The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

First "Cool" Front

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by FL-Eagle, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. gep

gep Moved On

Well, neighbors, if the front that came through here, comes through there, the weather should be beautiful! Here's praying it makes it all the way to the keys!

2. Mary Kay

Mary Kay ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    LOL! We are suposed to get down to 70 or so tonight! Whoo Hoo..sleeping weather!:D

3. FL-Eagle

FL-Eagle Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    This weekend I'll be adding to the garden, plan on putting in some Eggplant and I'm even planning on trying some strawberries this fall...never grew them before so it iwll be a first.

Never heard of earthboxes, what are they?

Wonderful, another fellow fisherman :)
    I just love being on the water, some times I don't even care if I catch anything it's just nice to be away and enjoy the peace and quiet.

4. sstambo

sstambo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2009
    Cape Coma, Florida
    Love tomatoes, read here on ecf that they contain nicotine, maybe why I love em so much!:evil: lol.
    I tried growing tomatoes they just fried up from the sun. Need to find more partial shade for them. I have an above ground pool in my backyard (my hubby & I along with a little help from our friends buried partially in the ground, really cool!) Also have what I call a tiki bar that's taking up space so not much room left in the yard for a garden.
    I want one of those indoor things that grow herbs, tomatoes & such. I asked Santa for one last year for Christmas but he didn't deliver!:(

Maybe this year I'll have better luck.

5. laurel099

laurel099 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    The earthboxes ROCK!! My husband has gardened here his whole life and was very good at it. The house we live in now has sprinklers and he didn't want to mess with them...truthfully I think he's over tilling too LOL!!

The inventor of earthboxes has a place in Ellenton but they are now used all over the world. You would not believe the veggies out of the little box. I have photos somewhere...I'll see if I can find out how to share here.

Anyhow, look up at: EarthBox - Homegrown Vegetables Without A Garden

It does look like we're going to get some cooler weather - YEAH!!

6. laurel099

Jul 11, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    Hey Sstambo.. Most nightshade veggies have nicotine in them by the way! I too LOVE TOMATOES!! Must be the nicotine!

7. FL-Eagle

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    Thanks laurel
    They look really neat, gonna have to put them on my wish list. The tomato's I just planted are in 3 gal containers but that looks like a much better way to go and they even look good to boot.
    I had mixed luck with the ones I planted in the ground last year, some did really well and others had some insect issues which is why i decided to try them in containers.

Your right about tomato's being in the nightshade family and containing nicotine, so do potato's, peppers, and eggplant.

Really glad I found this place, not only have I found a great place to get info on e-cigs but making some new friends and learning other things as well :D

8. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    Plant some marigolds around your tomatos..pretty but will get rid of some tomato pests like nematodes! If you all love tomato's try the yellow type..sweet, good alone or in salads!

Nematode Suppression

Although they can be beneficial against a variety of pests, marigolds are best known for their ability to suppress plant-parasitic nematodes. In India, marigolds have been used for this purpose for hundreds of years (Khan, 1971).
    Marigold can suppress 14 genera of plant-parasitic nematodes, with lesion nematodes (Pratylenchus spp.) and root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne spp.) the most affected (Suatmadji 1969). Different varieties of marigolds vary in their ability to suppress nematodes. In addition, nematode supression is influenced by crop plants, nematode species, and soil temperature (Ploeg and Maris, 1999; Tables 1-2). Tyler (1938) investigated the effects of 29 varieties of marigolds on nematode populations. Although variation was observed, marigolds had an overall suppressive effect on nematodes.

9. FL-Eagle

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    Ahh sweet..Thanks MK

I'm definitely going to give that a try :thumb:

10. laurel099

Jul 11, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    Yup, we've used marigolds around our gardens for decades... My neighbor does too :) They do work! Now if you can find a plant that will make the aphids go away - HOLLER!!

11. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    "ANISE: Licorice flavored herb, good host for predatory wasps which prey on aphids and it is also said to repel aphids. Deters pests from brassicas by camouflaging their odor. Improves the vigor of any plants growing near it. Used in ointments to protect against bug stings and bites. Good to plant with coriander." UnQuote

Companion Planting

This site has a lot of Companion plants to aide each other in pest avoidance, growth and other symbiotic ventures.

12. FL-Eagle

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    Wow, that's a great site MaryKay, I just got home and was glancing over it...I may even try some zinnia's as I had some problems with white flies too.

When I had them in the past I used the insecticidal soap which seemed to do a good job.

13. laurel099

Jul 11, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    Yeah hubby uses some soap stuff - we try to stay with organic things. I like the idea though of companion planting things that ward off pests. I am going to research Anise... I know I love the flavor...wonder if it will grow here LOL? I'm sure my husband would love some predatory wasps in the garden area LMAO!!!!!

Thanks Mary Kay!! I'm going to read about it :)

14. Mary Kay

Apr 3, 2009
    West Tampa Fl.
    You are welcome! Those wasps are teeny tiny..the size of mosquito's I think..normal mosquitos, not the 747's we have around here!

15. FL-Eagle

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    IT MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh it's so beautiful out this morning

:lol::thumbs::lol::thumbs::)

Can you tell I'm excited about the cool weather...hehehe

16. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    I know...love it too...took the doggie out and practically yelled "yippee." 68 right now!!!

17. MissVapor

MissVapor Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2009
    Vapin Hot Florida
    just opened my windows, wonder how long it will last?

18. FL-Eagle

Aug 10, 2009
    Holiday, FL
    I was looking at the 10-day forecast and it doesn't show any temps over 90 for the next ten days. :D

19. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Oh that's good...means I can catch up on my trimming and weeding. Have to do a little each day due to the fibromyalgia but at least I can get outside now.

Had to take my brother-in-law to a doc's appt this morning...I always sit in the car...and, get this, at one point I had goosebumps!!!!!

20. trinity4db

trinity4db Full Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Port Charlotte, FL
    Just walked outside for my morning wave hubby bye...( he went to work) and Its sooooo nice out..Nice and cool, not humid and sticky :) Bring the cool weather!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.