica.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62
+1 for both the Ina Cuban and Vanilla for Pipe with Rustica added. Yum is the word there lol. :vapor:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I'm back into my SC tobaccos today with this mix.
SC (China) Cohiba 3%
SC Cigar 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2%

Just a really good cigar type vape. It seems like the more I vape these SC flavors the better I like them. Here's the ones I have.

Cohiba: Great straight ahead tobacco leaf flavor. I don't think there's any other flavors added but better taste buds than mine might pick up on something. When Danny posted on this a few weeks back I decided to pick it up and I'm glad I did. It's now one of my favorites.

Cigar: Well named. Hint of vanilla and (I think) chocolate in this. Back when I was ordering this, I picked it over Black Cigar because of one review that said that it was similar to Black Cigar but with less chocolate. I like chocolate but I"d rather add it myself when I'm in the mood for it.

French Pipe. Delish. Complex with probably hints of vanilla and a couple of fruits. Maybe fig or something, I just don't know.

Real Cig. Well named. I'm not overly fond of the ash note but still makes a great mixer for me. The ash is actually well done because it's like the hint of burning paper you would get with a real ciggy, but just a tad to much for me. Evidently, others find it just right because it tends to get rave reviews.

Virginia Flue Cured. My least favorite but only because I'm not fond of flue cured. If you know that you like flue cured, then you should give it a try.

Anyone else like to chime in on their favorite SC flavor?

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
SC (China) Cohiba 3%
SC Cigar 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2%

Just a really good cigar type vape. It seems like the more I vape these SC flavors the better I like them. Here's the ones I have.

Cohiba: Great straight ahead tobacco leaf flavor. I don't think there's any other flavors added but better taste buds than mine might pick up on something. When Danny posted on this a few weeks back I decided to pick it up and I'm glad I did. It's now one of my favorites.

Cigar: Well named. Hint of vanilla and (I think) chocolate in this. Back when I was ordering this, I picked it over Black Cigar because of one review that said that it was similar to Black Cigar but with less chocolate. I like chocolate but I"d rather add it myself when I'm in the mood for it.

French Pipe. Delish. Complex with probably hints of vanilla and a couple of fruits. Maybe fig or something, I just don't know.

Real Cig. Well named. I'm not overly fond of the ash note but still makes a great mixer for me. The ash is actually well done because it's like the hint of burning paper you would get with a real ciggy, but just a tad to much for me. Evidently, others find it just right because it tends to get rave reviews.

Virginia Flue Cured. My least favorite but only because I'm not fond of flue cured. If you know that you like flue cured, then you should give it a try.

I'm also a big fan of French pipe. It's my "test flavor" as a familiar favorite I can use to test various VG/PG/DW mixes too. I know what it's "supposed to" taste like so any variation from that standard means I need to make an adjustment in the mix somewhere.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
SC (China) Cohiba 3%
SC Cigar 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2%

I gotta try some Cohiba. I seen a few who says its very good. Same with Cigar.

French Pipe I didnt like but I mixed it at %5. Might try it again at 2 or 3%.

Real Cigs i got the same as you, ashy. I didnt find it unenjoyable but not a favorite either.

With you being a fan of Highway and Desert Ship JD, I am surprised you didnt like Virgina Flue Cured. Was very grassy flavor to me like Highway but more so.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I gotta try some Cohiba. I seen a few who says its very good. Same with Cigar.

French Pipe I didnt like but I mixed it at %5. Might try it again at 2 or 3%.

Real Cigs i got the same as you, ashy. I didnt find it unenjoyable but not a favorite either.

With you being a fan of Highway and Desert Ship JD, I am surprised you didnt like Virgina Flue Cured. Was very grassy flavor to me like Highway but more so.

I mix the French pipe at 3% in a 25/75 PG/VG mix. To my taste, the same flavor % in a 50/50 mix was bitter and over flavored and needed reduction in flavor %. I've never gone as high as 5% but that is likely just way too much. Depending on your mix, 2 or 3 % should give you much better results.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I've only tried one so far. Back & Mild. The first batch I mixed at 5% and 70% VG. It will be 2 weeks old this Sunday and it's tasting pretty good. The tobacco notes are starting to pop out the last couple of days and the chocolate is not so prominent now. It's a pretty authentic rendition of the actual cigar. I think I mixed it a tad strong. Next batch will be 3% to see.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I'm still on the fence with the Hangsen Arabic. Mixed it up same day, same ratios. I cut in in half about 5 days ago, so it's 2.5% flavor now. Stil tastes exactly the same. Kinda like a soy sauce/worchestershire/curry thing with a hint of black currant. It's kinda like vaping a super sweet piece of Korean BBQ. :blink: Gonna try to vape away half of this and cut it one more time to 1.25%. If that doesn't help I will probably give up on it. I can't imagine it mixing well with anything else.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
SC (China) Cohiba 3%
SC Cigar 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2%

I'm a big fan of the cohiba. It's one of my ADV's

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I'm still on the fence with the Hangsen Arabic. Mixed it up same day, same ratios. I cut in in half about 5 days ago, so it's 2.5% flavor now. Stil tastes exactly the same. Kinda like a soy sauce/worchestershire/curry thing with a hint of black currant. It's kinda like vaping a super sweet piece of Korean BBQ. :blink: Gonna try to vape away half of this and cut it one more time to 1.25%. If that doesn't help I will probably give up on it. I can't imagine it mixing well with anything else.

I have tried so many tobacco vapes that I dont remember if I tried hangsen Arabic or not but presently I am vaping some Inawera Arabic at %5 and its a decent vape. I mixed up 30 ml of it a couple weeks ago and its been sitting until last night. Add a little DNB and it would be a good cig a like. I plan on trying it with a hint of chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread