Status
Not open for further replies.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I found this article on the webs and I worked in SC and NC for almost a year and got to meet and become friends with some of the B&M owners and workers.
FDA proposes strict regulations for vaping | Local News - WYFF Home

I just wanted to help people to understand exactly what the FDA is trying to do.
Because I'm not sure I even can see the big picture and I am hoping for others to chime in and shed some light on this.

This paragraph in the article is, to me, what people really need to understand,

The Food and Drug Administration, which regulates tobacco, wants to put some facts behind that trust. It's created a list of proposed regulations. According to the proposals, e-cigarettes and e-liquid must be reviewed by the FDA, products would have to contain a list of ingredients and health warning labels, and some products would require child-resistant packaging.

When i talk to people about this they say, "What's the big deal, they just want labels put on e-juice bottles"

I think it's a little more then that :unsure: so I got a few questions.

e-cigarettes and e-liquid must be reviewed by the FDA
Reviewed and Approved that should say.
Now the Reviewing part,

Am I understanding this right, when you want the FDA to approve something is that first you have to make it yours, like with a patent?
And is that for every flavor?
That's going to take some time and money for that if this is the case.

And if that is or isn't the case now you have to send the e-juice into the FDA, and is this for every flavor?

I did ask a worker at a local B&M and he told me it was going to cost in the ball park of $20,000 to $30,000 per flavor of juice to get FDA approval :ohmy:

Now if this is true is this a one time fee or is this annually?

So I wanted to find out just how much it was going to cost a B&M to send juice to the FDA and I did a google search on "cost to be reviewed by the FDA" and found this page,
PMA Review Fees
Which then directs me to this page,
MDUFA III Fees
First I have to ask am I on the right pages? :facepalm:

What application type would e-cigs and e-juice fall under?
This is important because if they claim e-cigs are a Medical Device then the Fee's go up.

"GRAS" is an acronym used by the FDA for the phrase Generally Recognized As Safe.

Shouldn't e-juice fall under GRAS, Since all the ingredients are already GRAS approved? :?:
And if all the ingredients are already GRAS approved why do we have to send them in again :facepalm:

Just for the Annual Establishment Registration Fee is $3,646
And are they going to have to pay this fee PLUS the Application fee on every flavor of e-juice they make?

How many more Fee's are there going to be?

If the FDA puts e-cigs & juice in the same category as tobacco does that mean that them high tobacco taxes can now be added to their cost?

And how many months/years is it going to take for the FDA to test all these devices and juices?

If every B&M and company sends their Juices and Mods in to be tested that's going to take some time,
so can they still sale their merchandise while they wait?

This seems like no matter what this is going to cost a lot of time and money that most B&M's can't afford :(

Big Tobacco could easily afford this, maybe that's why they are jumping on the vape bandwagon? :sneaky:

I hope someone that knows more then me can help explain just how bad this can get for us :(

Reactions: Tony16

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
There are others that could answer all your questions better than I, but I will say it has been admitted by someone from the FDA the the regs they want would put an end to well over 90% of all the ecig companies, shops, stores in existance today, leaving pretty much just the tobacco companies and a few others. Yeah, could potentially be devastating.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Yes, what the FDA is saying is pretty much what Article 20 of the EU Tobacco Products Directive says and yes it will mean the death of small ejuice companies. Even larger ones will have a hard time staying in business. Totally Wicked in the UK is bringing a legal challenge against the directive. I doubt they will win it and if they don't it would mean one of two things - either they drastically lower their margin of profit or the price of juice would become unaffordable (making cigarettes once again feasible financially) and that is not including any taxes that might be slapped on them. Over and above that, ejuice cannot be sold in containers that might leak.. so i guess it's back to sealed cartos.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
First let me say that you are mostly on the right track.
But answering all your questions would take a panel of experts a few months.

I can give you my answers, but there are those that would agree with some.
And disagree with others.

I direct you to this subforum...
FDA Regulations | E-Cigarette Forum

Your questions will get for more attention there.
And far better answers than you're like to get here.
:)

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
So since pharmaceutical and tobacco companies pretty much own our governeme
If you haven't already please take a moment to sign and share the petition in my signature and help fight back against some of what they are trying to do.
Yea I did that before, we still need over 6,000 signatures :(

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
So since pharmaceutical and tobacco companies pretty much own our governeme

Yea I did that before, we still need over 6,000 signatures :(
Thank you for signing! We've gotten nearly 1,000 people to sign today. :) The real push for signers will come once the deeming are published. I think that "blank needed to reach blank" is something that Change puts up. We want way more than 25,000. :D

Reactions: FringeChief68

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Thank you for signing! We've gotten nearly 1,000 people to sign today. :) The real push for signers will come once the deeming are published. I think that "blank needed to reach blank" is something that Change puts up. We want way more than 25,000. :D
Yea I just got a email saying we hit 19,000 :toast:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
All I do sense is ... the hammer is about to drop and millions of smokers are going to be cut off from what we know vaping is today.

IMO, the vape industry is about to change drastically.
Most likely, but those that are aware and do nothing, won't have anyone to blame but themselves.
Yea I just got a email saying we hit 19,000 :toast:
And now we're at 19,095. :D

Reactions: FringeChief68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread