First attempt at dripping....what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I purchased a 510 atomizer today. It's a joyetech brand. Just a basic atty...where you drip just a few drops and put a drip tip on it. I bought it to taste test new juices.

Each time I use it, it gurgles and leaks onto the battery. It's a horrible experience.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot and figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm used to my ProTanks, just fill and go.

Thanks for your help in advance!

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Hi

I have a blog about dripping that you might find useful: Drip, Drip, Drip…

Thank you, Ocelot. I actually read your blog before I even went out to buy my atty. It made me hopeful to start dripping.However, I don't know why it's leaking and gurgling. Even with just 2 or 3 drops. I'm stumped. :(

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Harrisburg (area), PA, USA
I use a sealed 510 to 510 adapter to help with leaking to the battery and a drip shield I find is a must. Everytime I remove it there is liquid which was trapped. In fact I think you need the adapter in order to use the shield. So far these are my favorite:
Empire Drip Shields

I'm still new at it too, so the other thing I will say is practice, practice, practice. When I started I got all kinds of crazy flavors, burning, flooding, etc. I switched over to tanks for awhile to learn what stuff should taste like (and sound like while vaping). Then a few months later I gave my basic, debridged, 510 atty another try with MUCH better success. But sounds like you should already know this part with your protank use.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I use a sealed 510 to 510 adapter to help with leaking to the battery and a drip shield I find is a must. Everytime I remove it there is liquid which was trapped. In fact I think you need the adapter in order to use the shield. So far these are my favorite:
Empire Drip Shields

I'm still new at it too, so the other thing I will say is practice, practice, practice. When I started I got all kinds of crazy flavors, burning, flooding, etc. I switched over to tanks for awhile to learn what stuff should taste like (and sound like while vaping). Then a few months later I gave my basic, debridged, 510 atty another try with MUCH better success. But sounds like you should already know this part with your protank use.

Sooo..Empire was all out of stock on all their shields and adapters, but I found what I needed at desert vapes and it was cheaper there, too. Even threw in another 510 atty. Hooray. Now..someone else pitched in and suggested a "genny"...but I have no idea what the heck that is...looking forward to hearing more about it. :) Thank you for your help!

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
lol Empire was out when I first tried to buy from them too (the SS one). I used another for awhile, aluminum i think, and didn't like the dull painted look. As long as the seal is tight, any will work just fine. Just make sure you put the air hole at the top when you slide it on.

Can't help you on the genny thing

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
I forgot to mention if you don't already know... as stated the shield will likely catch a bit of leaking. A few quick hard draws will usually suck that juice back into the atty. Or at least most of it. I find myself doing this quite a bit since I usually put quite a few drops in mine. When you do that and don't hear that gurgle sound anymore it means you will likely be running dry soon. enjoy

cecsystems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Now..someone else pitched in and suggested a "genny"...but I have no idea what the heck that is...looking forward to hearing more about it. :) Thank you for your help!

A "Genny" is just a Generic name for a design of rebuildable atomizer (you need to make up your own Kantol coils and SS Mesh/SS cable or ceramic wicks)... I think that the original was actually called a "Genesis Atomizer" and most of the derivatives are called "gennys" It is an advanced device... Personally I prefer the Kayfun style atty... There are many videos on youtube that will get you started on either a genny or a kayfun. For a strict single coil "dripper" an IGO-L is cheap and easy to build. I'm not sure regarding your experience level but please do be careful when first getting into rebuildables as there are dangers if you don't know what you are doing. You need to know things like Ohm's law... etc... Great Info here on ECF and on youtube... ;)

Last edited:

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
lol Empire was out when I first tried to buy from them too (the SS one). I used another for awhile, aluminum i think, and didn't like the dull painted look. As long as the seal is tight, any will work just fine. Just make sure you put the air hole at the top when you slide it on.

Can't help you on the genny thing

Punch a hole at the top of what? And what do I use to punch a hole with?

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Good luck, when it goes well it's nice. Check out vaporkings for attys, the sell in bulk and are usually the best price. One pack will last you awhile, last I bought they were packs of 5. I think I saw the other day it's packs of 10 now. Go with the low ohm and debridge them. I like the ones I got from them. check YouTube if you need to know how to do a bridge one.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Good luck, when it goes well it's nice. Check out vaporkings for attys, the sell in bulk and are usually the best price. One pack will last you awhile, last I bought they were packs of 5. I think I saw the other day it's packs of 10 now. Go with the low ohm and debridge them. I like the ones I got from them. check YouTube if you need to know how to do a bridge one.

I hate to sound dense, but I have no idea what a bridge is when it comes to attys..... :( Hopefully I will figure it out? Maybe tomorrow evening I will have time to YouTube some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread