• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

First "Cool" Front

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL-Eagle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Holiday, FL
I hope we get some cool weather... Poor cucumber plants were WITHERING! Husband re-planted new ones. The tomatoes are flowering, I don't know if the peppers are or not. My husband used to do big gardens now he uses those earthboxes and grows loads of veggies in them.

Hey, I saw the fishing talk! My husband fishes CONSTANTLY! Used to have a big boat and go like 80-100 miles offshore but now he's got a small boat so he and the dog just bop around. He catches a lot of redfish, snook and trout. This week he's been going to the gulf for mackerel to make smoked spread.

I like to fish but don't fish as much anymore... I stay too darn busy :( I do use my husband's kayak but I just go for fun, he of course uses it to fish LOL!

Here's hoping for some cool temps!!

This weekend I'll be adding to the garden, plan on putting in some Eggplant and I'm even planning on trying some strawberries this fall...never grew them before so it iwll be a first.

Never heard of earthboxes, what are they?

Wonderful, another fellow fisherman :)
I just love being on the water, some times I don't even care if I catch anything it's just nice to be away and enjoy the peace and quiet.

sstambo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Cape Coma, Florida
Love tomatoes, read here on ecf that they contain nicotine, maybe why I love em so much!:evil: lol.
I tried growing tomatoes they just fried up from the sun. Need to find more partial shade for them. I have an above ground pool in my backyard (my hubby & I along with a little help from our friends buried partially in the ground, really cool!) Also have what I call a tiki bar that's taking up space so not much room left in the yard for a garden.
I want one of those indoor things that grow herbs, tomatoes & such. I asked Santa for one last year for Christmas but he didn't deliver!:(

Maybe this year I'll have better luck.

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The earthboxes ROCK!! My husband has gardened here his whole life and was very good at it. The house we live in now has sprinklers and he didn't want to mess with them...truthfully I think he's over tilling too LOL!!

The inventor of earthboxes has a place in Ellenton but they are now used all over the world. You would not believe the veggies out of the little box. I have photos somewhere...I'll see if I can find out how to share here.

Anyhow, look up at: EarthBox - Homegrown Vegetables Without A Garden

It does look like we're going to get some cooler weather - YEAH!!

FL-Eagle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Holiday, FL
Thanks laurel
They look really neat, gonna have to put them on my wish list. The tomato's I just planted are in 3 gal containers but that looks like a much better way to go and they even look good to boot.
I had mixed luck with the ones I planted in the ground last year, some did really well and others had some insect issues which is why i decided to try them in containers.

Your right about tomato's being in the nightshade family and containing nicotine, so do potato's, peppers, and eggplant.

Really glad I found this place, not only have I found a great place to get info on e-cigs but making some new friends and learning other things as well :D

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Plant some marigolds around your tomatos..pretty but will get rid of some tomato pests like nematodes! If you all love tomato's try the yellow type..sweet, good alone or in salads!

Nematode Suppression

Although they can be beneficial against a variety of pests, marigolds are best known for their ability to suppress plant-parasitic nematodes. In India, marigolds have been used for this purpose for hundreds of years (Khan, 1971).
Marigold can suppress 14 genera of plant-parasitic nematodes, with lesion nematodes (Pratylenchus spp.) and root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne spp.) the most affected (Suatmadji 1969). Different varieties of marigolds vary in their ability to suppress nematodes. In addition, nematode supression is influenced by crop plants, nematode species, and soil temperature (Ploeg and Maris, 1999; Tables 1-2). Tyler (1938) investigated the effects of 29 varieties of marigolds on nematode populations. Although variation was observed, marigolds had an overall suppressive effect on nematodes.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
"ANISE: Licorice flavored herb, good host for predatory wasps which prey on aphids and it is also said to repel aphids. Deters pests from brassicas by camouflaging their odor. Improves the vigor of any plants growing near it. Used in ointments to protect against bug stings and bites. Good to plant with coriander." UnQuote

Companion Planting

This site has a lot of Companion plants to aide each other in pest avoidance, growth and other symbiotic ventures.

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yeah hubby uses some soap stuff - we try to stay with organic things. I like the idea though of companion planting things that ward off pests. I am going to research Anise... I know I love the flavor...wonder if it will grow here LOL? I'm sure my husband would love some predatory wasps in the garden area LMAO!!!!!

Thanks Mary Kay!! I'm going to read about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread